So mercs will be PART of the houses not apart from them?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Quote from the main FAQ:
Q. Will you be able to pick what faction you play in MechWarrior® Online™?

A. When you first create your pilot, you are going to have to align yourself with one of the Great Houses in the BattleTech® Universe. Each house will have its benefits and drawbacks and it will be up to you to read up on the house selection menu on which house you will pledge your allegiance.

Q. Will players have the ability to form their own custom clans in MechWarrior® Online™?

A. We're trying to be careful with the naming of some features in MechWarrior® Online™ and "clans" is one of them. Players will be able to form their own customized Mercenary Corporations (Merc Corps for short). These operate in the same way that the term clan refers to in other first person shooters. A better way of thinking about Merc Corps is as a "guild". Within the guild you can create Lances("parties") and join matches in that manner.

saw this in another thread

#2 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

I'm going to be in my own merc corp if nuke doesn't show up

#3 Nairdowell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 193 posts
  • LocationDeep in my hidden lab, atop a mountain, somewhere in the backwoods of Tennessee, USA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

I'm thinking (read that as assume) that this section is refering to when the Community Warfare section goes live... I don't think we'll be part of any house at the start....

Just my 2 c-bills...

#4 Greyrook

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

I was mistaken, if this developer blog is still relevant (?) http://mwomercs.com/...munity-warfare/

quote:
Players can be active or passive participants in this battle by following one of three paths:
  • Pledging Allegiance to a Faction
  • Joining a Mercenary Corporation
  • Remaining Neutral
So maybe you can be a housemate or a merc or neither. But somewhere there is misinformation becasue the main faq on the site says otherwise.

#5 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

Everyone will join a House in the beginning, without exception, unless the developers have changed this. From there, Merc Corps will be broken out and people can be recruited/join a Merc Corps. The Merc Corps, or unit if you prefer, will fight on border planets, while the Houses will fight for faction worlds. Merc Corps will be able to be made up of people from any/all House's, and their Loyalty Points will be mixed together to help determine the kinds of contracts and pay they will be able to get.

#6 TripleHex

• 1,636 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

I'm seeing answers ranging all over the board here, and I think a dev or something needs to answer this question, as they will know more about it than we will. Translation: GARTH!!! PAUL!!! HEEEEELP!!!

#7 Greyrook

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 25 June 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Everyone will join a House in the beginning, without exception, unless the developers have changed this. From there, Merc Corps will be broken out and people can be recruited/join a Merc Corps. The Merc Corps, or unit if you prefer, will fight on border planets, while the Houses will fight for faction worlds. Merc Corps will be able to be made up of people from any/all House's, and their Loyalty Points will be mixed together to help determine the kinds of contracts and pay they will be able to get.

yeah, see, that's what I thought, but somebody linked to a dev diary that says it's not mandatory. who's got the real scoop on this? HELP! PANIC! I DON'T KNOW WHETHER A SLIGHTLY ARBITRARY ASPECT OF THE GAME IS ONE WAY OR THE OTHER!

#8 oohawkoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

mercs are hired hands ... any house should be able to hire them to fight for em ..... its prolly where the contract system will come in but they arnt house members =X .... tho they might end up being ex house members if they happen to leave one =3

#9 Balls of Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:07 AM

View Postoohawkoo, on 25 June 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

mercs are hired hands ... any house should be able to hire them to fight for em ..... its prolly where the contract system will come in but they arnt house members =X .... tho they might end up being ex house members if they happen to leave one =3

This was what I was thinking too. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but from what I gather Border worlds are fought over by Merc Corps exclusively and Faction worlds are fought over by Houses exclusively. I would've thought though that Houses would be able to hire Mercs to fight for them on Faction worlds via contracts. I've heard a bidding system mentioned so it might be a case that a contested planet could be won or lost on who the Mercs back, pretty intriguing.

#10 Wolvenhaven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 25 June 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

I'm going to be in my own merc corp if nuke doesn't show up

Probably should have stayed with AOD when everyone left seeing as they didn't even let you into FG.

#11 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostWolvenhaven, on 26 June 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

Probably should have stayed with AOD when everyone left seeing as they didn't even let you into FG.

Well I'm not going to get into why I left AOD, but FG's management turned out to be everything they acted like. NUKE turned out to be a pretty damn good home, although for my own health I now avoid world of tanks like the plague

#12 Bolo Warden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 168 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

I am going to guess that at the start, you will be a part of a great house. The reason why I will guess this is so the Devs can select which possible group of mechs you have to choose from at the start. What you do 30-secs into the game is up to you...stay with the House, go Lone Wolf, or perhaps join a Merc corp.

#13 Wolv e

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Mexico USA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Merc Corp will be considered a "house" upon which you can then form your merc unit and name it. Same goes for when you join a house, you get to name your unit and support the house you chose to give your loyalty to.

Mercs make a name by the completion of their missions, where as a house unit gains prestige and rank from the house they serve. Both types can own worlds and gain the resources and perks that comes from those worlds, but the merc have more options as they can take "border" worlds while house units can only claim worlds within the borders of the house they favor.

Hope this helps.....

edit for typos

Edited by Wolv e, 26 June 2012 - 09:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users