• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:36 AM

So by the rumors it seems to be:

# CW Summary?

- Unit Players will ALWAYS drop as a Unit/group.. never solo

That kinda sucks, for people with smaller units or units having friends, CW will very much not be about Community. Those players are then better without any unit at all or looking for a big high skilled unit.

I really don't like that. WHy can people of the same faction and pledged to that faction not simply group up? That makes absolutely no sense. Thats not Community war, thats Unit war with solo randomplaceholders.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:38 AM

Solos were always supposed to be random cannon fodder/placeholders/unit fillers/whatever you want to call it.

Yes, since day 1.

They way it's supposed to work is mercs, houses, and lone wolves are separate things, that somewhat co-exist and draw from each other to fight the various other factions. Marik mercs will provide the backbone for fights under the purple bird, with house guys (newer/less committed players that are still grouped up) filling in obvious openings, then lone wolves (big, strong, independent mechwarriors, who need no colonel) sprinkled in as unit fillers wherever necessary.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 14 November 2014 - 01:41 AM.

#3 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:55 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 14 November 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

Solos were always supposed to be random cannon fodder/placeholders/unit fillers/whatever you want to call it.

Yes, since day 1.

They way it's supposed to work is mercs, houses, and lone wolves are separate things, that somewhat co-exist and draw from each other to fight the various other factions. Marik mercs will provide the backbone for fights under the purple bird, with house guys (newer/less committed players that are still grouped up) filling in obvious openings, then lone wolves (big, strong, independent mechwarriors, who need no colonel) sprinkled in as unit fillers wherever necessary.

But now imagine you come online, you are the only one online in your unit. And now? You are if I read right what stands up there, not able to participate in CW because I am in a unit not allowed to drop solo. Nor, because "unit only", can I for example group up with other Clan Wolf affiliated units. That hardly makes sense and seems to punish smaller units and friends belonging to the same unit. Why can solo players, to prevent being cannonfodder not go and seek for a unit having currently those players online and join their group and their team speak? That is basically the reaosn why people choose clan loyalists, lonewofl or mercs.

Same with small groups, a Unit having two members online should be able to joing a group of another unit belonging to the same faction and form bigger groups for the battle.

Edited by Lily from animove, 14 November 2014 - 01:58 AM.

#4 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:08 AM

Soo if you make a group consisting of 4 mans from 3 different units how do you think it will decide what unit is awarded credit for control?

Im kinda thinking that might have something to do with it.

#5 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:22 AM

Seems odd they would restrict it like that... it was my understanding that launching into CW as a solo player would be separate from joining a battle as a unit.

#6 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:40 AM

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 14 November 2014 - 02:08 AM, said:

Soo if you make a group consisting of 4 mans from 3 different units how do you think it will decide what unit is awarded credit for control?

How does the game decide this when a team consists of different unit groups? that isn't any different at all from a random thrown together solos or groups of units.

A game may have:

you
me
guy 1
guy 2

how does it matter who belongs to which unit? why does it matter if we group up first compared to get thrown together randomly? would it care if you and me are solo and the guy 1+2 are a unit? It realyl doesn't at all.

And afaik, and have read the unit control will be done by how good the players of said unit did.

And then: when a team consists of 12 players, 6 of each unit put together by 2x6 groups having queued in. How does it differ in its judgement compared to a single group that would be made by 12 players consisting of 2 units 6 people each?. it would not doffer that much at all. All that the system we seem to get is punishing small units not bale to play at all unless they constantly have (many) members online.

#7 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:52 AM

I dunno, it seems rather straightforward to me.

If you want to be involved in Community Warfare, join a group/unit.

It's been this way for a while now. Virtually everything that's been added to the game in the last 6 months has been geared toward the organized groups....which makes sense, they're the primary source of income for PGI, even though there are more solo players.

If you look at MW:O along the lines of "solo players are expendable. The end result of all of your grinding is to make you good enough to join a unit...so join a unit already," it all begins to make sense.

I'm not complaining. It is what it is. If I wanted to join another unit, I would. I'm simply not interested. So, if that means I'm relegated to "trainer detail" (ie: carrying new players in the solo queue), then I guess that's my place. Sucks but there you have it.

#8 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:03 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 14 November 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

I dunno, it seems rather straightforward to me.

If you want to be involved in Community Warfare, join a group/unit.

thats why straight forward, solo player can participate? much straight forward.

It's been this way for a while now. Virtually everything that's been added to the game in the last 6 months has been geared toward the organized groups....which makes sense, they're the primary source of income for PGI, even though there are more solo players.

