My Quirk System

2 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of quirks? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of quirks?

1. I prefer no quirks. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. I like PGI's quirk system. (5 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

3. I like Skribs' quirk idea. (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. I have a better idea than PGI and Skribs (below) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

I think it is easily apparent that the quirk system has been met with mixed reviews. It has done its intended job of making different variants more useful, but it has also led to many cries that basically say "you didn't buff my build!" For example, Flame got an AC20 buff, which doesn't help it with most flame builds that rely on a 300 XL engine or higher.

My suggestion is to make the quirks more generic. Here is how it would work:

You have weapon, structure, and mobility quirks. They can be applied to different degrees to each chassis.

Weapon quirks could be:
*Presence (increased convergence speed, tighter missile packs, faster LRM/SSRM locks, ballistic/ppc velocity, and laser duration)
*Range
*Cooldown
*Heat

The four categories woulf be independent of each other, but if one category is used, the whole thing is used and applied evenly. So if range is boosted, it is boosted for all weapons, and presence applies all of those changes.

Structure quirks would be an increase in internal health. It could be applied based on vulnerabilities (light legs, dragon CT) or on shields (cebturion left arm), depending on chassis playstyle.

Mobility quirks could include:
Faster Acceleration and/or Deceleration
Faster turn
Higher torso pitch/twist rate and/or range
Increase in JJ power
Faster hill climb
Higher maximum reverse speed

The quirk spread would be applied to a chassis. For example, Spiders may get cooldown, leg structure, and jump jet quirks. The amount to which the quirks are applied would then depend on its tier (so a 5D might get less of the same bonuses or less bonus than the 5V and 5K). They wouldn't necessarily need to be proportional. In some cases all values may be 0.

This way, quirks could still boost different mechs in different ways and to different degrees, but it would allow for greater build diversity than the current system.

Edited by Skribs, 14 November 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#2 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

PGI's already said (somewhere) that movement and even sensor based quirks will be brought in with future passes.

#3 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

But what I'm mainly saying is to get away from buffing specific weapons or types. The problem I (and many others, from what I've seen over in Patch Feedback) have with the quirk system is that it pushes each variant toward specific weapons. I want a system where each chassis gets more generic buffs that do not require a specific weapon to capitalize on them.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users