Balance

12 replies to this topic

#1 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

Please, if you're getting you asses kicked by 12 man groups it's not a valid reason to call one or the other side OP. The reason you lose is because one side is better coordinated.

I've been defending Zion 3 times and we've won all 3 games, it was a murder for attacking side. On the other hand mariks lost Zion somehow and I've seen dozens of posts about attacking side actually using well coordinated attacks, sync ejects etc.

Join a unit, use teamwork, improve your dropping deck. CW is not for PUGs.

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:01 AM

Unless someone does the light rush to objective and snipe it exploit, defenders are definately a bit op.
OP is when somehtign is a lot stronger by default than something other. of course, when skill levels differ by grp vs puggers the reason for the outcom is somethign different. But I would say that in an even battle with both sides equally skilled the defenders will win 90% of the times.

Defenders have turrets
Their dropships drop right in the battle and have waeapons.
Their reinforcments due to this are right in the battle after a few seconds, making attakcing basically always an X vs 12 battle.
While attackers need to wait a long time for their reinforcement. Especially on sulfor.
They can wait for opps at the chokepoint (gates), which is like being first in tthe mordor caldera. Not even lrms's can fire over the gates when mechs stay in cover close to the gates. And so when a few mechs try to rush they are slawas outnumbered.

PGI could change some things.

Once a gate is open, attackers dropships drop the reinforcements for them closer, while the defenders droplocation should be pushed further backwards.

But yes you are right, pug vs grp is not judging the balance of the CW battle mechanics, because in that equation skill is too uneven unless one unit is really made only of pure scrubs..

mechanics favor the defenders to an heavy degree at all. So far that it is unbalanced tbh.

#3 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:07 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 12 December 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

Defenders have turrets
Their dropships drop right in the battle and have weapons.
Their reinforcments due to this are right in the battle after a few seconds, making attakcing basically always an X vs 12 battle.

mechanics favor the defenders to a heavy degree

Agreed.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:07 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 12 December 2014 - 01:40 AM, said:

Please, if you're getting you asses kicked by 12 man groups it's not a valid reason to call one or the other side OP. The reason you lose is because one side is better coordinated.

I've been defending Zion 3 times and we've won all 3 games, it was a murder for attacking side. On the other hand mariks lost Zion somehow and I've seen dozens of posts about attacking side actually using well coordinated attacks, sync ejects etc.

Join a unit, use teamwork, improve your dropping deck. CW is not for PUGs.

To be fair.

The defenders have a set of easily defended choke points. Powerful Turrets and the occasional dropship killing enemies. The base is pretty rough on attackers. I'm not complaining... I like it rough when battling. ;) B)

#5 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:10 AM

I can live with an edge to the defender, but it is too much at the moment. Maybe PGI could switch the defenders Dropships to a hangar without guns.

#6 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostDuvanor, on 12 December 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

I can live with an edge to the defender, but it is too much at the moment. Maybe PGI could switch the defenders Dropships to a hangar without guns.

if the guns don't have reach to the main objective and some 400m area around, defenders could even have a heavily gun defended hangar to prevent spawn camping. Also this would make a lot more sense to give them a hangar.

Edited by Lily from animove, 12 December 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#7 Hades Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 12 December 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

Unless someone does the light rush to objective and snipe it exploit, defenders are definately a bit op.
OP is when somehtign is a lot stronger by default than something other. of course, when skill levels differ by grp vs puggers the reason for the outcom is somethign different. But I would say that in an even battle with both sides equally skilled the defenders will win 90% of the times.

Defenders have turrets
Their dropships drop right in the battle and have waeapons.
While attackers need to wait a long time for their reinforcement. Especially on sulfor.
They can wait for opps at the chokepoint (gates), which is like being first in tthe mordor caldera. Not even lrms's can fire over the gates when mechs stay in cover close to the gates. And so when a few mechs try to rush they are slawas outnumbered.

PGI could change some things.

Once a gate is open, attackers dropships drop the reinforcements for them closer, while the defenders droplocation should be pushed further backwards.

But yes you are right, pug vs grp is not judging the balance of the CW battle mechanics, because in that equation skill is too uneven unless one unit is really made only of pure scrubs..

mechanics favor the defenders to an heavy degree at all. So far that it is unbalanced tbh.

your never heard of regrouping and pulling back to lure base defenders out?

#8 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostHades Trooper, on 12 December 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

your never heard of regrouping and pulling back to lure base defenders out?

Clever defenders won't get lured out. If so the skillgap is the issue, not defenders or attackers.
Further you only have 30 minutes time, you can not regroup that often on sulfur without getting into extreme time issues. And regrouping and pulling back in those maps means going into mostly open terrain, even more a nonsense idea.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:24 AM

Not for the defenders Lily. :lol:

#10 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:27 AM

Have you tried different tactics/drop decks as attackers? like blowing up the gates and turrets in first 2 drops with mediums, then make an all assault drop and finish with an all light, should be pretty overwhelming.

#11 SgtExo

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 12 December 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

Clever defenders won't get lured out. If so the skillgap is the issue, not defenders or attackers.
Further you only have 30 minutes time, you can not regroup that often on sulfur without getting into extreme time issues. And regrouping and pulling back in those maps means going into mostly open terrain, even more a nonsense idea.

Sulfur does need to have a bit longer time on it. I won an attacking match with 12 seconds on the clock because the rest of my team was chasing squirls except for 1 or two players. I would maybe give it 5 more minutes for sulfur, but boreal looks good on the time, tough I have only defended it.

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 12 December 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

Have you tried different tactics/drop decks as attackers? like blowing up the gates and turrets in first 2 drops with mediums, then make an all assault drop and finish with an all light, should be pretty overwhelming.

I planned my Drop the opposite. I started light and got heavier. Figuring that the enemy might be worn down enough for a slow purposeful final assault.

Didn't work as intended though. :lol:

#13 SgtExo

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 December 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

I planned my Drop the opposite. I started light and got heavier. Figuring that the enemy might be worn down enough for a slow purposeful final assault.

Didn't work as intended though. :lol:

I would go with heavier and slower mechs first, then have faster mechs to come and reinforce the people already fighting if they have not withdrawn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users