What the **** is WoT, and why is it always mentioned?

88 replies to this topic

#1 iGrok

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Why do people on this forum always bring up WoT? Its like people here think there are no other F2P with Premuim games, and that this game will play exactly like WoT. I've played online games all my life (since I was 4 years old at least), ranging from Alfy/Shockwave/Candystand to XGen/Newgrounds to Kongregate/Addicting Games, I've played a lot of Freemium titles like Flyff/Runescape/Maplestory/LoL, I've played tank games and mech games and strategy games and FPS, and NOWHERE had I heard of WoT before I came to this site.

Now, everyone is worried that MWO will have "Gold Ammo" and "Super Mechs" and that we'll just have an arms race when the devs specifically added the information warfare dimension to the Mech series JUST TO COUNTER ARMS RACING.

I finally watched some youtube videos of WoT just to see what everyone was talking about, and it sucked. So why, why does everyone here apparently play it? And more to the point, why does everyone seem to think that MWO is being developed by the WoT studio?

Piranha Games IS NOT Wargaming.net. MWO is going to play nothing like WoT.

Stop bringing up a bad game that you all hate, and talk about MechWarrior instead.

#2 Vashts1985

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

http://worldoftanks.com/

oh. you were being facetious

Edited by Vashts1985, 07 June 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#3 Alekzandr Sukhanov

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

World of Tank. It's pretty good. I actually like it. It's pretty slow gameplay though. You're right in saying MWO is not WoT but, I wouldn't necessarily dog WoT. They've done a good job for what they are. Now... can't wait to see some MWO play!!! [beta invite pending]

dooooh!

#4 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

iGrok... just relax man... not ALL of us hate WoT's... don't agree with a lot WG does, but still... actually waiting on Clan Wars right now with my WoT Clan... lol...

Tho' not sure how much I'll play once MW:O comes out... :P

#5 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

World of tanks, it has some similarities to Mechwarrior onlines concept, however as others have noted there are some (what some consider) to be major flaws in the way that certain game mechanics work, most notably that less experienced players can walk straight in and buy supertanks that can only really be killed by other super tanks.

Not a problem if you've got the money but the games been set up to make it a real chore (not fun) to get to the later tanks by grinding away at the game 24/7.

And yes it hopefully will be different to MWO.

I'm also getting tired of people repeating the comparison and then the argument breaking down into which is better, or why something is right or wrong with each game.

If you like WOT play WOT if you want to Play Mechwarrior Great just stop making the same comparison over and over again. They are different games with some similarities.

Edited by Striker1980, 07 June 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#6 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have no idea why peole keep bringing it up for apparently no reason, like "Hey what do you want for a gametype?" "As long as theres no GOLD AMMO like in WORLD OF TANKS(!!!!!!1!!!!) then I don't care what gametypes there are!!!"
But point is it is a very popular online F2P game that encourages more spending on part of the users.

Edited by Team Leader, 07 June 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#7 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

WoT is actually pretty awesome, though it is getting a little old (not enough customization for my liking - and too much of a grind from one tank to another on the high-end). However, it is the closest F2P game to what MWO looks like that it out there... and it has many of the same potential issues that MWO could face as a F2P game.

It is also doing really well, though a lot of folks playing WoT now may move over to MWO (I know I will, as will my brother). I have heard that some folks planning MWO merc groups are even starting to organize in WoT for practice at teamwork, communication, etc.

#8 Myrkky

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostTeam Leader, on 07 June 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

I have no idea why peole keep bringing it up for apparently no reason, like "Hey what do you want for a gametype?" "As long as theres no GOLD AMMO like in WORLD OF TANKS(!!!!!!1!!!!) then I don't care what gametypes there are!!!"
But point is it is a very popular online F2P game that encourages more spending on part of the users.

There WILL BE gold ammo. There are different kind of ammunition, so you can be sure there will be also gold ammo.

