#21 GrimReality

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

TrapMech,
Cicada's can take great advantage of XL engines, Endo Steel structure, and Ferro armor. It sounds like you're not using these upgrades/equipment to get the most out of your builds, thus you're stripping off all your armor which is limited to begin with.

Your goal in these mechs is not to have a super high alpha strike... it should be played a little more like a light mech, where must get a hit or two and run away, flank, and repeat. As always, keep with your team/squad and things will be a bit easier as you'll be less of a target than the big guys next to you.

My cicada X-5 (I only use the X5 now, but I had the others in the past) is loaded with an ER PPC, 2 medium lasers, and 2 SRM2's ... it makes a good sniper, a good hit and run mech, and if I must, I can brawl for a short period.

The other CDA's do well when loaded with medium lasers or a couple ER large lasers, but like with any mech you should be able a to find a combo that fits your play style... if not, you might need to move on to a different chassis. Also, if you're using autocannons, I wouldn't recommend that for the CDA's...just too much weight with the gun and the ammo for that small mech.

Edited by GrimReality, 14 November 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#22 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:33 PM

You need to strip your Cicadas, max the armor, add Endo-Steel, then start over from scratch with your builds and thinking.

The Cicada really isn't a traditional medium, so the typical medium advice doesn't apply, since usually that only works for the direct fire 50-55 tonners.

It may be one of the toughest mechs to play 'right'.

Edited by Kevjack, 14 November 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#23 PilgrimX

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

The Cicada is a tough bug to master... but once you do it's stabby-stabby time!

The 2AC can mount a ludicrous Medium laser load and keep them shooting. Do it! This is your harasser/force multiplier
Build this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...83041cc53d0fae4
you won't regret it!

The 3M gets to hang around the assault lance and plink at range with an AC or just laser anything that gets close.

I use the X-5 for my third and it's a really solid light hunter which I can use in flank harassment

The thing I love about the Cicada (First mech I bothered taking all the way to master) is that each variant plays a different role, and each pilot seems to find a difference

Oh yeah... don't forget to learn to take hits on the arms. Take them all day long!

Edited by PilgrimX, 14 November 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#24 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostTrapMech, on 14 November 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

Yea I am not sure how to play in a group.

Steps:
1. At start of match look around for a larger mech.
2. Follow said large mech at slight distance, let them decide location.
3. Fire upon same target as said mech.
4. Watch their enemies die faster so they survive longer to draw more fire while still dishing out damage.

#25 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:11 PM

Medium mechs are the weakest of all chassis. They are much slower then lights but only slightly faster then heavies. Their profile is as tall as heavies or even assaults but their armor is much lower.

So what is the role of mediums. To play more skillful then all other players to score at the same level.

Edited by xe N on, 14 November 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#26 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

If you're 40, 45, or 50 tons, your role is to serve as easy XP for everybody you encounter.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 14 November 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#27 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

If you peek out of a ridge where 8 enemy mechs are already pointing you'll get hammered no matter what mech you are in. I've taken down peek-and-shoot lights that tried this because they just happen to appear right where my crosshairs are. You'll have to move, use your teammates as distractions and try to get shots in as often as you can with minimal return fire.

Doesn't always work out, but sometimes I walk away with 5 kills on my Hunchback or I deal 100-300 damage without any kills because one of the spots I picked to pop out from was a really, really bad one.

Seismic sensor and UAV will help in this regard when you are not sure. Radar Derp will help you fade out faster from locks so they don't know which direction you are going after you duck. Target Decay helps you keep track of enemies for 1.5 seconds longer so you know which way they are facing.

All that aside, it's just familiarity with maps, mech hard points and some luck.

Just finished mastering my Hunchbacks from Elite and I got some decent games in, especially with my 4P. Of course there were games where I feel I could not find an opening to make a difference in the battle but that's how things go.

Edited by Elizander, 15 November 2014 - 12:22 AM.

#28 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:22 AM

My Lurm Mediums strike fear into the flanks of the enemy. The 2D2, the Doomcrow, the 4J... ... and the list gets only bigger.

#29 TrapMech

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:34 AM

Yea it is a bad mech for my playing style but since I am almost at elite with them I will keep going for now. Mistakes now makes for less mistakes later I guess.

#30 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 November 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

I do fine in my Mediums.

Mediums are all about supporting the big boys, holding to cover, but keeping the fast guys off the big guys:

so basically: pointless
because support means: the main forces need to bring out a successfull tactic that you can support. if they don't you won't find a proper place in the match and probably end dying without use.
thats why people prefer lights or heavies, both are able to make their own show and being a truly deciding factor in nearly any game, while a medium does this only in a few.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 15 November 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

so basically: pointless
because support means: the main forces need to bring out a successfull tactic that you can support. if they don't you won't find a proper place in the match and probably end dying without use.
thats why people prefer lights or heavies, both are able to make their own show and being a truly deciding factor in nearly any game, while a medium does this only in a few.

Tell yourself that if you wish. And then ask yourself how my pointless mech just killed you.

If the team doesn't come up with a proper tactic, whether you drive a Light, Medium, Heavy or Assault, you have pretty much lost, anyhow.

As for a deciding factor, I have lost track of how many times my Vindicator, Centurion, Hunchback, Shadowhawk saved the match.

But by all means, continue to underestimate what a good Medium can do. Just makes my day easier.

