Head Shots Non-Existant. Why?

Feedback

7 replies to this topic

#1 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

I noticed that even though I try hard to do head shots it just isn't happening. I thought maybe it's my skill or something similar. Today, after this patch, I went to the bog map and tried to shoot a commando and other mechs point blank and otherwise, front and back, at heads of mechs and no damage to heads registered but the commando's head was glowing hot red but the damage was registering to torso in every case. There is something horribly wrong with this story. I was using ER Large Lasers only and it is a precision instrument. I don't think it's fair when one have to use a gauss rifle or some special sauce to make head shots count. You might, just MIGHT, argue that I have to shoot objects below me in order to make that count, but, in a Battle Master mech that stands twice as tall as the commando and such light mechs, one HAVE to be above that smaller mech by default when shooting DOWN at them. It is clear to me that there is an imbalance about that in the game or outright gap in coverage and/or false shifting of damage to another non-related part of the targeted mech without the affected part of the mech being damaged as it should have happened.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Most mechs have pretty small cockpit hitboxes, and contrary to appearances it is not the whole head that counts as the "head"!

In most cases it is a single pane of glass of the cockpit or even a portion of a single pane of glass. No mech can be headshot from the back, so shooting them with a laser in the back of the head is a waste of time(and the fact you tried to shoot the back of the head tells me you have no idea where to begin to shoot a mech's cockpit hitbox)

Here's a hitbox guide http://mwomercs.com/...x-localization/ (although I think they are being too generous with their hitbox for the commando I think it's actually smaller than in the picture)

I guarantee you that lasers still hit heads, but the beam time just makes it harder on a moving target.

#3 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 18 November 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

Most mechs have pretty small cockpit hitboxes, and contrary to appearances it is not the whole head that counts as the "head"!

In most cases it is a single pane of glass of the cockpit or even a portion of a single pane of glass. No mech can be headshot from the back, so shooting them with a laser in the back of the head is a waste of time(and the fact you tried to shoot the back of the head tells me you have no idea where to begin to shoot a mech's cockpit hitbox)

Here's a hitbox guide http://mwomercs.com/...x-localization/ (although I think they are being too generous with their hitbox for the commando I think it's actually smaller than in the picture)

I guarantee you that lasers still hit heads, but the beam time just makes it harder on a moving target.

Thanks.

I'll take a look at that info.

#4 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 18 November 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

Its not, nearly the entire face of a commando is head. I run commandos almost the only time I'm ever in a light. It's also the bulk of my headcaps since they tend to intercept AC20s and gauss slugs with their face quite often.

#5 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 18 November 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

Its not, nearly the entire face of a commando is head. I run commandos almost the only time I'm ever in a light. It's also the bulk of my headcaps since they tend to intercept AC20s and gauss slugs with their face quite often.

Should have been called "face-shot" instead of "head-shot" then.. like, 'in yo face' or something like a 'pilot-slaughter' or a 'pilot-rip' or a plain generic 'pilot-kill'.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

Well in the TT it doesn't matter how big the head is physically since all mechs had the same random to-hit for the head.

In a real-time interpretation they have to model the actual mech, and PGI obviously decided to make head hitbox quite small and relativity similar so headshots are not common (in closed beta, being headshot from across the map was incredibly frustrating.)

#7 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostJesus DIED for me, on 18 November 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

Should have been called "face-shot" instead of "head-shot" then.. like, 'in yo face' or something like a 'pilot-slaughter' or a 'pilot-rip' or a plain generic 'pilot-kill'.
Fair enough, but there's a reason we call it "cockpiting", because that's really what you're aiming for - the pilot in the cockpit.

#8 Rat of the Legion Vega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 18 November 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

You're probably right, however I was testing the commando's head hitbox in testing grounds the other day, and it seemed to be incredibly tiny compared to other mechs, just one of the eyes same as the atlas. It's probably the upright humanoid stature of the commando that still causes it to get hit in the head at all, however I think headshotting jenners is far easier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users