Leg Sizes And Armor/hp

10 replies to this topic

#1 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

Shouldn't the leg size reflect the Armor and HP number?

When you compare a catapult leg with 90 Armor/HP, that looks 3x the size in game as of a Storm crow leg which has up to 78, that just doesn't feel right.

Is that the result of some mysterious clan tech?

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

It's the result of the various artworks available. Catapult has fat legs compared to Stormcrow in every picture I've ever seen.

#3 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

the size of the leg is mostly based on its internal structure. Bigger mech, needs bigger legs (cept the awesome because...)
Also Armor points don't really matter, because the armor plates for a 60 ton mech are different than for a 20 ton mech.

#4 DaniBot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

Lolski, i imagine a Locust without weapons (+5 free tons) which carries an Atlas without any equipment (overall weight 5 tons) around at speed over 170kp/h.

You have some more thoughts / questions ?

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

Summoner legs need a lot of help. Its' the only heavy mech i get legged in all the time when running full armor.

#6 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

Take the armor aside, but no one can plausible explain, why there is only 4 HP difference between a Storc.. erm Storm crow leg and an Catapult sized leg.

I don't want to take anything away, but all these thick legged Mechs need big HP buffs of around 20+.

#7 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostMainhunter, on 16 November 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

Take the armor aside, but no one can plausible explain, why there is only 4 HP difference between a Storc.. erm Storm crow leg and an Catapult sized leg.

I don't want to take anything away, but all these thick legged Mechs need big HP buffs of around 20+.

They are that way because the looks of these 'Mechs were designed long ago (this game has a 30-year history). They are supposed to be that big.

And your HP buff? Not going to happen.

#8 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 16 November 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

They are that way because the looks of these 'Mechs were designed long ago (this game has a 30-year history). They are supposed to be that big.

And your HP buff? Not going to happen.

I'm playing MW games since 20 years, but thx for the info, anyway.

#9 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Stop stripping leg armor. Jerkwads like me usually put a round into your leg to see how the pretty colors change. If it turns orange, I keep shooting.

#10 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

Again, i dont want to strip anything away.... more strengthen the big leggers.... it's just fair.

#11 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

If heavy legs get more heavily armored, they'll have higher individual caps than the 'Mechs side torsos and even in some cases the CTs. At that point they'll never get legged because it'll be universally easier and more effective to core out a 'Mech than leg it.

Remember, you only have to blow up one CT... or one side torso for an IS XL 'Mech. You have to destroy both legs for a kill, and they already have more combined armor and HP than the CT does. Yes, losing a leg cripples your 'Mech... as it should be. They're harder to land solid hits on since they move so much, which gives them more 'effective' armor than they have based on the numbers alone since many of the shots aimed at a moving leg will simply miss. Therefore, unless a 'Mech is standing perfectly still, not moving or turning, or some goof has stripped most of its leg armor off for tonnage, it already takes more weapons fire to blast off a leg than it does to core out a CT. People leg 'Mechs because they need to cripple them for one reason or another, not because it's generally the fastest way to make a kill.

I drive lights and mediums, and leg armor feels fine to me even though many heavies can blow one of mine off from full armor in one or two shots... it takes them several shots to leg each other, and it takes me quite a few shots to leg any of them. When I see heavies and assaults get legged, they tend to be under fire from at least two enemy 'Mechs, and in a situation where they might be able to escape or outmaneuver their attackers if they aren't crippled quickly... but where they can be quickly dispatched after they're pinned down.

Other reasons to leg a 'Mech are to separate it from its faster-moving team (if the team is not well coordinated) or to slow down the entire enemy team by crippling a key 'Mech (if the team is coordinated enough to cover its damaged member). If that can't be done with a reasonable amount of damage (about the same amount as a torso section, give or take a few points), it won't be worth doing.

So... what you're asking is basically for PGI to nerf a perfectly valid tactical decision until it isn't a viable option anymore except for heavier 'Mechs facing lights and mediums. It isn't a problem to begin with- you're not generally going to lose a leg unless you've stripped armor off it for tonnage, or if you've landed in a situation where crippling you makes more sense than killing you outright. In either case, the mistake isn't in the game mechanics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users