• 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 December 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

Avenging his parent and punishing those who tortured her to death
Including the toddlers he killed.

Falling in love
Thus developing attachment to a person rather than an ideal, and laying the foundation for vulnerability to manipulation.

Wanting to save his wife
By getting advice from a Sith Lord who kept sowing seeds of doubt.

Maybe you should re-watch those movies...?

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 December 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Is the character from a game? Cause if he is I'd guess someone like Kyle Katarn (the Jedi Knight games were some of my favorites. My absolute was Galactic Battlegrounds).
I have a feeling he's referring to Michael Stackpole's self-insert.

Personally I can't stand that sort of character, but obviously this is a matter of personal preferences. Either way, I certainly agree that the dismantling of the EU was a dark, dark day for Star Wars as an IP. Unless the new movies manage to attract a sizable new generation of fans, I daresay this decision may risk the existence of the entire franchise, seeing as it was the EU that has kept the existing fans generating revenue.

#42 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 December 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Is the character from a game?

No, A major character in the X-Wing Novels (especially the ones by Stackpole) who has been in about half the post ROTJ Star Wars novels published since

#43 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 December 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

Luke Skywalker endangered the entire galaxy by going to Darth Vader and risking getting killed thus ending the Jedi for good (no other canon so Yoda would be the last and would die within the next year).
That depends on whether you consider the Empire a threat to the galaxy or not, or that any resistance against the Emperor would have died with Luke or the Rebel Alliance. Both would be hyperbole.

But even from a rebel PoV, Luke considered going to Vader a worthwhile attempt. For what it's worth, it the "fate of the galaxy" hinged on his survival, he should've probably locked himself in some shed on Tattooine like Kenobi did, but then again he wouldn't be of much use to the Rebellion, would he?

Also, Yoda told him not to go, and Obi-Wan even lied about Vader being his father. Those two were members of the Jedi Order, Luke was not. So who are you criticizing here, exactly?

Leia got her whole Homeworld annihilated because she wouldn't tell them that a droid had the information they wanted. Not questioned for that even though billions died.
Technically, Leia did everything she could to prevent the destruction of Alderaan. Yes, she lied, but Tarkin did not know that and still ordered the superlaser to fire, before he ordered ships to be sent to the location she had provided.

Maybe you should rewatch the original trilogy, too. ;)

Besides, Leia's actions as a politician, long before anyone knew of her potential in the Force, could hardly be used as criticism against the Jedi Order.

Kyp Duron blew up a planet and his brother... He became a Jedi Master and was not punished.
Technically, that's more of a failure by the New Republic government. Luke was an idealist and perceived Kyp to have "turned back from the Dark Side" - perhaps you could say that Luke saw Good Kyp and Bad Kyp, and didn't want to punish the former for something the latter did. For what it's worth, I certainly found that puzzling as well, even if Carida could be called a military target (like the Death Star).

But it is also worthy of note that Luke's new Jedi Order is not the Jedi Order of the Galactic Republic. They may all be Jedi, but they have different traditions and regulations. Personally, I consider the Old Republic version to be more orderly and disciplined, and producing notably fewer whack-jobs who finish training half-corrupted by the Dark Side due to greater emotional freedom.

The old Jedi Order is like the Circle of Mages in Dragon Age. Regardless of whether we're talking about fantasy or space mages, these people need rules to not become a danger to others. Yes, the old Order had a massive screw-up with Anakin, but given the circumstances and the long time of its existence, that is nothing compare to Luke's Academy churning out Dark Jedi like it's some sort of alternate class there. From the guy who blew up Carida all the way to the man who ordered Republic starships to nuke Chewie's homeworld.

But according to the old lore Obi Wan, Qui Gon, and many others fell in love and they were never questioned for it. So again hypocritical of the Jedi Order.
Not that many - and it was certainly discouraged against. That being said, I also wouldn't be surprised if Anakin got special attention due to being their "Chosen One".

I could go on and on because the Jedi are... no better than the Sith. They live on lies and double standards.
Oh, I don't intend to defend the Jedi. I roleplay an Imperial and could even supply further criticism against them. :lol: But that doesn't mean that I have to agree with what I perceive as unfair accusations against either them or the solidity of the background.

The "better Jedi" are the Imperial ones, anyways.

