- - - - -

How Does Unlocking Range Extender Modules Work?

12 replies to this topic

#1 kebab removal unit

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:10 PM

I haven't found answer to this particular question on this forum, so here's a new topic. There are 5 levels of a range extender modules that can be unlocked in a pilot skill tree. However, it is availible for purchase and install for 3 mln c-bills on any level. So what will happen if I for example will buy and install a level 2 ERL Laser extended range module(which adds 4% of range) and then will unlock a level 3 module? Will installed module work as a lvl 3 (which adds 6% of range) extended range module or I will have to buy it again for 3 mln?

#2 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:30 PM

It upgrades the current module that you have, so you won't have to buy a new one.

#3 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:39 PM

On top of this: Can they stack..? Like, if you have two level 5s?

#4 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

You can try it, if you want to. Me, i'm not willing to spend 3mil on an additional weapon module...

#5 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

View PostVxheous, on 05 December 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

It upgrades the current module that you have, so you won't have to buy a new one.

This is correct.

View PostWTFClock, on 05 December 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

They do not.

#6 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

Just think of the module and the skill as seperate things.

One is the hardware itself

the other one is how much your pilot gets out of that hardware,

#7 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostWTFClock, on 05 December 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

View Postdragnier1, on 05 December 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

You can try it, if you want to. Me, i'm not willing to spend 3mil on an additional weapon module...

Actually, once you put the module in a slot, the module will become unavailable in the list with the explanation "EQUIPPED" listed where the Equip button would be. (It will instead read to "LOCKED" if you don't have the skill purchased or "NOT ENOUGH SLOTS" if you don't have a slot left to put it in.) So two of the same modules are not allowed. You won't even have the opportunity to spend that extra 3 mil. if you don't put it on two different mechs at once.

However, a cooldown module and range module are considered different. You can boost the range and cooldown of a weapon at the same time if you want to.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

View Postkebab removal unit, on 05 December 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

I haven't found answer to this particular question on this forum, so here's a new topic. There are 5 levels of a range extender modules that can be unlocked in a pilot skill tree. However, it is availible for purchase and install for 3 mln c-bills on any level. So what will happen if I for example will buy and install a level 2 ERL Laser extended range module(which adds 4% of range) and then will unlock a level 3 module? Will installed module work as a lvl 3 (which adds 6% of range) extended range module or I will have to buy it again for 3 mln?

First, you gain experience and knowledge as a pilot.
With that knowledge, you start learning things. Hearing them at bars, from colleagues, etc. Illegal modifications to weapons.
When you gain enough knowledge, you 'unlock' the way to get such things.
You make the call. The video on the other end is dead. You're told to go to some place isolated, after hours, with the cbills in hand. An immense amount of cbills, I might add. With 2 million cbills (3052) being equal to 16,000,000 dollars U.S. (as of the value of 2010).

You arrive in a dark, poorly lit alley. You can feel guns trained on you.

"Did you bring the money?"

By some miracle, you weren't just killed with your cbills taken from you.
In your hands, a shiny part. Illegal as all heck, but everyone's doing it now. Like steroids in the olympics, or upgraded weapons in the Solaris Arena.

Over time, you learn that you can upgrade the software and hardware in this piece of equipment. It won't even cost you a cbill. Just time. Time to learn about how to do it, time to get it done.

----------

In other words, you unlock access. You buy the part.
You unlock upgrades and all copies you have are automatically upgraded at no additional charge. Any future ones you get will automatically be upgraded, too.

#9 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 777 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:33 AM

Cooldown increases rate of fire (reload). Does it increase also the weapon heat while firing at increased rate? Or the heat is adjusted?

#10 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostExoForce, on 06 December 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Cooldown increases rate of fire (reload). Does it increase also the weapon heat while firing at increased rate? Or the heat is adjusted?

It increases heat only to the extent that you're firing more frequently so you build up heat more quickly. In of itself the module doesn't have a heat penalty as such.

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

Once you equip a module of any type, that type is grayed out so you cannot equip doubles of any kind.

#12 Hamish McPiton

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFishing out of my cockpit hatch.

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostLava Cookies, on 05 December 2014 - 11:39 PM, said:

Yeah - once equiped you can't add another - but they DO stack with quirks - sometimes to big extra bang for your hard earned bucks - the SRM4 range module combined with the Griffin 3M SRM4 quirks - range jumps from the normal 270 to (I think) 324. Nice.

And the AC5 cooldown makes my triple AC5 Jager S happy combined with the quirks for AC5 it's back to Dakka goodness, but not as much as the Dragon 1N - stacking the insane quirks with both the AC5 cooldown and range modules turns it's right arm into the fist of an angry god.

#13 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

if you unlock to level 2, then buy the module... then later unlock to a higher level, the modules of that type that you won are all upgraded to the new level without you having to do anything else or pay anymore cbills.

in my Twolves I used to run a ERMdL range module to get them closer to the LPL range that was also fitted.

Edited by Keira RAVEN McKenna, 09 December 2014 - 01:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users