#9 King Curt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

I play WoTs. As an old wargamer it's fun to run around in vehicles I know from cardboard pieces. It's an arcade-sim-mmo hybrid that's fun as hell ... to a point. Once you try to get serious, however, you're hosed. I won't even get into the reality gaps and some of its stupid quirks. Some folks do pay to win, big time ( I'm not one of those folks ). And folks that pay for expensive tanks often find those tanks later nerfed. That goes for tanks you've worked your butt off to get as well.

Imagine buying a Porsche only to have it, in the future, turn into a Volkswagon in a puff of computer code. Now imagine how many things you break in anger. :P

I know there is one big thing MWO online can do in regards to WoTs -- don't follow that example. In fact, there's a whole lot of what-not-to-do when it comes to WoTs. We can only hope these guys are paying heed and not following suit.

#10 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostMyrkky, on 07 June 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

There WILL BE gold ammo. There are different kind of ammunition, so you can be sure there will be also gold ammo.

If inferno rounds or LBX shells are purchasable only with cash that's not a superficial item, I.E. it'd be pay to win and it's not what the Devs have stated on numerous occasions is their intention, I've got enough faith in the Devs that they'll stick to their word.

#11 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

on a serious note,

Wot and MWO are so commonly compared to because believe it or not, a large number of competitive players there are looking to come here if the game proves to be more consistent with its numbers. no doubt some of them will keep playing wot, but mechwarrior fandom aside the majority of them are looking for a game where you get to drive vehicles with big guns in a competitively oriented fashion. and what better game for that than a mech warrior game. more customization than tanks, more creative freedom than an arcade game based on "realistic tanks", and the mwo development is focusing on NA, where the wot crew focuses on money and even screws their local players. have you seen the russian forums? even the russian players don't understand wg's beef with keeping german vehicles underpowered while buffing the russian ones to incredible heights.

but I digress. An armored warfare type game is badly wanted by competitive players and a lot of us are thinking MWO is that light in the darkness. And i'm sure tank fans will love the game too since mechs usually are nothing but tanks with more mobility and gun.

I'm telling you now piranha, you have a great chance here to show WG what happens when you abuse having the market cornered, and through all the abuse they've put me through I really want to believe you can do it.

#12 Inversus

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

There are no "Super Tanks" that new players can just buy that have to be killed by other "Super Tanks", thats a myth spread by, to be frank bad players. What they have are "Premium Tanks" that give increased money making sounds a bit similar to the Founders Mech.

Premium tanks are generally well balanced against the normal tanks and share similar strengths and weaknesses to other tanks of the same tier. One example - the KV-5 tank which has on paper incredible armour for it tier. However the KV-5 has a massive weakspot on its frontal armour that is pretty easy to hit and penetrate. It also has a really weak gun for its tier.

I do agree that Gold ammo should never have been added.

#13 coyote69

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

will i play wot but i mostly play navyfield i was a tester for wot way back before it when live :P

#14 Nardoon

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Well you are going to find allot or most of the WoT community is looking at moving this way hence why there will be allot of comparison between the 2. I am a avid WoT player spending over $1400 on the game also being a commander in 1 of the bigger games means i have devoted a large part of my life towards the game :P But as for the gold issue the only issue i see is without premium you cant run tier 10 tanks 24/7 as they do not make credits they need to self sustain your account. The gold rounds you can buy only increases the pen the round achieves and does not affect the ave damage from the round also to be honest only really good players make the most of gold rounds as you still need to aim at the right spots as for the nooby guys gold rounds do not increase the ability for them to shoot through the the thickest armour or shoot square on the tank.

To be honest only mediocre players complain about wallet warriors as the better players know the difference between the 2 and do not use gold for pub games.

As for super Tanks i hardly call the lowe or Kv-5 a super tank lol the type 59 is great for a tier 8 med and the others are good tanks to but you can not going making a premium tank for people to buy and have it under powered to the rest who will buy that lol (Here is a tank i want you to buy but it is worse than the others so please spend your money). I think people need to not over react to the money issue it is F2P if you want not to spend money thats fine but dont cry at those who do and grow allot faster as it is those people who make these games possible.