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 December 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

Well then I am lost. Cause I never read those. I never got heavy into the lore mainly I only got the Han Solo Trilogy, the New Jedi Order, the ones with Kyp Duron and Suncrusher, Rogue Planet, and Labyrinth of Evil.
Han Solo at Star's End? That was an amazing story. Goes to show that you don't need lightsaber-wielding Mary Sues to have a good read. :)
Not that each Force-user does necessarily conform to the special snowflake stigma ... but arguably it's a huge risk that takes a good writer to circumvent.

Personally, I would recommend taking a look at the Legacy comics. Set even further in the future, with a notably different geopolitical makeup of the galaxy.

#44 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:04 PM

Technically speaking the EU isn't all invalidated. Just the ones that interfere with the movie's plot line. Everything that happened before the First movie is technically still canon is it isn't interfering with any plot.

I don't think the lightsaber has a cross guard. If you look closer it resembles an Exhaust port more than a solid blade. Also looking at the blade itself, it looks different than other blades and resembles what happens when you make a lightsaber with an unstable crystal. The beam isn't solid and would explain the exhaust system. The art of making a lightsaber would be lost and each part would probably need to be recreated. So this Sith might have had trouble finding a perfected crystal and needed to add the exhaust system to funnel excess plasma away from the blade.

Also a lot of those special effects look like what they did with Iron man movies which is take a prop or a suit and then add CGI over it and to specific parts to make it look better and do things they couldn't do with props anyway. All the moving parts on the Iron man suit are CGI, but the suit itself is an actual suit an actor wears.

#45 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 December 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

No it was the Han Solo Trilogy (that's the name) by AC Crispin. Really good reads.
Oh ... I may have to investigate further!

View PostBrody319, on 01 December 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Technically speaking the EU isn't all invalidated. Just the ones that interfere with the movie's plot line. Everything that happened before the First movie is technically still canon is it isn't interfering with any plot.
Sadly no - this is how the old EU used to work already.
Disney cancelled all EU works and series that were still in the process of making (including the new Legacy era), and invalidated the entire setting. Some EU works may be re-published under the so-called "Legends" label, to set them apart from the new setting they want to build.

They basically pulled another JJ, like they did with the Star Trek reboot.

View PostBrody319, on 01 December 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

I don't think the lightsaber has a cross guard. If you look closer it resembles an Exhaust port more than a solid blade.
Well, the way these mini-blades extend is a tad too slow for an "exhaust flame".

Though I would agree about the "unstable crystal" theory ... but I really don't think the people responsible for this scene even know what that is. -_-

#46 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 December 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

It is a KoTR Lightsaber. There were few of the sabers made that had the cross guards. Roblio Darte was one of the few Jedi who actually wielded one in the old lore.
http://starwars.wiki...uard_lightsaber

Interesting how the lightsaber only has a guard on one end. What protection does it offer then? Is it really a guard for catching lightsabers or is it more of a secondary stabbing tool?

#47 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

View PostStompingOnTanks, on 01 December 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

Interesting how the lightsaber only has a guard on one end. What protection does it offer then? Is it really a guard for catching lightsabers or is it more of a secondary stabbing tool?
Considering how any weapon that slides down the primary blade is going to hit the emitter rather than the secondary blade, I think only the stabbing tool would make sense.

For what it's worth, I could see it find a modicum of use when both combatants are locked in melee, each one attempting to push their blade closer to the opponent yet at the same time being blocked by the other's saber. In such a struggle, a quick elbow move might be able to drive this secondary blade into the enemy's chest or throat.

Still a pretty silly idea if you'd ask me, given that for a Force user there are more elegant ways to break such a stalemate.

Then again, in KotOR times, a Jedi's enemy in close combat did not always have to be a Force user but could just as well be a well-trained "mundane" warrior with a cortosis blade. Hmmh.

#48 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:04 PM

Well technically speaking they have a special weave of metals and special treatment methods they can use to make metal's immune to being cut by a lightsaber, I imagine they do this by giving the metal a strong magnetic field that repels the lightsaber. So there is really no reason to have those beams as a cross guard, which is why I think its far more likely exhaust ports. especially with the flame like effects.

Also technically a prop could be used to maneuver like that, by just using a green screen/blue screen, then rotating the camera to make it appear as if it is moving. without a reference object there is no way to know what a spacecraft is doing. They do have a prop for the falcon and they have shown it off, so I don't know why they wouldn't use it. I think the CGI looks amazing regardless.

