So, I Tried To Pilot An Ecm Mech Today...

Balance

63 replies to this topic

#1 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

And let us just say, mostly it meant I had completely wasted tonnage on my Kit Fox due to all the BAPing that is apparently everywhere now.

Proposed fix. Rather than nerf/buff ECM/BAP, could we possibly just make BAP limited by hardpoint/mech chassis as well? Also BAP equipped Mechs should have an indicator icon that covers themselves and nearby allied Mechs receiving the benefit from it.

Let it keep the current range and effectiveness and everything. Simply add those two elements to it, and I do believe the whole thing could balance itself out.

At the moment it feels as though everyone was so annoyed by ECM (not without reason, I do understand that part, though I always found ECM pretty easy to beat myself), that everyone and their sisters brothers fathers nephews cousins former roommate has BAP installed. And with that increased range, well, yeah, the pendulum has perhaps swung a bit too far in the opposite direction.

Thanks for your time.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:59 PM

But current value means the ECM usage will decrease due to abundance of BAP, and then the BAP usage will decrease due to decreased ECM usage, and both sides will be happy with less ECM and BAP going around! ;)
Win win.

Besides, your Kit Fox's ECM works fine, as long as you stay more than 360 meters away from the enemy with BAP and just use your ER lasers to pew pew away. Wasted tonnage it is definitely not.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 November 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#3 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:01 AM

I mount BAP/CAP on all my mechs. The thought of annoying those previously exasperating ECM light drivers makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. DIE SPIDER DIE!!!

#4 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:04 AM

Sweet revenge on those ECM spammers, but now I miss ECM ):

#5 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Sympathy is at an all time low today.

#6 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

ECM working as LRM cover while no short to med range fighting going on? Check
ECM working as cover while scouting from long range? Check
ECM no longer being a Streak Shield on lights enabling you to obliberate that poor guy that relied on them? Check
ECM no longer being a decisive factor in medium range fights? Check

For me this all is fine. It was nice to still go mostly unnoticed even when just being across the hill in my CDA 3M, but on the other side it is just annoying as hell when an ECM cuts you from LRM support and disables your streaks at the same time.

#7 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:08 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 November 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

But current value means the ECM usage will decrease due to abundance of BAP, and then the BAP usage will decrease due to decreased ECM usage, and both sides will be happy with less ECM and BAP going around! ;)
Win win.

Besides, your Kit Fox's ECM works fine, as long as you stay more than 360 meters away from the enemy with BAP and just use your ER lasers to pew pew away. Wasted tonnage it is definitely not.

BAP usage is unlikely to decrease significantly as it has significant non-ECM-countering benefits to streaks, LRMs, and scouts.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:09 AM

View Postaniviron, on 06 November 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

BAP usage is unlikely to decrease significantly as it has significant non-ECM-countering benefits to streaks, LRMs, and scouts.

I might be getting old, but remind me again how BAP benefits Streaks in a noticeable non-ECM related way. As far as I know, it does not speed up lock time and the only use I can see is that it will light up shut-down mech up close, thus allowing your SSRMs to get a lock. And LRMs are pretty useless outside of 750 meters anyway so the increased sensor range is eh...

Edited by El Bandito, 06 November 2014 - 12:12 AM.

#9 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:14 AM

View PostRocketDog, on 06 November 2014 - 12:01 AM, said:

I mount BAP/CAP on all my mechs. The thought of annoying those previously exasperating ECM light drivers makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. DIE SPIDER DIE!!!

The giggle is tolerable, but that uniform is distracting. :blush:

#10 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:41 AM

View PostDamon Mattlov, on 05 November 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

And let us just say, mostly it meant I had completely wasted tonnage on my Kit Fox due to all the BAPing that is apparently everywhere now.

Proposed fix. Rather than nerf/buff ECM/BAP, could we possibly just make BAP limited by hardpoint/mech chassis as well? Also BAP equipped Mechs should have an indicator icon that covers themselves and nearby allied Mechs receiving the benefit from it.

