#1 Raeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 324 posts
  • LocationHal's Bar. Middletown, Cathay District, Solaris VII

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

Raeven, on 21 November 2011 - 10:20 AM, said:

What's your concerns over the strat engine?

I know based on World of Tanks, if you rely on deadlines and full team participation to resolve combat, your strat engine is going to fail.

If you don't mind the thread hijack.

Btw... Heyoo!
Response Kyll Long

Heya bro great to see ya :lol: Im mainly concerned whether there will be one. I see a lot of comments and concentration on combat mechanics. We already know that those can be done. Maybe not perfectly but obviously based on previous versions successfully. What we haven't seen is a really good strat engine. I AM hung up on EGA after all this time. But I would really like to see Houses have their roles and being able to designate targets etc. I haven't seen anything on that yet. My worry is theyre gonna make a drop n go game with no meta-game or larger strategy options. I know a lot of people who haven't seen a good rank progression game are against the idea. But I have seen one and really want to see something implemented that will allow progression in a House. ::Shrug:: They still have my attention and will have my money until I know what I hope for is hopeless :)

Unfortunately, I've yet to see any strat engine that allows commanders to move units around the megamap and real people resolve those conflicts. As much as I hate to admit it, I suspect that EGA had it right using AI only opponents. At the very least, you will have to have abstracts to compensate for the bloated houses vs. the miniscule houses (as all Liaotians know). The only way I can see that happening is with AI conflict resolution being the primary method of conflict resolution. It would be awesome if they could mix the two.

The closest thing I saw to what we would like to see was with one of the Battlefield games (I think). When you dropped, you ended up on whatever team you ended up on. Russia, American, Brits, etc. The results of those battles were tallied on a server somewhere. You could hop on and look at a world map and see how those tallies played out. It didn't matter if the battles were deathmatch, conquest, flag cap, or objective based. The only thing was, there was no control over the megamap. It was just fluff.

I think a system that combines the two would be highly successful. You have a small cadre of officers that can direct missions on the megamap. Those missions get sent out as certain gametypes on certain maps. House members can jump in and participate or take charge directly on those missions. You can also have random players participate to help determine results. When a House isn't a bloated monstrosity like Davion or Steiner, those random players will be put on side A or side B and their success will support the minor Houses.

The mission tallies results for a certain timeframe. In that timeframe, you record the tallies of all mission types using Houses AB/C from all official or ranked servers. The tally reflects the winner or loser of that mission. I know there are major problems with the idea, but it's the start of one I have had in my head for awhile. The biggest problem I see is, how do you prevent big Houses from swamping a server and gaming the system by purposely losing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users