#49 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostBrody319, on 01 December 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

Well technically speaking they have a special weave of metals and special treatment methods they can use to make metal's immune to being cut by a lightsaber,

cortosis ore would short out a lightsaber deactivating it on contact, it had been woven into armor that would short out a lightsaber on contact and theoretically could have been used to fashion a functional cross guard, which would aslo deactivate your opponants saber on contact, a potent advantage during a dual

unfortunately that was part of the Extended Universe which Disney decided is no longer canon.

and Marek,
Anakin's Saber in Attack of the Clones was destroyed by an industrial cutting machine, so cortosis would not have protected it regardless

#50 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 29 November 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Hayden Christensen
Natalie Portman
CGI Jabba
Jabba's palace dance scene
The Dark Side making no sense
Hayden Christensen replacing the original Vader in SW6 Redo
Boba Fett getting his butt kicked by a blind guy
The Empire being defeated by the Ewoks
etc

Leave Natalie out of it.... though she is an uber liberal idiot.... her body was rockin!

#51 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 02 December 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

cortosis ore would short out a lightsaber deactivating it on contact, it had been woven into armor that would short out a lightsaber on contact and theoretically could have been used to fashion a functional cross guard, which would aslo deactivate your opponants saber on contact, a potent advantage during a dual

unfortunately that was part of the Extended Universe which Disney decided is no longer canon.

and Marek,
Anakin's Saber in Attack of the Clones was destroyed by an industrial cutting machine, so cortosis would not have protected it regardless

Technically KOTOR is still canon. The Online game is considered canon and it is based on the canon of the original games. So KOTOR still good to go.

#52 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

at the beginning I thought this is a joke, a black guy suddenly appearing, a robot on a football, and that glider she had, looked really stupid xD Like a ram for raiding a castle.

View PostMarack Drock, on 29 November 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Hayden Christensen
Natalie Portman
CGI Jabba
Jabba's palace dance scene
The Dark Side making no sense
Hayden Christensen replacing the original Vader in SW6 Redo
Boba Fett getting his butt kicked by a blind guy
The Empire being defeated by the Ewoks
etc

Posted Image

Edited by Lily from animove, 02 December 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#53 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

Things I'm excited for:

1. New Star Wars
2. X-wings and Falcon look good (even though it's CGI. IMHO, RotJ space battle still looks better than all others to date, and I have the un-fukked VHS edition. Brown eyed Vader FTW.)
3. No Jar-Jar-esque characters (JJ won't put up with that)
4. Will likely be gritter than the happy go lucky original trilogy, and hopefully won't have a completely wooden cast with **** dialoge like the second trilogy. Yes, Lucas is the writer. And in Hollywood when you're making a movie the first thing you do is fire the writer.

Things I'm concerned about:

1. Quantity of unnecessary shaky cam/chase cam motion sickness
2. Quantity of unnecessary strobe light induced seizures
3. Ringwraith/whitewalker Sith. Oooooh, original.
4. Only slightly concerned about lens flare, JJ got it under control for ST2.

All in all, I'm excited because quite simply, the series has nowhere to go but up. Nothing JJ or Disney could do is worse that what has already been done. And if you haven't noticed, Disney films have actually been doing quite well lately.

#54 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Also, this wouldn't have been possible without the second trilogy:

#55 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 02 December 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

3. No Jar-Jar-esque characters (JJ won't put up with that)
Posted Image

Orly?

#56 Nebfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

AFAIK the new canon is as such

All movies, & TV Shows, an all new ones thereafter
All novels going from mid 2014 foreword (or thereabouts)

All other sources (I.e. Games and novels) are now effectively an AU (and still for for that universe).

However I would suspect that the "Holocron" (the in house "Bible") that they have is likely still a major source of internal canon.

#57 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

#58 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostWonderSparks, on 28 November 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

December 2015? Way to get my hopes up for something that is a year off. :(

Star Wars? or community warfare?

#59 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostDar1ng One, on 03 December 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

Star Wars? or community warfare?

I see what you did there. ;) Well played, sir, well played. :D

#60 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:33 AM

This thread cannot die.
There is so much to speculate.

Like how X-Wings don't have astromechs anymore and their wings fold in to one another
Like how the radar dish thing on the Falcon was rebuilt after it got smacked off
Like how the stormtroopers face design has changed
Like how there's some lightsabery thing attached to the side of Ridley's landspeeder
Like how the rebel insignia still exists after 30 years (on the pilot's helmet)
Like how the movements of the dark jedi remind me a lot of Gwendoline Christie (please, PELASE let it be her)

Edited by xeromynd, 08 December 2014 - 09:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users