Four Hellbringer Builds For Discussion

21 replies to this topic

#1 gl0w

• PipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

Here are some builds I tried during a bit of a marathon last night. They were either fun, effective, or novel enough that I remembered them today. All of them have pretty standard armor, not tweaked to compensate for CT bug or rear armor preferences. I think I might have shaved a ton for another DHS when rolling some of these. I don't have doubled basics quite yet, but I'm betting some of these will be a lot better when I do.

The Hell Finger has most of it's power in the left arm and it's not long range, but it can poke you in the eye over and over til your brain crits. It's an ambusher, for sure, but the 5 c-erML provide plenty of poke at decent ranges. It runs pretty hot, but it's pretty easy to compensate by just chainfiring the c-erML when you're brawling with the lbx-20.

The Gauss Finger is pretty similar, but uses a Gauss for range and heat improvements. This one's pretty effective. The arms don't get hit very much and you can just baby your left side, as always in HBR. Pop your gauss and alpha with a strong ranged poke and get back to cover. ECM makes this nice, just avoid firing lasers when you might be seen and you can fire your gauss all day from cover.

When the Ignivomous starts Vomiting Fire, it will get hot quick, but the 25 DHS will let you barf again before long. A pretty standard laser vomit build, the 1.15s alpha is very nice to unload some damage on your way to cover. You can also poke with 3 c-erML and the c-LPL over hills around cockpit level. It's also worth setting up some chainfire groups for the c-erML to help control heat when firing the c-LPL at the same time.

The Storm Bringer is very similar to a Stormcrow build I use, but this has better cooling, more armor, and ECM ftw. It's always lovely to surprise a light, who thinks they have a clean angle to flank your DWF, with 74 points of damage to their rear. :) Chainfire in general, but the pinpoint pulse alpha is great when you have the right shot. You can vary this with 2 c-SRM6A, but I like the streaks for countering lights. Also, switching to c-erML lets you load up even more DHS, but I wanted to include something with c-MPL.

What do you think? Did you run anything like these builds? What's your favorite build? Besides armor tweaks, but feel free to still mention them, what else could be done to improve these builds?

I didn't include ERPPC builds, or the triple ac/2, but they can probably be effective too.

Edited by gl0w, 29 November 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#2 Xythius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:20 AM

You're forgetting something major on that gauss build - the HBR-B RT has 2 ballistics in it, you can put the gauss in there. Then move two erml's to the LA & put three in the LT. Then shave some armor off the RA & legs for heatsinks & ammo.

On my LB20X build I do the same thing. LB20X in the RT, along w/ an SRM6, & 3x ermed's + ECM in LT.

I tried to run the Prime in a 'near-stock' configuration, but it was way too hot. Still experimenting w/ PPC builds for funsies, but haven't found anything truly usefull yet. I was able to get all 3 variants elited & 1 mastered yesterday & their fun factor increased exponentially after the double basics kicked in. Even w/ the borked CT issue, I'm loving this mech.

~Xythius

#3 impar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:48 AM

You can strip some armour points from the side torsos, head, arms and legs. You will always die to CT damage.
The Hellbringer\Loki feels like the old Dragon, shots from any side will hit your CT.

#4 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:06 AM

true, basically if you are going for the ballistic route, take the right torso and deplete the right arm then the laser would be on your left arm+torso, which you want to protect till the end for ecm.

speaking of 3ac2 it is pretty hillarious, but basically this gauss build swap it for other ACs, or something similar..,.

View Postimpar, on 30 November 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

You can strip some armour points from the side torsos, head, arms and legs. You will always die to CT damage.
The Hellbringer\Loki feels like the old Dragon, shots from any side will hit your CT.

said for now, they fixing it,.

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 30 November 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#5 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

your builds look fine and similar to what ive been running, they look to me however to be un-optimized. for example, put heatsinks in the legs, gauss ammo next to the gauss cannon.

i also prefer to run the ballistic weapon in the torso (right), that may be a matter of personal preference though.

#6 impar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:29 AM

View PostIngga Raokai, on 30 November 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

said for now, they fixing it,.

"They" have admitted the problem exists? Or its just wishful thinking?

View PostFuggles, on 30 November 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

i also prefer to run the ballistic weapon in the torso (right), that may be a matter of personal preference though.

I preferr that way too.

PS:
Ah! Regarding CT:
http://mwomercs.com/...-boxes-updated/

Edited by impar, 01 December 2014 - 02:35 AM.

#7 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:13 AM

My favorite build at the moment is the Stock HBR-Prime with the HBR-A head. If you drop a medium laser you can fit two smalls and have a Clan Warhammer. It actually works really well, which surprised me. Chainfire the PPCs, poke with the lasers when heat gets high, and it things get close and dirty you have SRMs and MGs to add the the cacophony.

Having those shoulder mounted lasers and SRMs is phenomenal for ridge-humping and taking potshots where exposing your PPCs would mean getting a load of hot Gauss action all over your face. If they fix the hitboxes I might have a new favorite Clan mech (sorry Mad Cat.)

#8 gl0w

• PipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostXythius, on 30 November 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

You're forgetting something major on that gauss build - the HBR-B RT has 2 ballistics in it, you can put the gauss in there. Then move two erml's to the LA & put three in the LT. Then shave some armor off the RA & legs for heatsinks & ammo.

On my LB20X build I do the same thing. LB20X in the RT, along w/ an SRM6, & 3x ermed's + ECM in LT.

