How much does condensation guard add to heat/hotspots? and other questions.

4 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm going for (cooled)liquid cooling, or running chilled water thru a normal liquid cooling setup, and I want to know how much heat condensation guarding adds to a system. I'm afraid that I might cool too little and negate all my efforts and cause problems as well.

I am using (2)
TEC1-12706 Thermoelectric Peltier Cooler 12 Volt 92 Watt on the outside of my case bonded to my radiator.

Also the cooling blocks are not directly against the cpu and gpu, they are augmenting traditional air cooling in case my pump dies on me for any reason.

Air coolers that are modded:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2) (copper pipes sits on top of silver block above cpu, but under the heat fins)

and stock heat sink for,

Diamond Multimedia 7850PE52G AMD Radeon HD 7850 PCIE 2G GDDR5 Video Graphics Card (copper pipe wrapped around exterior of heat sink fins)

I have a TR2 Thermatek 600W 80 Bronze power source, being used by a i5 processor, the above video card, and the (2) peltiers and pump. Do I have enough PSU power?

Edited by ManDaisy, 25 June 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#2 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm thinking about going with just silicon spray, tube insulation, and dielectric grease. To keep things neat and Tidy I was thinking stringing my water transport tubes thru a larger empty Tube (double layered tube) instead of messing with foam.

Edited by ManDaisy, 25 June 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#3 Scilya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:16 AM

just use kneeded eraser its cheep not messy at all and easy to clean up incase of an RMI
dielectric grese is MESSY and you dont need it just pack the areas needed with kneeded eraser then use shop towels on top of that to catch any drops that form, as long as you have a good airflow it will work well.
neoprene is also good to use as well

i think you would be starting to push it a bit power wise
your best bet is just to set your equipment to just above the dew point

not sure what you mean by
Also the cooling blocks are not directly against the cpu and gpu, they are augmenting traditional air cooling in case my pump dies on me for any reason.
altho i am quite tired im going to bed will look at this post again later

Edited by Scilya, 26 June 2012 - 04:19 AM.

#4 Romulus Stahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationStormhead, Loburg, Alarion Province

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

Condensation will occur due to dew point (factor of humidity and temp). Based on the limited info you have provided and my experience, you will only have to worry about the area around the peltier, this being outside your case on the radiator, I would not be concerned (you should be able to insulate it from air or put a catch pan under it).
Keep in mind if you allow the entire system to reach the dew point you will have condensation on all items that reach dew point.

I'm a bit confused as the the overall system as descibed, I myself am running a water cooled system (CPU and GPU at this time - I've run some with the bridges and ram cooled).

Edited by Romulus Stahl, 26 June 2012 - 04:57 AM.

#5 silentD11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 816 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

I've used grease, dragon sealant, all sorts of stuff. provided you're cooling everything that needs to be cooled you will not have an issue. Just keep in mind if you do this you need to cool the CPU VRM (I used EK waterblocks for the mosfets), NB and SB or those WILL burn up.

From personal experience, TEC on a GPU just isn't worth the effort, go h20 or ln2 for suicide runs. Liquid cool the GPUS and use phase change on the CPU. Costs less and makes less of a mess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users