A Quick Question Regarding Packs

8 replies to this topic

#1 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hello there.

ive just created a second account for Clan mechs and wondered if either of the Clan or Wave 2 packs will grant me a free King Crab. I understand that the King Crab is IS but Im sure I read somewhere it comes as a freebie with one of the packs.

Failing that, which pack would you advise me to buy as Im rather new to MWO

Cheers

Edited by Soultraxx, 11 December 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

Purchasing the top tier of ANY pack will grant the King Crab.

Masakari and Man-o-War packs each qualify.

Edit:
As for which one...

If you are interested in the King Crab for community Warfare - I would go for the Resistance Pack - as the K-Crab is an IS chassis, so you would not be able to use it and the Clan Chassis from the other two packs in CW.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 11 December 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#3 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

Thank you for the quick reply.

I already have the Resistance pack on my "IS" account for CW.

In this case Im just looking for bang for buck.

Are the Wave 2 Mechs better than the Clan pack mechs?

Cheers

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Wave 2 mechs are (for the most part) nothing really amazing

Gargoyle is FAST (for an assault) but has little punch
Ice Ferret and Mist Lynx are slower than their IS counterparts - and the MLX suffers from (like the Gargoyle) lack of weaponry

Hellbringer has a lot of punch - and ECM - but gets pit against the Timberwolf due to weight class.

Edit:
If you have the full Resistance package - you are already getting a King Crab (if you do not already have it)

Another pack will not give a 2nd or 3rd.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 11 December 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#5 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:24 PM

This is a new account that is purely for Clan Mechs. My Resistance pack is on my IS account.

So I guess the Man o war or Maskari is the clan pack I should buy and ignore the Wave 2?

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

Welcome back.

First, Man o War is the Wave 2 pack. So saying to get it but ignore the Wave 2 doesn't make much sense.

Pick and choose as you please. Ultimately Masakari / Wave 1 mechs are all available for cbills now, and the total accumulation for them is 240 dollars (at 30 dollars per set of 3 mechs).

The Wave II mechs in a complete collection is 120 dollars (again 30 dollars per mech) but at are not yet available for cbills.

This leaves you with a decision.

I personally could not say which has more value.

You could easily pick and choose 6 of the 8 chassis from Wave 1 or 3 of the 4 chassis from wave 2 as 'Al la Carte' and spend less, getting each mech still for 30 bucks each but not as many.

Or you can just grind the cbills to snag them without spending money.

Getting a King Crab is a pretty moot point if this is going to be a Clan-only account, if you're using it for Community Warfare then you'll never be able to use it on this account anyway. (You can in regular 'Play Now' matches, but that is just grinding cbills or 'casual' play in random drops.)

Wave 1.0 (Kit Fox to Dire Wolf) is based around slow speed high firepower. (Each can bring impressive alpha strikes short of the Summoner, who instead is better focused on spamming missile support or high-yield pinpoint weapons).

Wave 1.5 (Adder to Warhawk) is based around modest speed, modest firepower. (The Adder can being decent, bigger guns than the Kit Fox but not so many of them. The Stormcrow brings high speed and good firepower; the Timber Wolf brings identical speed to the Summoner but more diverse firepower. Finally the Warhawk is virtually top speed for a mech of its size and can bring some high yield firepower but is pretty limited on the FLD department).

Wave 2 (Myst Lynx to Gargoyle) is based around high agility and speed, light but easily managed firepower. (Lynx and Ferret are your agility masters. The Hellbringer is akin to the Timber Wolf and Summoner though ECM does allow it some stealth options that the others do not possess. Finally the Gargoyle is the epitome of speed, built for eliminating light and medium opposition with ease.)

Good luck. May you honor the Bloodname you have taken for yourself.

Edited by Koniving, 11 December 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#7 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

Thank you all for the input - its much appreciated

#8 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

FYI if you get both the Masakari and ManOWar packs you get a unique 30%cbill Mad Dog mech too as an extra bonus ontop of the KGC for a single top pack. .

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

You're welcome Soultraxx.

There is that, too.
I like my Mad Dog. It, like the other heavies, falls into the 81 kph / decent arsenal niche but it has limited tonnage and armor. Nice hitboxes, not too overpowered yet not easily wiped out. A Mad Dog can be acquired for cbills, however.

(To note: Thanks to donations by one particularly awesome person, I have the entire Clan collection; Invasion waves 1, 1.5, and 2. I have only limited experience in the Gargoyle so far but it has already become my favorite assault [Speed comes in handy, I love burst fire ACs and LBX weapons, and I feel like a gentleman; I need my top hat and monocle just to be complete]. So I have and used all of them so far.)

Posted Image
I say, it's a good day to be a Clanner.

Edited by Koniving, 11 December 2014 - 04:30 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users