• 1,805 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

I received my Gigabyte laptop Thursday and got MWO set up on it. Specs:

Core i7 4710M
Geforce GTX 870M
8GB DDR3-1600 (2x 4GB)
1TB 7200RPM HDD
Windows 8.1 64-bit

I haven't done anything configuration-wise to the laptop yet, so performance may be able to be improved a bit. I was able to average 45fps in battle with everything set to 'Medium' @ 1920x1080 in DX9 mode. I'm looking forward to doing some tweaking and seeing what I can get out of this laptop.

#23 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:52 AM

Wired, I would find it hard to believe that you couldn't play on the highest settings at 1080P. The CPU isn't going to give 60fps, obviously, but the GPU should not be bottlenecking anything, not at that resolution.

#24 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

I'm thinking most things on high is a very viable goal, but I don't think very high is going to be an option. We shall see!

#25 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

my toshiba satellite runs MWO just fine, min ram specs, but with the dual core running 2g chips, I can run on lowest settings. been doing so since open beta, runs on 3g phone wifi hotspot, running on wifi off of a cable modem now, and have run direct line from router/modem, whatever its all called

#26 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostCatamount, on 07 December 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Wired, I would find it hard to believe that you couldn't play on the highest settings at 1080P. The CPU isn't going to give 60fps, obviously, but the GPU should not be bottlenecking anything, not at that resolution.

So Gigabyte has this font zoom thing in its "smart manager" (a suite that gives easy mouse click access to brightness, volume, fan speed, etc) that was set at 125%. It definitely made things easier to read on-screen (1080p on a 15" monitor can bug your eyes after awhile). Thing is, as soon as I turned it off, my 3DMark Firestrike score nearly doubled! Turned it back on, and it does appear to be zooming pretty much everything in. Nothing gets cut off when I launch the game at 1920x1080, but if I alt-tab out everything else is zoomed in (like the task bar and all that). Will have to retest after work today.

#27 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostUminix, on 07 December 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

my toshiba satellite runs MWO just fine, min ram specs, but with the dual core running 2g chips, I can run on lowest settings. been doing so since open beta, runs on 3g phone wifi hotspot, running on wifi off of a cable modem now, and have run direct line from router/modem, whatever its all called

I also have a Toshiba Satellite that i purchased in January 2010 that came with the stock graphics card and not the Nvidia 310 graphics card that was an option at the time. So I have an unsupported graphics card that runs now at 9-16 frames persecond depending on the map, compared to 4-6 frames persecond in December 2012 and early 2013. I can play, but it does limit how I can play. Even with a running a subpar system I still made the griffins leader board for the chassis challenge in October. I'm still wondering how that happened. Maybe they thought by juking they would throw me off, but I did not see the juking before I fired.

I also run on a wifi system, with a wireless mouse. Yes, I know it is not recommended to run on a wifi or wireless mouse when gaming, but it is what I like to use.

#28 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

Medium particles seems to be the sweet spot for the i7 4710M. Final testing shows a consistent 45-60FPS at 1920x1080 using the following settings: particles=medium, post processing=medium, texturing=very high, everything else high, postaa. I can put the post processing back on high and get almost the same fps, but there were a couple of quick dips to 38 and I find that unacceptable for my eyes (and also because my desktop is a monster).

#29 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

Yeah I agree. Post-processing on medium vs high is not going to make a noticeable difference in image quality, especially on a smaller screen.

Edited by Catamount, 09 December 2014 - 09:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users