Ctf-4X Builds

15 replies to this topic

#1 Goldensaver

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hello. I've been putting together some CTF-4X's, and I'm not too sure which is better. I can't afford even one of them at the moment, I'm just planning for the future. I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on the Cataphract, and if either of my two attempts to jam one together is worth any merit. My to fits are as follows:

2x UAC5, 2x AC/2
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b1c00fce9965803

4x AC/2
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ce07cd4c18e7ee6

Which one would likely be better/more fun? What changes could be made to make them better?

I'm also looking at this one (2x UAC/5, 2x AC/5)
http://mwomercs.com/...d-and-gameplay/

And then there's another 4x AC/5 that I'm thinking of jamming together.

Also, what sort of armour spreads should I be looking at for a Cataphract?

I'm afraid that despite some small experience with Battletech, I've never been any good at making mechs, myself. I'm just looking for help/input before I blow a wad of CBills.

Thank you.

#2 Perigrinial

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Drop TAG...

#3 Goldensaver

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

Ah, I wasn't sure about that one. I've seen some people say that you should put it on anything you have the slots/tonnage to spare, and I had 1 slot and one tonne to spare for either ammo or a tag, so I figured I'd put on the TAG. Course, it isn't doing much for me except getting me spots/assists, so I guess it can go.

#4 Golfin Man

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 162 posts
  • Locationyour flank

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

The builds look pretty solid the only thing I would suggest is losing the tag/streaks/ams for more ammo. I'm not sure about XL engines in the 4X, someone else will probably have insight/experience in that regard. The thing about the 4X is you'll always be slow and don't have much defense against lights. Perhaps substituting some medium lasers in for the ams/tag would give you a little bit more close range defense. You could also go rogue and put 2 UAC/5s and a large laser. Furthermore, a STD engine might be more viable in this configuration, giving you some survivability. Theoretically, the 4X has the best "zombie" value of any of the phracts, as you have head/center torso weapons, and can lose an entire side of your mech (provided you have a standard engine) and still continue to deal damage.

Edited by Golfin Man, 18 April 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#5 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

I've tried them all and what you rock depends on the play style really.

4ac2 allows you to have a lot of ammo, backup lasers and super range as well as good dps. It is however low on initial punch and requirus you to face tank a lot of damge. It's main limmiting factor is heat.

4 ac5s just pretty much is meh, great on heat, ammo, room for backup weapo s but not very scary.

2uac5 + 2ac5s, very ammo, weight, critspace heavy build. Less range but more initial dps than ac2s. Heat friendly and absolutely rapes anything you hit. Possible to find yourself out of ammo at the end of the match thoug with no backup weapons.

2uac5 + 2ac2. Best all around compromise of range, heat, initial burst, dps, range, ammo. Less acary than previus build, but better in a long match.

I suggest tying g the latter 2 with an xl 255 and as much ammo as you can fit.

#6 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

I forgot to add that the keys to all of these builds is to not be in the front lines, stay at 300+ meters and provide fire support. Exchanging too many rounds might get you one kill but you'll fall over dead when another mech sneezes at you.

#7 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

Even though you have more tonnage to play with, the slotting limitations, profile, and low hardpoints of the 4X are going to leave you disappointed as an XL fire support. If you're going to go that way the 2x UAC/5, 2x AC/5 is one of your best bets for pure damage. If you want to run a STD engine you can become more hardy. I like my 2x AC/10 zombie, but you can also run STD engines up to quad AC/5--where it runs very tight with a downgraded engine. Keep full armor on your torsos at all times. You can skimp a bit on your legs and arms due to their size/position.

If you really want a fantastic fire support that runs XL I'd suggest the Jagermech. It has less tonnage, but its arms' extra crit slots mean you can fit incredibly lightweight (and powerful) AC builds that the 4X cannot--like the economical 2x AC/20. It has a wide profile like the Cataphract, but insanely high mounted ballistics that let you fight from cover. The CTF has to fully expose itself to bring both arms on target. The JM6 can do it with just 1/3 of its body exposed.

#8 BumRuckus

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

Also I don't think this has been pointed out: case is literally USELESS when you have an XL. Remember that it only contains the ammo explosion to the component in which it is installed. You still loose the component. If an ammo in goes off in your side torso your engine is gone. And since you can't put case in your arms, it is effectively wasted tonnage. Put the ammo in your arms legs and cockpit and pray.

Loose tag, the benefit to your team is minimal, and you could use the ammo which those guns specifically (ac/2 and uac/5) will absolutely CHEW through. You need 250 rounds of uac/5 and at least 150 of ac/2. However this is a very effective build (the firsr one) and is great at all ranges. Runs very hot so you might want to try to fit more heatsinks if possible.

The 4xac2 build is fun, better with ammo, and great for long range support, but very weak in bursts. Difficult to aim for specific components in a brawl so I reccomend keeping back.

Personally one build I use is 2x ac/10 and one LPL. Great up to mid range and decent punch.if you want to use the middle hard point, try an SRM4 instead of the streak.

Good luck and have fun.