I tried to run the Prime in a 'near-stock' configuration, but it was way too hot. Still experimenting w/ PPC builds for funsies, but haven't found anything truly usefull yet. I was able to get all 3 variants elited & 1 mastered yesterday & their fun factor increased exponentially after the double basics kicked in. Even w/ the borked CT issue, I'm loving this mech.

~Xythius

I know what you're saying, the high ballistic is nice for the gauss and regular ACs, but I found the LBx to be not as good with hill poking due to spread. The extra mobility of lbx on the arm is also nice for the brawl, and I like having two crosshairs. (Crimson straight for example: Stand on right side of saddle and you can poke with lasers at people on top and still have lbx for people coming up the ramp at closer range.) Not using the RT ballistics also lets you use the hardpoint that gives you more torso twist and also makes it basically a deadside for soaking damage. When they fix the hitboxes I imagine protecting the left arm will be easier than the right torso for gauss, but it will vary by pilot. It does always suck when you get surprised by a sniper and lose your asymmetric weapon side early.

My playstyle is pretty support based. I think rolling with DWF and TBRs can really open it up to it's role, game changing support. I've never had a new mech with such a sweet K/D and W/R before mastery. (Didn't buy TBR though.) The DWF tends to get focus fired a lot, so I mostly try to poke behind them and sling lbx at substantially weakened targets. I like being in the thick of it, and keeping those bigger guys fighting effectively. With an ecm mech this big, it seems a bit of a waste to stand alone on a ridge poking at range unless you have other snipers under your umbrella too.

#9 gl0w

• PipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostFuggles, on 30 November 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

your builds look fine and similar to what ive been running, they look to me however to be un-optimized. for example, put heatsinks in the legs, gauss ammo next to the gauss cannon.

Thanks. :) My ammo config here is basically just in the locations that I know for sure won't get destroyed. My left leg and LT haven't even gotten orange yet since I'm always twisting and the bug. Will have to see and update when it gets fixed. I think I didn't update the ammo appropriately when converting to the guass build, gauss ammo could definitely be optimized since it doesn't explode.

#10 Topshot Tiger

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 58 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

My favorite build currently is

1 U AC10,
3 ML,
1 Srm 6,
5 DHS (3 stock)
1 Ecm.

Good balance of different ranges.

#11 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

Wubbringer anyone? Simple, but haven't built anything as effective yet.

I also like this Brawler though.

Edited by John80sk, 02 December 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#12 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostJohn80sk, on 02 December 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

Wubbringer anyone? Simple, but haven't built anything as effective yet.

I also like this Brawler though.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f2485ed72acb596

I'm using this brawler, very similar to your own build. But the HBR is very vulnerable in a brawl, i hope the hotfix on the hitboxes will be good enough =)

#13 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

They Said I Could Boat Anything

So I boated double heatsinks. How fast do you think this thing cools off?

#14 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

With the Hellbringer, all my ballistics are in the RT.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 11 February 2015 - 01:55 PM.

#15 Azure Kit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

I personally like the Dakkabringer.

Bind the left arm gun to Mouse 1, the right arm gun to Mouse 2, and the 3 lasers to middle mouse. Alternate 1 and 2 (with the right timing) and you shouldn't have any issues while pumping out steady damage.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c9f77900e659656

#16 Dagon Zur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

My Timberwolf builds fit perfectly on my 3 Hellbringers:

Short range:
6xMPL, ECM

Medium range:
2xUAC5, 4xCERML, ECM

Long range:
GAUSS, 2xERPPC, ECM

..so far, all 3 work as intended

#17 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

Gauss + 2 PPCs on a Hellbringer? :blink: Link please.

#18 Dagon Zur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

and here is the link........enjoy :D

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...45276b1440cd2ff

Edited by Dagon Zur, 11 February 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#19 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PostDagon Zur, on 11 February 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

and here is the link........enjoy :D

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...45276b1440cd2ff

Nice.

I'm running a MPL x 6 config with max front armor and a LOT of DHS. It's very hard not to rack up damage. It does not have good kill capability though so I thought I'd drop by and look for some Hellbringer configs.

What is the most used/effective laser build? All I ask is that you keep in mind this build has to retain ECM and have decent heat management.

#20 NoFun

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

Here are the Hellbringer builds I enjoy. I always feel the weird demand to pilot a Hellbringer equipped with every weapon type leading to awkward results:

HBR-Prime
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=230&l=136403c9cfcf6043606f1ba721bcdc9404166834
- Large and Medium Pulse Lasers are in the same weapon group
- Medium an Small Laser are in the same weapon group
- good supporter

HBR-A
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...34edf36be01ed7b
- no ECM because I wanted two missile weapons and two machine guns ^^
- Small Pulse Laser is in the same weapon group as the SRMs for further heat efficient damage if the target is close enough
- it is very deadly at close range, but I always have to take extra care for my legs

HBR-B
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=232&l=d3e78a4fb39ae1beca659d1d2270a69c684596a4
- Large Lasers are for long range trolling, when in close range I just use the LB2-Xs, Small Pulse Lasers and SRMs
- why no Medium Lasers instead of Small Pulse Lasers? Because shorter duration and almost no heat with good damage

All in all I am doing pretty good in these variants, but they are obviously more fun based than meta.

Edited by NoFun, 14 February 2015 - 12:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users