Help With Fps/upgrade

11 replies to this topic

#1 Vance

Rookie

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:07 PM

So in short, during beta, i coped with 9-12 fps. Now, expecially lately, iv been tolerating 20-40fps, with severe dips in the low spectrum... and as of yesterday, with the King Crab release, im desperate to maintain a steady FPS. Specs as follows - Any advice on an upgrade?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire X1301
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon™ II X3 425 Processor, 2700 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 3 Logical Processor(s)
Locale United States
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.97 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.70 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Name NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 - (im looking at a 720, but not sure if itll fit in my tower. Going to look at it in person shortly after this post is posted)
Adapter Type GeForce GT 610, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Resolution 1440 x 900 x 59 hertz

So... with my tower being rather narrow and the CPU upgrades limited... should i bother upping the GPU or just save up for a completely new tower?

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

I'm gonna go with a new system. You can probably salvage the RAM and HDD (though you will need to reinstall Windows), but the rest of this is pretty weak and limiting. You can build a system with the pentium anniversary chip and a decent GPU with a small budget. There are threads for less than 500 and 500-1000 machines. Check them out, get an idea of what kind of budget you're looking at, what your goals are, and let us know.

#3 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

Not really designed for upgrades. The GPU is onboard, and there appears to be one PCI-E x16 slot, but low profile. I can't see fitting any GPU in there that would be an upgrade. Also, the PSU is rated at only 220W, which is very low. With the total unit being slim form factor, there really are no options.

http://www.ascendtec...SCM01.002_3.JPG

I would go with a new system, preferably custom built. The problem with most store bought or pre-built systems is you have no control over what parts they actually use and thus no control over quality and expandability. Building your own system is not as difficult as you might think. As long as you are conscious of static control and have a few small tools and some patience, it's like putting together legos.

#4 Lulz Kev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:57 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qgBCt6

My attempt.

You'll still need case and accessories.

#5 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

I gotta Say, it would be in your best interest to save/re-use Your Case, DVD/CD burner/player, Power Supply (if possible), RAM, Hard Drive, Motherboard and build a new system if you have the cash to do so.

Even if you have to E-Bay a GTX 560 ti you would be better off. (after new build)

Should be able to pull it off for around $320.00 dollars, if you can use the OS.

Edited by Odins Fist, 10 December 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#6 Lulz Kev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 10 December 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

I gotta Say, it would be in your best interest to save/re-use Your Case, DVD/CD burner/player, Power Supply (if possible), RAM, Hard Drive, Motherboard and build a new system if you have the cash to do so.

Even if you have to E-Bay a GTX 560 ti you would be better off. (after new build)

Should be able to pull it off for around $320.00 dollars, if you can use the OS.

He will probably only be able to use his case and dvd drive.

PSU is weak

Mobo is not so great, Ram maybe

#7 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

New computer. You can build a pretty beefy one these days for under $1,000 if you buy components on sale after xmas. Avoid generic computers.

My experience stripping those sorts of computers is to just toss them and see if one of your friends has a spare case laying around.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 10 December 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#8 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostVance, on 10 December 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

So in short, during beta, i coped with 9-12 fps. Now, expecially lately, iv been tolerating 20-40fps, with severe dips in the low spectrum... and as of yesterday, with the King Crab release, im desperate to maintain a steady FPS. Specs as follows - Any advice on an upgrade?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire X1301
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon™ II X3 425 Processor, 2700 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 3 Logical Processor(s)
Locale United States
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.97 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.70 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Name NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 - (im looking at a 720, but not sure if itll fit in my tower. Going to look at it in person shortly after this post is posted)
Adapter Type GeForce GT 610, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Resolution 1440 x 900 x 59 hertz

So... with my tower being rather narrow and the CPU upgrades limited... should i bother upping the GPU or just save up for a completely new tower?

Not worth messing with your system--it's obsolete for MWO.

Save up money for the new system, from scratch.

Right now RAM memory is moving to DDR 4 standard, so you are better off getting everything new. If you think you can do it and have friends that can help you then try to do it yourself--buy all the components and assemble them together, then install Windows, and any programs you like (and drivers) and backup your system with a backup program like Acronis.

#9 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:50 PM

Only Haswell-E is using DDR4. Even the next generation of Intel's mainstream chips will only be using DDR3. AMD is building a hybrid DDR3/DDR4 controller on one of their next chips, but there's a decent probability of the next one they release also being DDR3 only, or split between DDR3 and DDR4 for different price tiers. DDR4 is also completely useless, there is no performance difference between DDR3-1866 and DDR4-2666 in MWO or any other game.

#10 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 11 December 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

Only Haswell-E is using DDR4. Even the next generation of Intel's mainstream chips will only be using DDR3. AMD is building a hybrid DDR3/DDR4 controller on one of their next chips, but there's a decent probability of the next one they release also being DDR3 only, or split between DDR3 and DDR4 for different price tiers. DDR4 is also completely useless, there is no performance difference between DDR3-1866 and DDR4-2666 in MWO or any other game.

Thanks for the info. You maybe right about DDR 4 just being phased in and not gaining mainstream acceptance for awhile, but you also maybe wrong too, seeing how the technology is progressing in leaps and bounds. DDR3 jumped right into DDR5 for video cards and I wouldn't be surprised if DDR3, being that it's so much slower, be quickly phased out. Anyway, that is not the point that I was making--I was simply saying that newer is the right way to go, in reference to what he/she has. It's pretty atrocious, by today's standards, actually... http://www.datamemor...spire-x1301.htm DDR 2 and a generic motherboard with an AMD 3 core processor at 2.7 GHz.. that's good enough for a movie or internet experience, not MWO experience.

#11 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything that old to do well at all, either, and newer is always slightly better.

There was DDR4 for GPUs. The HD 2900 had it, and a couple others I believe. It just made zero sense because GDDR5 was already on its way, and GDDR4 suffered from some issues. GDDR5 = DDR3 essentially, though. As far as GPUs go, stacked RAM is on its way. AMD might premier it first. Crazy bandwidth. From the system RAM side, though, dual-channel DDR3-1866 or triple-channel DDR3-1600 is already more than enough. No reason to pay in organs for DDR4 (I'm running it, but I have other uses for it). It'll be a couple years before it's mainstream at least.

EDIT: in case you want to know the sad story behind GDDR4... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR4

Edited by xWiredx, 11 December 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#12 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 11 December 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything that old to do well at all, either, and newer is always slightly better.

There was DDR4 for GPUs. The HD 2900 had it, and a couple others I believe. It just made zero sense because GDDR5 was already on its way, and GDDR4 suffered from some issues. GDDR5 = DDR3 essentially, though. As far as GPUs go, stacked RAM is on its way. AMD might premier it first. Crazy bandwidth. From the system RAM side, though, dual-channel DDR3-1866 or triple-channel DDR3-1600 is already more than enough. No reason to pay in organs for DDR4 (I'm running it, but I have other uses for it). It'll be a couple years before it's mainstream at least.

EDIT: in case you want to know the sad story behind GDDR4... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR4

Yeah, move to 3D RAM is going to be sooner than expected because Samsung is the leader and they already made a public salvo with their 3D RAM in their 950 series SSDs.. it's just a matter of time before everyone moves to that type of RAM and they wouldn't stop at DDR 4, whether game developers implement support for that extra bandwidth or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users