Michael Stackpole

84 replies to this topic

Poll: Author popularity with MWO forums. (270 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the Author Michael Stackpole

1. Yes (218 votes [81.04%])

Percentage of vote: 81.04%

2. No (18 votes [6.69%])

Percentage of vote: 6.69%

3. N/A (Have not read any of his books) (33 votes [12.27%])

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostAegic, on 27 June 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

If you really don't like it that's okay! :P

However please don't resort to passive aggressively flame people who do enjoy his writing. I understand your POV and can respect why you feel the way you do, we just have different tastes is all.

Just remember that we all have different opinions on just about everything.

I did not mean to insult anyone and I apologize if I gave offense.

But many people do have rather poor taste. Just look at "professional wrestling", ***********, the Transformers movies, &c. Not saying there's anything wrong with enjoying it, just saying that it's not the most tasteful things ever.

#82 Daetrin Voltari

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

To start off, I am a fan of Stackpole's writing and have met him a few times at cons. I've never found him to be any more arrogant than any other author. The Warrior Trilogy makes up the quintessential BattleTech novels as far as I'm concerned. I haven't read his DA novels but that's because I can't stand the DA and avoid it like the plague. I actually prefer his independent novels like Dark Glory War and Talion: Revenant.

View PostAntagonist, on 26 June 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

The one thing that really annoyed me about him was the fact he introduced fusion reactors going critical.

This drives me nuts every time I see it. I'm not singling you out Antagonist, I just mean general references to Stackpole being the first (and often by implication only) person to have mechs go nuclear. Stackpole may have popularized the idea of mechs turning into mushroom clouds but he didn't start it. The Spider and the Wolf was the first cannon piece of BattleTech fiction written back in '86, two years before Stackpole published his first novel. It shows a mechwarrior refusing to be dispossessed, dying in his Griffin when it's reactor goes critical in a full page nuclear fireball. Since it was published in house by FASA it is fully canonical, unlike comics published by other companies.

Of course The Spider and the Wolf also has an Auroran from Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross, a Legioss from Genesis Climber Mospeada, and a Bushmaster from Fang of the Sun Dougram.

I must admit my favorite part is that it established (way back in '86) that Comstar are evil ******** who orchestrated the Marik Civil War to stabilize the Marik currency at a lower rate than the C-bill.

#83 Vach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostAegic, on 26 June 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Yea those are actually the very first Battletech books I read way back in middle school. Still working on reading all of the entire series however.

Ill have to check that one out next :)

I'm done with the old Battletech novels. Currently working myself up on the dark age novels.

View PostHaakon Valravn, on 27 June 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

I did not mean to insult anyone and I apologize if I gave offense.

But many people do have rather poor taste. Just look at "professional wrestling", ***********, the Transformers movies, &c. Not saying there's anything wrong with enjoying it, just saying that it's not the most tasteful things ever.

Who are you to judge what is tasteful or not? Just saying.

#84 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

While I really enjoyed his Battletech books, I would have to say one of his best was: http://www.amazon.co...rds=once+a+hero

#85 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Ah... i really like him as author...i have dozen books from him - all books have one major flaw... the characters are sterotypes.
if it is Coran Horn from X-Wing, or Tarrant Valkener or VDS or Alaric Wolf... they are all similar. But that isn't the reason why i dislike his last battletech books - i knew that he had trouble with FASA at this time mirroring in the quality of the books.

However some terrible things that happen while Stackpole was writing BT novels.
Phantom Skill
VSD died and meet his death father and the Takashi Kurita[/color]
- Davion still believe that it is ok to invade a other sovereign state with only bullshit as reason

Trent was thrown away
Lincoln Osis was beheaded by a dwarf[
Morgan Hasek Davion was killed by anybody because to hack his door wasn't hard
the Great Council - i was aboultly bored while reading the fight

The last four things are the worst. It was a slap for other authors - because everything they wrote before for example Thomas Gressman was nullified.
For example Osis was able to deal with a assassin who has trained sword fighting for years. And VSD had only one or two years of training!? And with this training he is also able to kill some ISA-agents!!!!

Edited by Karl Streiger, 02 July 2012 - 10:23 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users