Weather

15 replies to this topic

Poll: Weather? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

sandstorm?

1. yes (29 votes [74.36%])

Percentage of vote: 74.36%

2. no (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. yes, but different (7 votes [17.95%])

Percentage of vote: 17.95%

snowstorm?

1. yes (27 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. no (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

3. yes, but different (7 votes [17.95%])

Percentage of vote: 17.95%

rain and lightning?

1. yes (28 votes [71.79%])

Percentage of vote: 71.79%

2. no (3 votes [7.69%])

3. yes, but different (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

volcano eruption?

1. yes (23 votes [58.97%])

Percentage of vote: 58.97%

2. no (13 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. yes, but different (3 votes [7.69%])

solar storm?

1. yes (23 votes [58.97%])

Percentage of vote: 58.97%

2. no (8 votes [20.51%])

3. yes, but different (8 votes [20.51%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:47 AM

* Tourmaline and Canyon Network:
A randomly occuring sandstorm that turns everything into a visual blur beyond ~200m and scrambles all targeting systems and radar, except BAP.

* Alpine Peaks, Frozen City and Forest Colony Snow:
A randomly occuring snowstorm that turns everything into a visual blur beyond ~200m, but increases the efficiency of heat-sinks.

* River City, Forest Colony, Caustic Valley and Crimson Strait:
Continuous heavy rain. Mechs above a certain topographic height-level may be hit by a random lightning, shutting them down for 1 minute.

* Terra Therma:
Volcano eruption: Random event. Earthquakes (screen-shake) and thick ash-clouds, blurring everything visually beyond ~200m.

* HPG-Manifold:
Solar storm: Random event. On impact, every Mech that is not under any kind of roof shuts down.

#2 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:58 AM

Maybe not have mechs shutting down. But varying weather would be pretty cool to see in the game.

#3 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

I don't think the weather should have too much of an effect on mechs, other than obscured vision. But I must admit, I would LOVE to see a Typhoon on Crimson or River City. Torrential Horizontal Rain, with Lightning illuminating everything every 30 or so seconds.

#4 tripsangel

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA, WA

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:11 AM

HPG can cause EMP's? so why not have that rather than a solar storm? it seems to be something more consistent and timely than a solar storm... may cause IFF and HUD to not work, if not shutting down everybody not under the complex either/or.

Edited by tripsangel, 07 November 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#5 WARMACHINE760

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

a weather system would drain so much more resources. Im already having issues running a smooth gameplay. i do like the thought of it though.

#6 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 07 November 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

Maybe not have mechs shutting down

shut off the hud, targeting reticule, map, friend n foe etc.

#7 Strikeshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:55 PM

This would be awful. The visibility on these maps is already bad enough.

Edited by Strikeshadow, 08 November 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#8 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:22 PM

God please no, if anything remove some of the weather already in game, it kills FPS on maps like Frozen City. Looks should not make the game unplayable.

#9 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

I would really love to see pgi make more use of Cry engines ability to do time of day, temperature and weather. Just have set parameters for what weather is possible and how extreme it can be. As much as I would love to see a Typhoon at Crimson Straight, but that may not be what weather is like for that area of that planet. I too have made mention of wanting to see HPG under the effects of a Solar Storm, just I think my idea of its effect on mechs was less than yours. In my idea I suggested that it make your hud flicker like when you are effected by ECM and have a light layer of static over the info boxes to hint at high levels of electromagnetic interference.

#10 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

Solar system and volcano eruption are too much

#11 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:09 AM

Greetings all,

Reference lightning effecting Mech's,

They are grounded by contact with the earth and designed to be shielded from these types of events, and one of the reasons PPC's (man made lightning) doesn't shut them down.
- Visual effects that reduce draw distances and site lines require additional resources, but elements that cause disruption of sensors could be incorporated.
- This could be from atmospheric or solar effects and generally environment wide.
~ Maybe even a verbal warning? 'Solar flare detected', 'Sensors Offline'.

The other visual effects the OP mentioned would depend on how many additional resources are needed to render them.
1. Can they be 'turned off' or down in the setting options? (should they be able to?)
2. Do they cause lower end machines to slow down?
CryEngine can produce all these effects and do a great job at it, but for 24 linked systems and the server required to check everything, will it make the game unplayable?
~ even the little smoke we see of some maps has caused 'issues' for some players. Do we need to increase the minimum system standards required to play this game? (just to add eye candy?)

Just some thoughts,
9erRed

#12 DeltaWhite

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

Wheater should affect FOV , so players will have to relly on sensors (when better implemented) ,team play, luck, etc etc etc

#13 Morpheousz

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:22 PM

What seems like a simple suggestion to me, which I don't quite understand why they haven't done, is time of day. If cryengine is capable of different times of day, why not implement that for all maps. No need for a separate "River City: Night" or "River City: Day", just randomize the light level. And it doesn't have to be a hard "Day" or "Night" level, there could be "Dusk/Dawn", all of which affect the visibility without needing resource expensive weather effects or $$$$ expensive map variants. Would also help with people getting bored with the same maps over and over, I know people get annoyed with the "Green Screen" River City Night, but varying the light level would at least make each map feel slightly different each time you play it.

Edited by Morpheousz, 12 November 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#14 Biohack

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

bump

#15 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:29 AM

Only problem I see here is the potential performance/framerate drop. I already have issues on frozen city and forest colony snow, especially when I activate thermal vision. Its a great idea and I'd like to see it, but frozen city has become rather unplayable at times because of the fog/blizzard effects and I have 8 gigs of RAM, a quad core 3.4ghz processor, and a Radeon 7870 gtx graphics card........

#16 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 07 November 2014 - 02:47 AM, said:

* Tourmaline and Canyon Network:
A randomly occuring sandstorm that turns everything into a visual blur beyond ~200m and scrambles all targeting systems and radar, except BAP.

* Alpine Peaks, Frozen City and Forest Colony Snow:
A randomly occuring snowstorm that turns everything into a visual blur beyond ~200m, but increases the efficiency of heat-sinks.

* River City, Forest Colony, Caustic Valley and Crimson Strait:
Continuous heavy rain. Mechs above a certain topographic height-level may be hit by a random lightning, shutting them down for 1 minute.

* Terra Therma:
Volcano eruption: Random event. Earthquakes (screen-shake) and thick ash-clouds, blurring everything visually beyond ~200m.

* HPG-Manifold:
Solar storm: Random event. On impact, every Mech that is not under any kind of roof shuts down.

Tourmaline and Canyon Network: I would rather that it made them intermittent including BAP.
Alpine Peaks, Frozen City and Forest Colony Snow: That would be interesting, would the infrared heat vision be more effective.
River City, Forest Colony, Caustic Valley and Crimson Strait: Maybe not shut down, but scramble them for a few seconds, and make you lose target lock during that period.
Terra Therma: I might add give the mechs with in the center a heat spike, it is a volcano after all.
HPG-Manifold: Maybe not shut down, but cause enough electrical problems that you lose targeting, and maybe have random weapons shut down, or restart their cool down, charge cycle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users