Russ, Paul, Pgi... Lights 100% To Dead In Less Than A Second!

131 replies to this topic

#121 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:33 AM

I'll admit that lights need some love, but it's not because of their armor. Light mechs are supposed to be squishy, it's why they're called "lights" and not "Stormcrows" :D.

Last night I was taking my founders Catapult out for a walk when I spotted a single Firestarter creeping up behind the team. I called him out, a few mediums and heavies turned to engage, and for a solid two minutes he ate every SRM, laser, PPC and AC round we fired into him. All he was doing was weaving figure-eights at point blank range (<100 meters).

I watch way too many "hero lights" try to charge into a team trying to get a kill. It's fine if the fight has started an you can dart in and out, zapping people while they're distracted. It's not okay if you walk up to a Steiner Scout Lance and try to machinegun down an Atlas 15 seconds into the game.

#122 Mindwipe

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

Play a Locust for a while and you'll really learn how to keep a light going. Practically anything can one shot you and it seldom matters if it's front or back. The slightest over-extension and your CT is glowing orange. It focuses the mind quite nicely.

When I get killed at a good distance I generally just congrats the one who took me down on his nice shooting. Especially if it's a Gauss or PPC that did it. Not easy hitting a light at half a click that doesn't want to get hit.

While I don't think that lights should always be running serpentine due to terrain often being better cover, there is seldom any reason not to be twisting back and forth. I think a properly run light should be vomit inducing to any spectators.

#123 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:15 AM

View PostLordMelvin, on 04 December 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

Last night I was taking my founders Catapult out for a walk when I spotted a single Firestarter creeping up behind the team. I called him out, a few mediums and heavies turned to engage, and for a solid two minutes he ate we flubbed every SRM, laser, PPC and AC round we fired into him. All he was doing was weaving figure-eights at point blank range (<100 meters).

You don't get away with doing that at higher elos. When you play against good players, they don't miss.

#124 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:23 AM

The real problem that needs to be addressed is the instant pinpoint convergence alpha strikes. Even with the mistake of running in a straight line, it should be (almost) impossible for several weapons to all hit the same location in any moving target. When you combine this with the necessary (for MechWarrior) hit location game mechanic, it breaks the game.

#125 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:22 AM

View Postprocess, on 03 December 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

Probably between 30-35 hp total between armor and structure. I would have also liked to see what killed him -- lasers and/or...?

A torso section has 32hp total Front and Back. If he skimped on the back and has an XL Engine, Boom goes the Raven... ;)

Kermit coined that phrase... ;)

#126 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostFunkadelic Mayhem, on 03 December 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Russ, Paul, PGI....

You keep buffing mediums, heavies and assaults. BUT lights are left in the dust! I went from 100% to dead in less then 1 second!

I think anyone who listen to that kind of music should die in seconds :3

#127 MuzMuzMuz

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

@OP

Sorry but ANY mech with an IS XL engine can die in 1 alpha if hit from behind. Including Assults. This is not a light mech problem.

Of all my mechs - the smaller and more manouverable it is, the more survivable it is. The ability to avoid danegerous situations and dodge shots seems more effective than all the armour of an assult.

#128 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

View PostHotthedd, on 04 December 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

The real problem that needs to be addressed is the instant pinpoint convergence alpha strikes. Even with the mistake of running in a straight line, it should be (almost) impossible for several weapons to all hit the same location in any moving target. When you combine this with the necessary (for MechWarrior) hit location game mechanic, it breaks the game.

(Some) People have been saying that pretty much since hit detection got fixed with state rewind and everyone's torsos and heads started popping left and right.

#129 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:38 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 04 December 2014 - 09:25 PM, said:

(Some) People have been saying that pretty much since hit detection got fixed with state rewind and everyone's torsos and heads started popping left and right.

Most have said it needs to be addressed since cb

#130 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostSandpit, on 04 December 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

Most have said it needs to be addressed since cb

I do remember the goons with 9 MPL awesomes, yes.

#131 Uthael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:16 AM

How about this?! Around-the-corner "hello" to a Misery. Was pretty funny though... I once instagibbed a Cicada from the front with a dual Gauss, too xD

Posted Image

Edit: Liao's primary light mech in it's natural state.

Edited by Uthael, 19 December 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#132 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

View PostUthael, on 19 December 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

How about this?! Around-the-corner "hello" to a Misery. Was pretty funny though... I once instagibbed a Cicada from the front with a dual Gauss, too xD

Posted Image

Edit: Liao's primary light mech in it's natural state.

Probably ate 40 damage to the side torso in one shot. Not surprised you died.

Though why you necro'ed the thread is beyond me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users