#1 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:05 AM

Like many, I own all the Hunchies.

Also, like many, my Favs are the G and P model.

Now the quirks are out. Most work in my favour as I had them already built to my liking and the quirks given just sort of fell in place with my load outs for the most part.

So here we go. I want to discuss the H Model. Quirks make you lean toward the AC10 . ML build. Mine was loaded like that pre-quirks and still is.

The problem I have with the 4H is that I like the G and P and even SP better. It just seems lack luster when comparing it to some of the other models.

1 Ballistic slot, 5 or 6 laser slots (I think, working from memory here). i Run mine with an AC10, 5 MLs and a standard 250 engine and mostly full armour.

The The P and G models seem more agile to me, Obviously I have a larger engine in the P model, so, yes that accounts for some, but a smaller in the G model.

The AC10 has always seemed to be an underwhelming weapon, imo. Even with the modules for range and cool down. Even the sound (sounds to me like a kids pop gun).

Yes I have run this mech with varying loads, AC20, Gauss, AC5, UAC5 etc... IF I load an AC20, then dont I just have another G model wannabe? Gauss is ok. AC5 or UAC5 and you really need 2. LBX10 just never liked in this version of MechWarrior

I really want to like the H, but the other options overshadow it imo.

What do you guys think? You can list loadouts if you want, but I have been around since early closed beta and I have tried almost all the weapons you can get on this mech. Moreinterested in your thoughts and opinions.. Thanx folks

#2 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

I've only taken out the 4H for a few matches since the quirks but I was loving it with the standard 5ML+ AC10 build. The AC10 fires every 1.5 seconds with the quirks, module and skills so its got a nice punch even if you have to fire more often.

The bigger deal for me is that it also gets buffs for the medium lasers (20% cooldown and 20% heat generation). The appeal of the 4H vs the 4G was that it could have more bite with lasers but it was always limited because of the heat. With the quirks suddenly its got a fast fire AC10 and lasers that it can spam way more easily.

So, IMHO the standard build remains the best option for the mech and it plays exactly like it used to except that its way better at it now.

#3 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:33 PM

I prefer the 4H as a ridge humping Gauss sniper. It's slightly inferior to the 4G in that setup, but if you've already dedicated the 4G to running an AC/20 (and why wouldn't you) then the 4H gives you the flexibility of a long range direct fire Hunchback alongside it.

I'd say with the ballistic quirks it performs the role about as well as a Blackjack or standard engine Shadowhawk, and offers a little more durability and brawling potential compared to the greater ranged firepower an XL Shadowhawk can bring.

There's not a huge need for a medium sniper at the moment, but I think it could make a decent drop deck choice for big, open maps after CW hits. Spend 50 tons on a reasonably fast moving ranged 'Mech to open the match with, and use the savings to bring a bigger bruiser after the match has reached its later stages and the engagement ranges have closed.

Edited by Bleary, 07 December 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#4 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostBleary, on 07 December 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

I prefer the 4H as a ridge humping Gauss sniper. It's slightly inferior to the 4G in that setup, but if you've already dedicated the 4G to running an AC/20 (and why wouldn't you) then the 4H gives you the flexibility of a long range direct fire Hunchback alongside it.

I'd say with the ballistic quirks it performs the role about as well as a Blackjack or standard engine Shadowhawk, and offers a little more durability and brawling potential compared to the greater ranged firepower an XL Shadowhawk can bring.

There's not a huge need for a medium sniper at the moment, but I think it could make a decent drop deck choice for big, open maps after CW hits. Spend 50 tons on a reasonably fast moving ranged 'Mech to open the match with, and use the savings to bring a bigger bruiser after the match has reached its later stages and the engagement ranges have closed.

Considering the upcoming changes to the Grid Iron's quirks you may want to switch your Gauss Rifle build to the GI, If you own one. As a tier 5 mech it's liable to get a 25% buff to the Gauss rifle which would put it at a 3 second cooldown (not counting fast fire and module bonuses).

But, you're right that the Hunchy is fun with a GR since it adds a ton of flexibility at the expense of pure brawling potential.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users