54 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:57 AM

Got a bit frustrated with this Tonnes of Fun event. Like previous lance challenges, I went to NGNG Teamspeak channel and joined other random PUGs, but this time we got screwed, most of the matches were a stomp, we struggled to get a single kill. Judging by faction and mech choices, our entire team seemed to be PUG assembled within the challenge weight restriction, but we were matched against 12 men/sync drops clearly out of this constraint.

Could be just our luck or maybe this was the PGI test, but after being stomped a lot I gave up on the challenge with mere 5 points.

At least the Halloween event was nice and fun for all.

Keep up the good work PGI.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:02 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 11 November 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

Got a bit frustrated with this Tonnes of Fun event. Like previous lance challenges, I went to NGNG Teamspeak channel and joined other random PUGs, but this time we got screwed, most of the matches were a stomp, we struggled to get a single kill. Judging by faction and mech choices, our entire team seemed to be PUG assembled within the challenge weight restriction, but we were matched against 12 men/sync drops clearly out of this constraint.

Could be just our luck or maybe this was the PGI test, but after being stomped a lot I gave up on the challenge with mere 5 points.

At least the Halloween event was nice and fun for all.

Keep up the good work PGI.
So you were pitted against seasoned teams in a team based event and you are complaining cause your adhoc team didn't stand a chance? :huh:

#3 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:09 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 November 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

So you were pitted against seasoned teams in a team based event and you are complaining cause your adhoc team didn't stand a chance? :huh:

Yep.

I played all previous lance events and the matches were more balanced, I don't even remember playing against a full 12 men/sync drop.

Like I said, could just be our luck.

#4 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:10 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 November 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

No, there'd be people dropping to participate in the event, and they'd be limited by X, Y, and Z, then there'd be players like me, who thought this event was a joke with poor rewards, who'd bring a 4 man with 375+ tons, while the event 4 manz had to bring no more than 240 tons. They'd need a 6 man to bring 360 tons...

I think you can figure it out.

#5 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

Yeah, we got stomped a lot too, kept ending up against lords/CSJ/228 and being happy if we killed a few (likewise ad hoc group on NGNG.. seemed like we only got top teams) ..

oh well though, hardly gonna complain to PGI about people being better than me.

#6 Haxburch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 206 posts
  • LocationGermany / Düsseldorf

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:17 AM

The point is the hole groupchain is bullshit. Small groups are the cannonfodder for large groups wich play  easymode. And this Large groups still believe its skill  lol ... , i have lost buddys because of this. No one wants to play duo or 3men , i am also not.
Solochain is 10times better. Times i want maybe join a Clan are over .
I play for fun not to torture me. PGI is doing everything to push players out of the game , so it looks to me.

Edited by Haxburch, 11 November 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#7 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:33 AM

Sorry to hear that. Next time you want to take part in a group event, don't just settle for a bad group if they can't win matches. A team can only carry so many deadweight players. The more you have, the more of a herculean effort it takes to compensate. I ran with several different groups over the weekend. Some we won 9/10 matches, while others we lost 9/10 matches. Find a group that clicks, and you'll start having fun.

One thing I will say, is that you will find more success in this game if you hold yourself to a higher standard. How you measure that is different from person to person, but it's important to be critical of yourself first and foremost.

#8 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:37 AM

Well Rain for once has a point. The design of the event was pretty much a open invitation to the people who did not care for the prizes (or the spirit of fair and equal fun) to just stomp the living daylight out of everyone else. Hopefully the next event will have hard weight limits in them to prevent that kind of thing.

#9 CrazyWorm9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:41 AM

granted im no supermech on the battlefield but i tend to think being in a unit that groups up regularly had its advantage in this event over random pug groups playing together for the first time. that is the key is people in units communicate well with each other and know how to call targets and focus fire better than guys just getting together and its not pugs fault or groups of units fault. all im saying is dont give up find a group of like minded guys and gals to play with and fun comes first win or loose is second.

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:45 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 11 November 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

Yep.

I played all previous lance events and the matches were more balanced, I don't even remember playing against a full 12 men/sync drop.

You do know a 12 man in the group Que is not Sync dropping right? It is fully allowed and should be expected in said Que.

