Interstate 76/Car Wars thread

6 replies to this topic

#1 Brosef Stalin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

I refuse to believe I'm the only person here who played/loved this equally old, equally Mechwarrior-engine'ed, Activision-good-ol-days game, Interstate '76.

Likewise, for the Battletech tabletop stalwarts, a little gem from Steve Jackson Games by the name of Car Wars I'm equally certain I'm not alone in loving.

Anyone? Anyone?

#2 Morashtak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Car Wars - Still have a some materials laying around. Oh, look! Car Wars Compendium, copyright 1989. Book is older than some of the posters on this forum. :ph34r:

Great memories.

Interstate '76 - nope. But did play the old 8-bit Car Wars video game way back in the day.

#3 Nikoliy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 245 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

That was a great game. Too bad 82 wasn't as good it might have started a good series of games.
--hits the poetry button--
She's my girl
Pearl white, slick and sexy
Never complains, always faithful
She cuts the air like a charging buffalo
In her arms, it's quiet
Her engine whispers to me:
"It's gonna be just fine"

http://www.jeffwoffo.../i76_poems.html

Edited by Nikoliy, 26 June 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#4 Brosef Stalin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

Interstate '76 was essentially a 3D update of Car Wars, using the same engine as MW2:Mercs, IIRC. It was great fun, with a lot of similar ideas:

Location based damage
Different attack types (flamers bypass armor, caltrops damaged tires when driven over, lock-on missles, etc)
Varying car classes with different firmpoints for weapons, top speeds, armor capacities, total weights, etc.

Unfortunately the multiplayer lacked variety, with only DM and TDM being offered. A CTF type match would've really let the different types of cars have more clearly defined roles. Still, the gameplay was fun and the you can still purchase the title from online digital retailers.

I have the Car Wars Compendium, 2nd Edition, and I'm surprised to see how much a used copy of it can command online. It's a shame SJ Games wont re-issue the old franchise, or even make it available via PDF. I manage to convince my local traditional gaming contingent to tear around in an arena every once in a blue-moon, and while the rules are a little too crunchy in some areas it's still plenty of fun.

I scaled the default turn-key up to Matchbox scale, broke out the green-stuff and some citadel paint to convert some regular off-the-shelf toy cars into suitable deathmachines. Much more awesome than the regular 1" cars.

Edited by Brosef Stalin, 26 June 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#5 fleshwoundNPG

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 303 posts
  • LocationGreencastle, Indiana USA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Posted Image

Just one of the many reasons I bought this car. It's a close as you can get to owning a '72 Picard Piranha ('70 Plymouth Barracuda).

"Watch that sh*t, cowboy..."

Posted Image

* 7.62mm machine guns not included

#6 Vashts1985

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

i loved interstate 76. id say its time for a reboot/kickstart, but activi$ion owns the rights =(

#7 Malikai Constant

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

I still have the Interstate 76 arsenal sitting on my desk, I loved that game!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users