#9 Goldensaver

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

Alright, so going off the suggestions, I've come up with this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6b4ddef92a13fb

It's got 2 MLas in the CT, and about as much ammo as I could cram in (though probably still not enough, considering losing armour and perhaps a DHS or two for more). I'm not sure what else I could possibly do, given the tonnage. I had been considering a Jager, but I'd head the Cataphract did ballistics decently as well, and I saw I had more tonnage to work with.

I have also been considering an AC/20 Jager build, but that's a bit further down the line... When I have money, you know?

Also, I don't know why I forgot how useless CASE was with an XL Engine. I must not have been thinking. I think all of my 'mechs currently use Standard engines, so it became a thing of habit.

#10 Nexus Omega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostGoldensaver, on 18 April 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Alright, so going off the suggestions, I've come up with this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6b4ddef92a13fb

It's got 2 MLas in the CT, and about as much ammo as I could cram in (though probably still not enough, considering losing armour and perhaps a DHS or two for more). I'm not sure what else I could possibly do, given the tonnage. I had been considering a Jager, but I'd head the Cataphract did ballistics decently as well, and I saw I had more tonnage to work with.

I have also been considering an AC/20 Jager build, but that's a bit further down the line... When I have money, you know?

Also, I don't know why I forgot how useless CASE was with an XL Engine. I must not have been thinking. I think all of my 'mechs currently use Standard engines, so it became a thing of habit.

I ran that for quite a while, the AC2's help mitigate the jamming on the UAC's while using chain-fire, (not 100% effective though)
Shift the Ammo to the Legs, Head and Arms. they will be less dangerous in those locations. I put my AC2 ammo in the Arms

#11 LittleGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

I'm using a dual ac5/Uac5 build at the moment and loving it.

Get endo, DHS, a XL 250 engine and almost max armour(416 of 434). No extra heat sinks as you don't need any more beyond whats in the engine and cram as much ammo as you can in. I have 90 ac5 and 100 Uac5 ammo. I do run out however but if you aim well it does stupid amounts of damage.

Also if it doesn't jam on you it melts things fast.

#12 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

I really like my double LBX10 build with 2 MPL's. It's a great "In your face" build that keeps disabling stuff and scares away the lights. I just soloed two stalkers one after another with it.

#13 ho1mes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

I'm a fan of the AC2x2, UAC5x2 build. I giveup the ML for more ammo, but that's purely preference. This build is capable of ridiculous burst damage. The thing with the cataphract is to look for cover you can swing your massive gorilla arms around. Don't expose your whole torso to fire by walking over a ridge. You will increase your survivability that way. Group your weapons to each arm to allow this.

#14 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Dual Gauss is the way to go, friend. No ammo explosions because no one targets the arms over the torso, because they have almost as much armour as the torso (my front LT/RT only have 2 points more than the arms) while being smaller targets.

CTF-4Xs

You could probably lose the AMS for some more ammo and/or armour. Only issue is the low arms make it annoying to fire over a hill, but that's an issue no matter what you use; just poor mech design.

#15 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostGoldensaver, on 18 April 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

Hello. I've been putting together some CTF-4X's, and I'm not too sure which is better. I can't afford even one of them at the moment, I'm just planning for the future. I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on the Cataphract, and if either of my two attempts to jam one together is worth any merit. My to fits are as follows:

2x UAC5, 2x AC/2
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b1c00fce9965803

4x AC/2
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ce07cd4c18e7ee6

Which one would likely be better/more fun? What changes could be made to make them better?

I'm also looking at this one (2x UAC/5, 2x AC/5)
http://mwomercs.com/...d-and-gameplay/

And then there's another 4x AC/5 that I'm thinking of jamming together.

Also, what sort of armour spreads should I be looking at for a Cataphract?

I'm afraid that despite some small experience with Battletech, I've never been any good at making mechs, myself. I'm just looking for help/input before I blow a wad of CBills.

Thank you.

No, and you're a bad person for even thinking about buying it. Rather get a 3D/1X or a Jager.

#16 Derpy the Daedra

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

I personally run a weird loadout on my 4x just for versatility and fun's sake, it goes a little something like this:

-1 LB 10-X AC
-1 UAC/5
-1 SRM 4
-2 Machine Guns
-2 Med Pulse Lasers
-XL Engine 255
- 2 Double Heat Sinks
-Ferro-Fibrous Armor
-Standard Structure
-Standard Guidance Systems
-2 tons of LBX ammo
-3 tons of UAC ammo
-1 ton of MG ammo
-1 ton of SRM ammo
-Full Armor

...what lead me to this build is that I wanted to stray away from the normal "dakka" sort of builds that people often use for the CTF-4x, so I got creative and picked a couple weapons to start with. at first I went for an all-ballistic build and had the LBX, the UAC and the 2 MGs. then I accumulated more c-bills and bought an XL 255 along with double heat sinks, but there wasn't a whole lot I could add since sadly I was running low on slots and tonnage. I then decided to add the pulse lasers and SRM 4 to pack on the extra accumulated damage. I love the CTF-4x but sadly it's not good for all-around weapon builds; it's just particularly good for builds focusing heavily or entirely on ballistic weapons (as I'm sure you already know). anyways if you or anyone else decide to try out this loadout, I hope you enjoy it or tweak it to suit your own preferences. enjoy! :3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users