#32 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:33 AM

Medium could be good if their profiles would be more narrow.

However, 15-25 km/h doesn't give you enough mobility to be on par to a heavy that is 20 ton heavier.

The only reason that mediums are playable is that most mediums are XL-friendly. That some exceptional players are successful with mediums don't mean that mediums are balanced.

Edited by xe N on, 15 November 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

View Postxe N on, on 15 November 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

However, 25 km/h doesn't give you enough mobility to be on par to a heavy that is 20 ton heavier.

Yet I use them everyday.

Speed in the open, is yeah, not that impressive. On the other hand I have plenty enough to flank, hit and run, and otherwise put myself into positions heavies and assaults can't, and considerably more firepower to deliver on target than lights.

It's all about learning the nuances. Some people simply suck at mediums, compared to other classes, same as some folks suck at Lights, Heavies, etc.

#34 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 November 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Yet I use them everyday.

Speed in the open, is yeah, not that impressive. On the other hand I have plenty enough to flank, hit and run, and otherwise put myself into positions heavies and assaults can't, and considerably more firepower to deliver on target than lights.

It's all about learning the nuances. Some people simply suck at mediums, compared to other classes, same as some folks suck at Lights, Heavies, etc.

I consider myself as a good (not excellent) medium pilot and I know exactly what you mean.

Although I'm quite successful with my mediums, I feel it costs considering more skill to play my medium then my assaults or even lights to score the same.

Edited by xe N on, 15 November 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#35 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

View Postxe N on, on 15 November 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

However, 15-25 km/h doesn't give you enough mobility to be on par to a heavy that is 20 ton heavier.

The only reason that mediums are playable is that most mediums are XL-friendly. That some exceptional players are successful with mediums don't mean that mediums are balanced.

The only map that's really true for, is a wide open one like Caustic. Even in a 106kph 55 tonner, you can out maneuver an 89kph Timber 1v1. If you're worth your salt anyway.

Edited by Kevjack, 15 November 2014 - 08:57 AM.

#36 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

View Postxe N on, on 15 November 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

I consider myself as a good (not excellent) medium pilot and I know exactly what you mean.

Although I'm quite successful with my mediums, I feel it costs considering more skill to play my medium then my assaults or even lights to score the same.

It probably does. But to me that is the reward in itself, forcing myself to play to a higher level. If I wanted easy, I'd stick to my Timber Wolf, lol.

#37 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:14 AM

View PostKevjack, on 15 November 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

The only map that's really true for, is a wide open one like Caustic. Even in a 106kph 55 tonner, you can out maneuver an 89kph Timber 1v1. If you're worth your salt anyway.

Yeah, because there are so many 106 kpH mediums ... The only playable 106 kpH medium is the SCR.

Any 55 ton IS med that can use a XL325 and do use it to move at that speed is in fact seriously gimped or at least something quite exotic. Best engine size for 55 ton mediums is 260 to 300.

You may outmaneuver a bad timberwolf player, however, you wont kill him with that tiny firepower left before his buddies kill you.

And 1vs1? How is that relevant? If there is the very rare situation of an 1vs1 both player or their groud did already an huge tactical mistake.

Especially if one of the player is a medium.

Edited by xe N on, 15 November 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#38 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostTrapMech, on 14 November 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

Ok in my medium Cicada I either get cut up by two smaller mechs or pounded by a heavy or assault mech.

So is a medium just good for pop shots?

Role of the cicada? To be a beautiful mech, run around and show off :lol:

#39 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:36 AM

View Postxe N on, on 15 November 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Yeah, because there are so many 106 kpH mediums ... The only playable 106 kpH medium is the SCR.

Any 55 ton IS med that can use a XL325 and do use it to move at that speed is in fact seriously gimped or at least something quite exotic. Best engine size for 55 ton mediums is 260 to 300.

You may outmaneuver a bad timberwolf player, however, you wont kill him with that tiny firepower left before his buddies kill you.

And 1vs1? How is that relevant? If there is the very rare situation of an 1vs1 both player or their groud did already an huge tactical mistake.

Especially if one of the player is a medium.

I should've said 100+ instead of exactly 106, to be more accurate. All of my SRM bomber or energy heavy 50 or 55 tonners run over 100kph, using between XL300 to XL325. Loup De Guerre. GRF-3M, Sparky, SHD-2D2, WVR-7K, WVR-6K (and of course the Crow lol) etc. They pack enough firepower to put down a heavy mech, easily. I can provide builds if you'd like.

It felt relevant because I was specifically replying to your comment about maneuverability.

"However, 15-25 km/h doesn't give you enough mobility to be on par to a heavy that is 20 ton heavier."

If you weren't talking about 1v1, pardon me, as I misunderstood what you were saying. What did you mean by on par?

#40 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

They really do need to differentiate light/medium from heavy/assault

Id like to see the following changes:

1) remove speed tweak and anchor turn from heavy/assault skill trees. replace with skills that add shake reduction and damage reduction instead.

2) halve the base sensor range of heavies/assaults from 800m to 400m. That way heavies/assaults can no longer spot on their own and have to rely more on lights/mediums for sensor information.

a friggin atlas with Command Console, BAP, and ASM should NOT have a better detection range than a raven with BAP and ASM. for scouting to become an actual role, the lighter mechs have to be better at it than the heavier mechs.

Edited by Khobai, 15 November 2014 - 10:47 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users