#11 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:47 AM

Dunno what data PGI was looking for, but maybe it was exactly how many times small groups are put up against a 10-12 men group.

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 11 November 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

No, there'd be people dropping to participate in the event, and they'd be limited by X, Y, and Z, then there'd be players like me, who thought this event was a joke with poor rewards, who'd bring a 4 man with 375+ tons, while the event 4 manz had to bring no more than 240 tons. They'd need a 6 man to bring 360 tons...

I figured that out BEFORE the event went Live. Its why I knew not to participate. I have on a few occasions mentioned that folks in an Event should not be pitted against those NOT in the even because of such tomfoolery.

#13 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:49 AM

karma for sure.

See NOW, why Solo Q. is total unfair against Group people.
finally some justice to those who think it's "skill" to fight against Premade teams.

#14 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:49 AM

Are you in all seriousness complaining about beeing pitted against organized teams when you look for a match with a large group?

What works best is form small teams instead of 1 big one, with just 2 or 3 of you you get mixed into the terribad-pugs quite regularly and can achieve quite a number of points.

Edit: Also in GroupQueue: during the challenge there was a lot of lances that had varýing tags. So what looks like a bunch of scrubs might in reality be 8 guys that are actually playing together :P

Edited by Camper101, 11 November 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 11 November 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

Yep.

Do you think PGI was trying to see how drop Decks would affect the outcomes though?

Also didn't I read about players wanting to play the system by only dropping as 2 man teams cause higher tonnage allowed to them? :huh:

Guess that didn't help against real teams did it? :huh:

View PostAbisha, on 11 November 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

karma for sure.

See NOW, why Solo Q. is total unfair against Group people.
finally some justice to those who think it's "skill" to fight against Premade teams.

It is skill to play against pre made teams, its just that pre made teams have skill as well, and experience working together. A 12 man should beat a AdHoc team of 12. And they should almost every time.

#16 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 11 November 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

this... and i am not ashamed to say i was one of those "who the f* needs a hamsterwheel anyway?" guys... i´m certainly not going to go through all that trouble for 2 items that i already have (by accident) and 1 i couldn´t care less about... sry for those that got stomped by groups like mine (well, better than mine maybe ^^) ...

Edited by Alex Warden, 11 November 2014 - 06:59 AM.

#17 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:56 AM

I think the problem is that PUG assembled groups were matched against top competitive groups. I don't remember being stomped so hard on any other lance challenge.

Just for the record, I played most group sizes in this event.

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 11 November 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

I think the problem is that PUG assembled groups were matched against top competitive groups. I don't remember being stomped so hard on any other lance challenge.

Just for the record, I played most group sizes in this event.

The problem to me has always been Participants having to battle against non Participants. Really folks Like Vass and Alex Who had no interest in the event should not be able to mess up the event for those who Did want a hamster wheel.

#19 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:59 AM

It's hard to call it an unfair event when PGI is giving away free stuff. Unfair would indicate that something or some service was being required of you in a way that inconvenienced you or somehow decreased your quality of life. Frankly, I look at these Challenges as a great way for PGI to reward active players and keep things interesting.

That being said, I do recognize that this Challenge was more of a grindfest than the others. I decided that I did not have time to attempt it, so I did not participate. I would not say that PGI's decision to make it thus is unfair to me though. Since they are giving away freebies, it is up to them to determine how they will award the free items. It is up to us to determine how badly we want them.

If PGI is reading this, I would recommend a less grindy Challenge next time though. While I think that the tonnage limits were very interesting, the amount of time required to win the awards simply did not make it worth the effort, especially in light of my RL obligations. Since you implemented this Challenge as a means of testing tonnage limits, it would have benefited you to use a less grindy event so that you could garner more player participation and a larger pool of test data.

#20 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:08 AM

I had the opposite experience with this event really. Lots of great games, and lights out bar room brawling with people in 2 mans trying to max out tonnage.

I do have a suggestion though to PGI for the next event like this.

Put an ingame counter in, so people can EASILY discern how close their group is to tonnage.

We shouldn't have to make a google docs filter, or repeatedly go into a private match lobby just to check our tonnage.

Edited by Mavairo, 11 November 2014 - 07:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users