Example:
"clan ghost bear international" maybe having only a few palyers online because of being internationally, can not group up with "German clan ghost bear" due to being in different units. That hardly sounds like "organized group play"

If you look at MW:O along the lines of "solo players are expendable. The end result of all of your grinding is to make you good enough to join a unit...so join a unit already," it all begins to make sense.

I am in a unit, just not a superhuge one meaning I will at some times not be able to participate in CW beccause I am in a Unit and the only one online?
This will mostly cause smaller units to die and create only a few units per faction being Huge. Or it will make people go entirely solo, because as non unit affiliatedsolo palyer, you can still queue in.

I'm not complaining. It is what it is. If I wanted to join another unit, I would. I'm simply not interested. So, if that means I'm relegated to "trainer detail" (ie: carrying new players in the solo queue), then I guess that's my place. Sucks but there you have it.

It is atm what it is, but it seems to be inconistent with what it wants to be, since I can not see a common system or goal in how it is made atm.

You can solo as a solo in CW
you can group as a unit in CW.
you can not solo as a unit member in CW. ? ? ?
you can not group as unit wiht other units in CW to build teams. But matchmaker will create teams of different units anyways. ? ? ?

So what now? I gonna make a dummy account goind to be the leader of my unit, I leave the unit everytime with my mainaccount because I am the only one online to participate in CW. And when people are online I invite myself again with my dummy leader account to be able to group with them?
Woah wow, that makes a load of sense.

I think there is just a big basic flaw in the design or the execution of the design.

Edited by Lily from animove, 14 November 2014 - 04:10 AM.

#9 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

I dunno. Understand, it is what it is. You can't get the tone of what I'm trying to impart, but I'm not complaining.

Sure, it's like having to take a bite out of a crap sandwich but, so is playing in the solo queue most of the time. Again, it is what it is.

If I can participate in CW as a solo, I will. If I can't, I won't. It's no biggie to me. I have no intention of joining a group so, it is what it is.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

Russ said in the town hall meeting that everyone, even solo players will be able to participate. It's going to randomly kick off matches for a planet on a first come first serve basis so a group of solo players could end up defending against a 12-man of attackers. I was only half listening to the town hall, but he did answer that question and said you don't have to be a in group to play.

#11 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 14 November 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

Russ said in the town hall meeting that everyone, even solo players will be able to participate. It's going to randomly kick off matches for a planet on a first come first serve basis so a group of solo players could end up defending against a 12-man of attackers. I was only half listening to the town hall, but he did answer that question and said you don't have to be a in group to play.

I don't think they are arguing that, only that if you are the only one online in a unit then you can't play in CW till at least one other person comes online.

From the way it was stated it seems like you would have to leave your unit to play solo CW, or wait till someone comes online in your unit.

I'm not upset about it so long as the rewards for group play justify that restriction. I can always just solo pug in non-cw drops till someone comes online.

Yeah it makes for bigger groups, but honestly that should probably be the norm rather than 100s of small groups per faction.

#12 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

What's the source of this new drama? I haven't seen anything about this.

#13 Hoax415

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

I'm late and people probably were letting this terrible thread die but fyi this thread is based on some kind of horrible interpretation/translation/transcription of the town hall.

What Russ did say, which was quite shocking and is hopefully a mistake is that you can't form a premade for CW EXCEPT with people from your unit.

If you are the only person online or even if 50 guys are online in your unit you can always drop solo. So no idea where people got the stupid idea that wasn't the case.

But according to the town hall. You can't form ad-hoc premades out of multiple units or your unit and players who aren't in units. Hopefully enough people will let him know that that is a silly restriction and they will get rid of it before CW launches.

In theory that means that people not in any unit can only drop solo... though that was not said specifically.

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 14 November 2014 - 02:08 AM, said:

I believe this has to be the reason they are considering such a restriction but I really think that its a huge mistake. Just make it so that the leader of any group's unit gets credit. Or make it so that only unit-pure groups give unit credit. Or make it so that if a group has 4+ pilots from the same unit it gives a "unit credit" I don't know I don't care. But restricting who people can group with sounds really silly and bad.

Edited by Hoax415, 15 November 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#14 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 14 November 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

So by the rumors it seems to be:

[/indent]

That kinda sucks, for people with smaller units or units having friends, CW will very much not be about Community. Those players are then better without any unit at all or looking for a big high skilled unit.

I really don't like that. WHy can people of the same faction and pledged to that faction not simply group up? That makes absolutely no sense. Thats not Community war, thats Unit war with solo randomplaceholders.

seriously?
you do understand you drop as a group now right? In other words you're dropping as part of a faction with other randoms and teamed up with other groups.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users