Why Does Each New Map Have To Be A Unique Snow Flake?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Killstorm999999

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

Is there some aversion to reusing the various terrain assets they've developed so far? I wouldn't mind seeing dozens of more maps with the HPG Manifold assets, for instance. They don't need to be exceedingly fancy, just some terrain with peaks and valleys to provide lanes of fire and cover. There would be some simple structures and other doodads.

Furthermore, I feel like alot of effort is wasted on all the details that go into these maps. There are lots of little things that poke out of terrain features that either trip up my movement, or prevent my shots from connecting with the enemy. I feel Mining Collective is the greatest offender. It's just so busy with all the lighting effects, scaffolding, and random pipes.

I just want to see more maps so I am not dropping on the same map multiple times in a single hour of play (and also so its not easy to memorize all the features)

#2 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:18 AM

That is exactly their plan. Mind you it takes PGI a loooooooong time to execute their plans.

#3 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostAppogee, on 13 November 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

That is exactly their plan. Mind you it takes PGI a loooooooong time to execute their plans.

In their defense, I believe that they're still generating their 'baseline' assets. For example, the Swamp maps looks like it contains all new assets. I hope once they switch from 'generating' to 'reusing' things will pick up.

#4 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:22 AM

Yes, they are still creating assets apparently. Once a few more maps come out they should have what they need to get cracking on them.

#5 Killstorm999999

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostAppogee, on 13 November 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Ah, well I am glad to hear that! I just got into this game a couple of months ago so I can wait.

#6 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

I figure if the game lasts till 3025, then we'll probably have about 100 Maps by then.

I'd love to build maps for them for free, and I'm a pretty good mapper/3d modeler if they wanted to open the game for 3rd person workers (and of course they could nay/yay all content made for them...

But they don't seem to want to allow that.

#7 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Typically speaking, the more time you invest into those "unique snowflakes" The more you can go through and re-use those assets later.

It sucks when the game is first being built, but it will ultimatly help with the map diversity in the long run. An example of it is mining collective being constructed primarily out of re-purposed assets. Works fine on that map because its one of the first maps to utilize the same assets but after you have the same assets used over and over again on every map, it does start to look "samey." (this can be seen with mining collective's "industrial assets" featured heavily on mining, river city lower, crimson straight, and caustic valley.)

The "special snowflake" Kit building delays only need to happen when there is something new. As they invest more time in these kits, the faster the turnaround will be on later maps.

#8 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:24 AM

I'm pretty sure they've said the swamp map is going to be their last "all new" map type for a while, and they're going to start doing exactly what you've said.

And actually, I believe they already have started doing as you've proposed. Mining Collective reuses several assets from other maps, and the two maps being produced for CW's invasion mode are being built using a lot of existing assets as well, from what I understand.

View Postverybad, on 13 November 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

I figure if the game lasts till 3025, then we'll probably have about 100 Maps by then.

I'd love to build maps for them for free, and I'm a pretty good mapper/3d modeler if they wanted to open the game for 3rd person workers (and of course they could nay/yay all content made for them...

But they don't seem to want to allow that.

Russ mentioned delving into this topic more in 2015, so don't give up hope yet :)

Edited by DEMAX51, 13 November 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#9 RalphVargr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationTureded, Lanth Subsector, Spinward Marches

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

Ahem. Entitled. Snowflake. :)

#10 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 13 November 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure they've said the swamp map is going to be their last "all new" map type for a while, and they're going to start doing exactly what you've said.

And actually, I believe they already have started doing as you've proposed. Mining Collective reuses several assets from other maps, and the two maps being produced for CW's invasion mode are being built using a lot of existing assets as well, from what I understand.

Russ mentioned delving into this topic more in 2015, so don't give up hope yet :)

That iS good news! They give me the door and I'll make it worth their while. I actually prefer making assets to playing. Think I'll open up the crysis engine for a warm-up then as I've got it on my box already.

I'd like to have a multilevel spaceport with lots of vertical play and Dropships with loading towers instead of mountains.

Edited by verybad, 13 November 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#11 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostDeltron Zero, on 13 November 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Is there some aversion to reusing the various terrain assets they've developed so far? I wouldn't mind seeing dozens of more maps with the HPG Manifold assets, for instance. They don't need to be exceedingly fancy, just some terrain with peaks and valleys to provide lanes of fire and cover. There would be some simple structures and other doodads.

Furthermore, I feel like alot of effort is wasted on all the details that go into these maps. There are lots of little things that poke out of terrain features that either trip up my movement, or prevent my shots from connecting with the enemy. I feel Mining Collective is the greatest offender. It's just so busy with all the lighting effects, scaffolding, and random pipes.

I just want to see more maps so I am not dropping on the same map multiple times in a single hour of play (and also so its not easy to memorize all the features)

Exactly. Just take the existing maps and change the features.

For example, take alpine and flatten it out so there aren't any huge mountains, then change up or even remove where the bases and you have an amazing new map to play.

How about Mordor without the big Caldera? River city without the River, Citadel or elevated platform, rather just row after row of buildings? Tons of things you can do without having to completely recreate everything from scratch and in alot of way it would make it feel like you were battling in different places on the same planet. Hell this could open up some sort of Campaign mode or be used in CW in some fashion.

#12 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

I would love more Canyon themed maps. I feel it has one of the only good color palettes in the game.

#13 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 13 November 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Exactly. Just take the existing maps and change the features.

For example, take alpine and flatten it out so there aren't any huge mountains, then change up or even remove where the bases and you have an amazing new map to play.

How about Mordor without the big Caldera? River city without the River, Citadel or elevated platform, rather just row after row of buildings? Tons of things you can do without having to completely recreate everything from scratch and in alot of way it would make it feel like you were battling in different places on the same planet. Hell this could open up some sort of Campaign mode or be used in CW in some fashion.

Actually if you "flatten a ground terrain, you pretty much have to recreate the rest of the map as it screws up the lighting system in most engines. The assets they are mentioning are just the models such as trees, buildings, etc. The terrain is a whole different ball of wax.

#14 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:50 AM

I wish they would put out maps in an earlier state, before they've taken the time to add all the decorative gubbins (cars, trees, building details, little details like that). It'd be nice to have some mass testing on the flow and balance of the map before spending a lot of dev time on simple aesthetics.

#15 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostDeltron Zero, on 13 November 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Because too many people would whine about it being the same map. Apparently you didn't see the fuss over night time versions of maps..the wailing and gnashing of teeth over "reusing assets" was something to behold....

#16 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,952 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

I love the Canyon Network map above all other maps, aside from being one of the better looking maps, it plays pretty well too.

#17 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

Needs moar river cities.
Emphasis on city.

View Postverybad, on 13 November 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Actually if you "flatten a ground terrain, you pretty much have to recreate the rest of the map as it screws up the lighting system in most engines. The assets they are mentioning are just the models such as trees, buildings, etc. The terrain is a whole different ball of wax.

Are you sure about that? In what way?

#18 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostDeltron Zero, on 13 November 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

I can wait.

You've come to the right game.

#19 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

we just need more maps that are large maps that don't contain stupidity like alpine.

Mining colony is a great example of a map, along with manifold. Lots of places to go, cover to use, and neither side has a distinct map advantage.

#20 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostSpiralFace, on 13 November 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

It sucks when the game is first being built,

Like during a 2-year Beta phase?

Sorry...couldn't resist. Sigh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users