Well I Am Torn

14 replies to this topic

#1 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:25 PM

I plan on buying a Misery, but with the left over MC I could buy either a Lo-Wang or an Ember, (I'd be short about 200 MC if I go with either)

I don't own any other firestarters currently, but I do own the Centurion AH.
what do you guys think?

#2 Squirtbox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

Ember suffers(benefits) from borked hit boxes and is generally considered one of the best lights in the game currently.

#3 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

View PostSquirtbox, on 28 November 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

Ember suffers(benefits) from borked hit boxes and is generally considered one of the best lights in the game currently.

Thats why I am torn. I know both are good mechs but I'm not sure if I should go with the Lo-Wang and master the centurion chassis.

#4 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

YLW is a lot of fun and the best Cent (IMO), but in the end i don't take it out very often. but you will have a lot of fun with it which is why you play the game

never tried the Firestarters but you can't go wrong with it's speed and firepower, and it might be a good 'filler' mech for CW (if you plan on participating) since it's a light

#5 Fajther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan, usa

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:17 PM

I own a yen-low. It takes a while to grow on you. I ended up liking it eventually. I hated it in the beginning. On the other-hand in the chasis challenge the firestarter had clearly higher scores then any other light mechs. The ember is the best firestarter. Ember=best light in the game.

#6 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:20 PM

Which weight class do you need more?

#7 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 28 November 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

Which weight class do you need more?

This first...

After that is considered: I have both, and they are both solid choices.
YLW- tough as nails brawler- even if they tear that AC/20 off you just get P***ed and start chewing on them with your 2 ml/mpl
Ember- fast, good firepower, only drawback is the face-time the MG's require to maximize potential, i enjoy the other firestarters more because of this, hit-and-run tactics are best for lights, but that is my playstyle. There is a reason it was tier 1.

Edited by KamikazeRat, 28 November 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#8 Golden Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

Have you already bought the MC? you might want to take a look at the specs on the Enforcer before buying any Centurions.

You'll have to wait a little bit to use them, but the Resistance mechs are all pretty decent, barring the Panthers, which is kind of meh.

So go for the Firestarter is what I am saying, perhaps. Even though I hate them.

#9 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

My problem with getting the Yen Lo Wang is that it's not all that different from the free Cent-AH. I mean, it's a bit different, but given they both have the Hero bonus to XP and Cbills, they aren't different enough to justify owning both.

I'd go for the Ember. I just bought one today myself, after having leveled two other Firestarters. It's a fun little mech, though the camo pattern is a real crap sandwich. I'd love to be able to put some Raider camo on it, rather than being stuck with bland.

#10 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

Second Opinion:
http://metamechs.com/mwo-tier-lists/

Ember is no longer best FS(because quirks)

YLW is tier 3 medium for IS list(the AH is above it for the SRM brawling i guess?)

Misery is tier 1(AC20 + 2PPC and hitboxes)

Ultimately, play what you like. I do VERY well in Cicada A/B and they are tier 2/3

#11 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

I am going to be playing Clan mostly for CW, I got timberwolves, a stormcrow, and all the lights for clans.

I think I'm gonna go with the Ember. I know they are really good. During christmas there might be another sale so I'll grab the lo-wang then.

#12 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:00 PM

View PostFajther, on 28 November 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

I own a yen-low. It takes a while to grow on you. I ended up liking it eventually. I hated it in the beginning. On the other-hand in the chasis challenge the firestarter had clearly higher scores then any other light mechs. The ember is the best firestarter. Ember=best light in the game.

View PostSquirtbox, on 28 November 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

This is the situation I knew would come about eventually when they started doing the whole "Hero Mech" for real cash bs. It was inevitable that at some point the best variant of a chassis would be locked behind the real money pay wall. I wish people didn't support this model, hero mechs should have just been a unique paintjob with a cbill bonus, not a completely unique mech variant unobtainable via cbills.

#13 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

The supposedly borked hit-boxes is universal to the Firestarter. This is not news. What makes the Ember so good is actually the machine guns, which let it keep doing damage at a relatively high rate even when the 'Mech is heat-saturated, How the hell was PGI supposed to know that Machine Guns, of all weapons, would turn the Ember into a beast?

Besides, top tier Firestarter is the H, now, because of the medium laser perks. It's not a premium 'Mech.

#14 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:27 PM

I kinda thought that the FS9-A was the best FS9 variant before quirks (Post Quirk it's stronger than the Ember now), but what aided and still helps the Ember is the four heatless MGs for sustaining DPS with ML's. and the C-Bill boost being the other big difference.

As for the choice at hand, since you have the CN9-AH, I'd gander that the CN9-D/CN9-A and Wang can get you close to certain builds where quirks are the biggest difference right now, so if you favor the AC/20 it'll be a no brainer.

That way for a third Centurion you can go with the CN9-AL for variety or with one of the others.

So in other words I'd only lean to the Wang if you want another AC/20 Centurion, or go Ember for the 2nd best Firestarter.

Either way kudos on the Misery!

Edited by Praetor Knight, 28 November 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#15 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:31 PM

Loving the Misery. But I already loved the Stalkers so nothing much this mech could do to change that. Just gotta get used to that twist, my other assaults are Atlases.

Ember is feeling iffy for me, but that may be because It didn't get any quirks, I just gotta get used to it I suppose.

Edited by Brody319, 28 November 2014 - 10:31 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users