Let it keep the current range and effectiveness and everything. Simply add those two elements to it, and I do believe the whole thing could balance itself out.

At the moment it feels as though everyone was so annoyed by ECM (not without reason, I do understand that part, though I always found ECM pretty easy to beat myself), that everyone and their sisters brothers fathers nephews cousins former roommate has BAP installed. And with that increased range, well, yeah, the pendulum has perhaps swung a bit too far in the opposite direction.

Thanks for your time.

I'm sorry the BAP changes make the Group Queue harder to play in.

Unfortunately, the BAP changes make the Solo Queue playable again. Gonna have to sacrifice something. Since the Solo Queue has been overlooked for MONTHS now, in favor of the Group Queue, I say we keep it the way it is.

I know, the Group Queue are the elite of the community but you know.....they come play in our solo queue during events, so yeah...make the solo queue playable and THEN listen to the cries of the elite.

#11 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:56 AM

PGI obviously wants to devalue ECM and wants to see more AMS around. Simultaneous buff to AMS ammo count and LRM damage nerf isn't a coincidence.

Just bring 3xAMS in your Kitfox instead. In fact, everyone should look into integrating AMS to their builds right now.

Edited by Tahribator, 06 November 2014 - 02:56 AM.

#12 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:02 AM

so wow, because ecm is not not the back stabbing wonder box anymore as before you think that 1t is not worth to cover your appreach to the opponent? If so, why not allowing every mech to use it like a bap, I am sure it will find a nice place on ANY of my mechs for ECM. Because its still a damn freaking awesome peice of equip for 1t.

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 November 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

I might be getting old, but remind me again how BAP benefits Streaks in a noticeable non-ECM related way. As far as I know, it does not speed up lock time and the only use I can see is that it will light up shut-down mech up close, thus allowing your SSRMs to get a lock. And LRMs are pretty useless outside of 750 meters anyway so the increased sensor range is eh...

ams works vs srms as well, its not only good for lrms counters. and shooting one of 6 srms down si already quite a nice amount of dmg in % being blocked.

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 November 2014 - 03:04 AM.

#13 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:11 AM

BAP might mean I can take some light LRMs on my fast, skirmisher mediums that I couldn't fit a TAG laser on for my LRM's. I never run without a way to counter ECM even if I only have a single LRM-10 on my Cenurion AL.

Still, TAG laser works out to 750 meters, BAP only goes 360, weighs 0.5 tons more, but also boosts my sensor range (with sensor range module) to 1200 meters, and doesn't use a medium laser hardpoint.

It is an actual decision now, instead of a a no-brainer like it was before.

#14 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:59 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 November 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

Win win.

So much this!
PGI definitely won with this decision. I mean, everybody won.

Edited by Duncan Jr Fischer, 06 November 2014 - 05:00 AM.

#15 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:01 AM

ECM was never ment to keep you safe in a brawl, so...

Once the Hellbringer is released ECM usage will increase once again.

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 06 November 2014 - 05:02 AM.

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:03 AM

View PostTwentyOne, on 06 November 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

Sweet revenge on those ECM spammers, but now I miss ECM ):

ECM only affects me when I have LRMs.. Since BOOOM Baby Forseti doesn't carry those. ECM is an annoyance at most.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 06 November 2014 - 05:05 AM.

#17 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:12 AM

Losing two quirks and quirk power levels.... so worth it.

#18 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:16 AM

The relationship is still ridiculous..

but I do admit to grinning at an ECM player complaining about BAP... #12-4-2012.

#19 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:37 AM

i guess something like this was going to happen since we do have the first ECM heavy coming to the game (MagicJesusBoxBringer)

#20 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:39 AM

Please do scare people away from ECM mechs.. I have been scratching an itch this morning that I have been feeling for many many months.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users