Thoughts On Firebrand

18 replies to this topic

#1 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

So, was looking at the Firebrand, wanted to nab it and do something like this with it, mostly to do something different. Anyone ever run anything like this?

#2 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostVoivode, on 14 November 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

So, was looking at the Firebrand, wanted to nab it and do something like this with it, mostly to do something different. Anyone ever run anything like this?
I've seen them in game.

They perform as well as any other 'mech, meaning a lot of the value has to do with how you use it.

I've had them charge my dual gauss/dual ML Firebrand, and usually I'll come out on top. The weakness is of course, those paper thin side torsos with XL's behind them.

#3 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

Why not use those PPC quirks, Make a FIREBRAND K2, LOL.

(I'm still bitter, PGI...)

#4 kazlaton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 170 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

I used to run the 2ac10 build back before they nerfed the ac10s. Nowadays, I usually go with a pair of uac5s.

#5 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

I run one of my 'brands in a similar config (I have two of them). Very reliable rig that performs well.

The other is often a dual 20.

Edited by Bhael Fire, 14 November 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#6 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

Dual AC/5 & dual ERLL on mine. Alternate build is Dual AC/5 and 6 x ML. The mech I use the most.

#7 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:50 PM

6 Med Lasers + 2 AC/5 or UAC/5 is how I mostly ran mine with a standard 225 engine. Tops out at 65kph w/ speed tweak, and you can see the enemies eye's pop out of their helmet when you don't die to losing a ST.

I go with 6 ML because by the end of it, I'm down to just the 3 on the remaining side. Ammo in legs and CT for 6 tons. The 2 tons in the CT get used up first so I played it "very spammy" and generously hosed down the battlefield to burn it off ASAP.

It had a kind of suppression effect early game while I hosed everything down, then provided some good muscle for the resulting push.

#8 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

Firebrand is great. The high mounted energy points let you do things the other Jagers simply can't accomplish.

#9 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

Why dont you get a cbill jag S if you're going to do that?

The only thing special about the firebrand is it can take a larger engine then the other jags.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 14 November 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#10 Gierling

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostAlphaToaster, on 14 November 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

6 Med Lasers + 2 AC/5 or UAC/5 is how I mostly ran mine with a standard 225 engine. Tops out at 65kph w/ speed tweak, and you can see the enemies eye's pop out of their helmet when you don't die to losing a ST.

I go with 6 ML because by the end of it, I'm down to just the 3 on the remaining side. Ammo in legs and CT for 6 tons. The 2 tons in the CT get used up first so I played it "very spammy" and generously hosed down the battlefield to burn it off ASAP.

It had a kind of suppression effect early game while I hosed everything down, then provided some good muscle for the resulting push.

225 in a firebrand goes 61.7 kph not 65.

#11 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:17 PM

I actually take my Firebrand to the limit by sticking 2 ac10's and 6 (mark it, 6) mlas's. Slightly reduced arm, leg, head armor; xL 255, just enough ammo for the standard game, and some pancakes to cook in terra, tourmaline,and caustic. =P

My first match in that was fantastic, and it usually does decent too.

(Oh,and you guys and your dual gauss dual mlas K2's. Try 4 mlas's. Much better when ammo goes dry)

Edited by Gamuray, 14 November 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#12 Equalizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

I've tried literally every possible build with the Firebrand and in my experience the XL300 with 2 UAC5s and 6 MLs tends to be the most versatile since it gives you a good blend of mobility, heat efficiency and alpha/sustained dps potential (you can easily fit in 6-7 tons of ammo and 3-4 extra DHS).

Heavier ballistics also work well, but you'll most likely need to downgrade to XL255 or slower and ditch the heat sinks. I've even gone as far as to play it as a true glass cannon with just 4 tons of armor and dual gauss/dual ERLL in the arms, which is fun but super hard since the clan invasion.

Another fun option is to just go dual PPC/4 ML with XL340 - it runs pretty cool for an all energy build if you fill the remaining space with DHS (I think it could fit exactly 10 extra heat sinks).

#13 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

this really doesn't make much sense on a firepower level, but if you'r really good at using cover (especially using ramps and barely exposing yourself) this is so much fun to play

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0c8f40681ea0fe6

it's definitely more work to get results with this mech, but the 30 pinpoint is above cockpit level, you can 1-shot light mechs (with practice), you go faster than mechs more heavily armed than you, you'r more heavily armoured than any mech that can go as fast as you, and there's no reason why you can't use cover/corners to extreme advantage to avoid much exposure and survive

oh yeah, and Voivod rocks!

Edited by JagdFlanker, 14 November 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#14 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

OP, I use a build similar to that with my JM6-S except MGs instead of extra MLs -- link. I'm sure the 4xML would work nicely too.

Edited by UrsusMorologus, 14 November 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#15 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

I currently run 2ac10, 2ml, 4sl in the past I've run an asymmetric build with an ac20, ac2 ppc and a few lasers.

#16 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 14 November 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

Why dont you get a cbill jag S if you're going to do that?

The only thing special about the firebrand is it can take a larger engine then the other jags.

I actually have the J6S and elited my Jagers a long time ago when they came out. I did run a dual AC10 build for a while on the 6S and liked it but that was a while ago and I've been running different builds since.

I was just looking to pick up another heavy, the Firebrand caught my eye and I was just wondering if anyone had done the dual AC10 build recently.

#17 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the replies all! I'm gonna keep this one on the back burner and wait for a sale, I think, but I'll most likely nab a Firebrand at some point.

#18 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

I also have the Firebrand and its really nice, probably my most reliable money-maker in the current gameplay. My setup is 1xGauss and 2xERLL on the arms, with 2xML on the torso (link). Can snipe for 33 damage (thats 3 more than 2xGauss), plus the 2xERLL and 2xML work together well when the Gauss is secondary or unavailable. You're not forced into anything with the chassis. Very good mech.

Edited by UrsusMorologus, 15 November 2014 - 09:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users