- - - - -

.69X Zoom?

9 replies to this topic

#1 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:28 AM

Ok, I've been playing for a bit now, so maybe this is a question I should have already figured out the answer for... I was watching some NGNG footage today and Sean Lang often zooms in and out during combat, but I JUST noticed the zoom factor is more than what I can accomplish! I can only seem to zoom out to 1.0x.... so what is he doing to get this .69x zoom, which of course means he can see more of the battlefield(great situational awareness)??? Is this a module that can be purchased? Or a Founders perk?

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

Possibly the FOV adjustment to the User.cfg file.
Which is one of the game modifications PGI has said they are ok with us doing

Under the game folder (not the Bin32 where the game launcher is - the one before that) there may be a file User.cfg

Add the line

cl_fov = #

To that (where # is equal to ... well... a number, IE: cl_fov = 79 is what mine is set at) and it adjusts your field of view.

If the User.cfg is not there, just make a new txt file and rename the .txt to .cfg

You may need to play with it a bit - as when I set mine much higher than that (a wider view) the images start to look warped

Edited by Shar Wolf, 11 December 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#3 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

Honestly, that's pretty awesome. FOV is huge for any game. I remember from BattleTech that some pilots would have a front screen set to 180 degrees for their FOV. Probally not practical in this game, but cool that you could simulate that for laughs. :D Now, I can see this not being very useful in mechs without big "side windows", but there are some that this will... I'll give this a try later tonight! :)

#4 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

Was he using a clan mech? It's quite possible he had an adv. targeting module installed. That will increase zoom some. Command module for IS mechs.

I dont the think FOV will have an impact on zoom. Just changes field of view.

Edited by Omaha, 11 December 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#5 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostOmaha, on 11 December 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Was he using a clan mech? It's quite possible he had an adv. targeting module installed. That will increase zoom some. Command module for IS mechs.

No, I saw this in the bottom right corner of his display HUD, right where everyone gets their zoom factor displayed. I saw it both as he was piloting a Cicada from a few weeks ago, and a King Crab from just the other day, so it is not either Clan Tech or a Command Module. I may go over to NGNG and take a look at some more videos, just to see how long he's been using this .69x zoom factor. Shar, is this what you were talking about earlier or is the Config file more along the lines of what Omaha is thinking?

#6 Sakuya Nishizumi

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostOmaha, on 11 December 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Field of view affects your unzoom levels. I went from around 0.69 (72 FOV) to 0.58 (90 FOV).

Edited by SakuyaSama7, 11 December 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#7 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostWilliam Slayer, on 11 December 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

Shar, is this what you were talking about earlier or is the Config file more along the lines of what Omaha is thinking?

My zoom (basic) shows as .7

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 11 December 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

Possibly the FOV adjustment to the User.cfg file.

This exactly.

Most players run their FPS-style games at 70 to 75 degrees because it feels more natural.
60 degrees leaves you with no real peripheral vision, it's just "exactly where you are looking" and that's it. It feels unnatural.
Going above 75 creates a kind of fishbowl feeling, a rating of 90 for example will not only pull your view back but fishbowl you a bit too; a view of 120 FOV (can't get this btw) is like taking your entire eyeball as a lens and trying to look through it from a little ways behind it.

View PostWilliam Slayer, on 11 December 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

lines of what Omaha is thinking?

Omaha is thinking of the targeting computer / command console enhanced zooms, which let you achieve more than 3.0x zoom.

FoV has an impact on the 'No Zoom' level of sight.

Non-zoom standard FOV
Posted Image

Non-zoom, 100 FoV (No longer possible to get FoVs above 90)
Posted Image

Yes. Those are both Griffins.

Edited by Koniving, 11 December 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

Yes, higher FoV results in a default zoom level calculated at less than 1x. Note that this is zooming further away, not zooming closer; higher magnification zoom can be achieved with Targetting Computers and the PiP Advanced Zoom module.

#10 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

Good explanations gentlemen, Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users