#15 Vashts1985

• 1,115 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostInversus, on 07 June 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

There are no "Super Tanks" that new players can just buy that have to be killed by other "Super Tanks", thats a myth spread by, to be frank bad players. What they have are "Premium Tanks" that give increased money making sounds a bit similar to the Founders Mech.

Premium tanks are generally well balanced against the normal tanks and share similar strengths and weaknesses to other tanks of the same tier. One example - the KV-5 tank which has on paper incredible armour for it tier. However the KV-5 has a massive weakspot on its frontal armour that is pretty easy to hit and penetrate. It also has a really weak gun for its tier.

I do agree that Gold ammo should never have been added.

dont see why people complain about the gold rounds as much as they do. its not that useful or common outside clan wars.
unless you know exactly where and when to use it you would just be burning money with a lighter because most of the time you can just pen with normal rounds, and when it usually is used, the other guy is probably using it just the same. Gold HE is about useless.

not exactly what id consider pay to win.

fully agree with the premium tanks. they are always sidegrades/lower grade than their like tiers.

Edited by Vashts1985, 07 June 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#16 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I agree nardoon but I am heavily against alienating players through having "real money only" purchases when they give any kind of advantage.

my expectation for "premium" vehicles in this game is that you're buying them for the cbill boost and the cosmetic looks, and everything else is the same as the one everyone else gets. the fact that there is no tree or tiering system really plays to their advantage in this respect

and dont even get me started on gold rounds. if you're intelligent about it you will never bounce with a gold round unless the random number generator has something to say about it. hell in my t110 and is-4 i can auto aim and circle strafe any tank in the game without incident(not to mention higher pen= farther into the tank= more modules hit=better chance to give critical module damage. not to mention when I use them in my E-100 I typically get 800-900 rolls very consistently, and with normal ap I average 600-ish). you tell me there's no advantage with them but as someone who spent most of his time playing clan wars, I can say whenever we played clans that weren't using gold rounds it was a complete slaughter because they would bounce us and their arty would tickle and we wouldnt bounce and our arty would one shot tanks squares away from the impact. Wot is a failure in a competitive aspect because of this.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 07 June 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#17 iGrok

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

A lot of you are telling me that either "Hey man WoT is a good game don't rag on it" or "WoT players are coming here looking for something good so they're going to compare it.

Then this guy nails what I was talking about on the head.

View PostTeam Leader, on 07 June 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

LoL would be a better comparison from what I've heard. Starting mech is comparable to freeweek champs, premium accounts comparable to xp boosts, buying specialty camo (we know its coming even if not officially announced) is buying skins. CBills=IP, $=RP I'll bet. But you don't hear me talking about how "I dON't care WHAT MAPS we play one as loong as theres more than 1 liek LOL!!!!1!!!ONE!"

#18 Nardoon

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

noooo not at all, The mechanics of a gold round can increase the chance of mod dmg yes but actual dmg no yes they increase the pen but i bet i could put i team of 15 using norm rounds against any random team of 15 using gold and we would flog them easy. As for arty gold round only increase the splash radius nothing else except in lower tiers where you can buy HEAT rounds like the GW panther those are nasty. I have played the game a long time with and with out gold and honestly there is not that much diff, Good players will still rule with out it and bad players will try to use it and not understand why they dont get the stats of good players lol.

I think mech should make money out of Skin packs premium accounts etc etc there is plenty to be made and not as many will whine

#19 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostNardoon, on 07 June 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

i bet i could put i team of 15 using norm rounds against any random team of 15 using gold and we would flog them easy.

that's why you can't get on the clan wars map, right?

#20 Don

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Does anyone else find it ironic that the OP hates talking about wot, yet has created a thread about it? Contributing to its discussion? Hypocrites will be hypocrites.

Edited by Don, 07 June 2012 - 05:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users