Ripple Fire Idea For Missile Systems

2 replies to this topic

Poll: Ripple Fire and Targeting Idea (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the presented idea for Inner Sphere LRMs?

1. Yes (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. No (4 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

3. Abstain (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (Please leave a reply) (0 votes [0.00%])

Do you like the pattern for SRMs?

1. Yes (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. No (5 votes [71.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Would you also like to see SRMs be able to Lock and Track like LRMs?

1. Yes (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. No (6 votes [85.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:49 AM

I wanted to share a different take on Missile systems using a modified ripple fire pattern.

Currently SRMs, SSRMs and Inner Sphere LRMs fire off as big blob together. SRMs hit where you can aim and account for missile speed, SSRMs utilize the bone targeting system while LRMs also group together but have varying spread based on the base launchers used. Basically smaller Launchers are better than bigger ones, certainly for the Inner Sphere; Clans with their Stream style might be fine as-is, which is what brings me to sharing this following idea.

For Inner Sphere LRMs, it might be interesting to have a modified ripple fire pattern that maybe could also utilize the SSRM bone targeting system, but at least have missiles ripple fire.

So here is a sample of the pattern:

Posted Image

Upon firing the Weapon Groups we would see a stream of missiles fly from the launchers.

Purple first missile, Green 2nd, Yellow 3rd, Orange 4th, and last Red Missile.

In effect:
LRM 5: one Stream of 5 Missiles
LRM 10: two Streams of 5 Missiles
LRM 15: three Streams of 5 Missiles
LRM 20: four Streams of 5 Missiles

The targeting aspect would be each stream would attempt to target the same bone, so with a good salvo, all five missiles in a stream have an opportunity to hit the same targeted section, with up to four random bones target-able from an LRM 20.

Situations where there is a mismatch in mech tube count to Installed Launcher should hypothetically make the fired LRMs fire more streams, one after another, but it would certainly need testing.

I would feel that it would be an improvement though, from current LRM mechanics like the Champion Stalker. The two 10 tubes in the arms would each allow two streams of 5 missiles at a time, while the torso 6 tubes would ideally each allow one stream at a time.

For SRMs and SSRMs a similar but shorter pattern would follow:

Posted Image

SRM 2: one Stream of two
SRM 4: two Streams of two
SRM 6: three Streams of two

If SRMs remain dead fire, then this pattern could allow a much tighter spread on the missiles being fired, although I still think it would be nice to explore Lock On Targeting for SRMs so that they could either fire with a lock and track or keep firing without a Lock like LRMs.

SSRMs shouldn't change too much if such a pattern could be used for them, more simply mentioned from being an available missile system in the game than anything else.

And as a side note, LRM Impulse values likely still need some adjusting (lowering), especially if such a ripple fire pattern can be implemented.

Let me know what you think!

#2 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

No because AMS.

No because AMS.

No because streaks.

#3 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:20 AM

View PostMaccasimus, on 15 November 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Inner Sphere LRMs would likely receive a boost since an LRM 20 would have an opportunity to match four LRM 5s upon hitting a target with a change. Meaning less wasted ammo on such launchers; at least unlike now where boated smaller Launchers are simply better.

Furthermore, a modified SRM pattern is provided since Missile Systems need focused attention also. If such a tweak is necessary or not should be a separate call IMHO.

Therefore if a better pattern is not needed to be explored for SRMs so be it just vote!; I simply feel that a different look is also warranted with how missiles currently operate. and I tend to operate SRMers by the way so again vote. :ph34r:

SSRMs therefore are the further-st on the horizon where IS LRMs need the most immediate reevaluation for the time being in my view, but go ahead and vote anyway! :ph34r: .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users