58 replies to this topic

#1 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

There has to be 50 canon Hero mechs just with the mechs in the game so far. Why invent a new one? does this mean PGI is going to be inventing totally new mechs too? What is the logic behind this, because I don't get it

#2 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Did you bother reading their explanation?

#3 Jeff K Notagoon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

PGI is so awesome they answered your question before you even asked it!

http://mwomercs.com/...22#entry1500322

#4 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

I suppose the first question for me would be why not?

Just because something exists doesn't preclude further expansion, Warhammer, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, the list of universes and worlds that have been expanded by creative people is endless. Granted sometimes better than others but essentially if it fits the game and the type of mech they want to highlight I don't have an issue with it.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...170-hero-mechs/

"Why make up hero mechs?" explained by the devs. Keep your eye on the Command Chair section.

#6 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

I love that we're getting new stuff. The Battletech universe is densely populated, but something fresh is... refreshing.

#7 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

View PostJeff K Notagoon, on 28 November 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

PGI is so awesome they answered your question before you even asked it!

http://mwomercs.com/...22#entry1500322

that doesn't answer my question at all. WHY do that? yes, alot of the canon hero mechs don't have variants that are significantly different than the regular variants. but alot of them do, so why not use those first?

just saying "this is what we're going to do" isn't an answer to "why are you doing that". also, it doesn't answer whether or not they're going to just wholesale invent new mechs either

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

View Postcache, on 28 November 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

Did you bother reading their explanation?

Does it matter their explanation? There are 3 custom variants and "[color=#000000]George Lytton's [/color]Lucky Thirteen". Is an actual Hero in the BattleTech universe. And proper to the timeline.

#9 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

There is an opportunity here for PGI to flex their creative muscles in a way that they have not really been able to yet in this project. The course they have plotted in the game adheres remarkably closely to battletech cannon (so they're just following in the footsteps of creators who have come before).

Original hero mechs give them an opportunity to make something well and truly new.

Additionally, there's only a handful of "hero" mechs on sarna. Haven't those few individuals in battletech lore gotten enough screen-time? I like the idea of MW:O fleshing out some of the less-notable (and less Mary-Sue'd) mechwarriors.

#10 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostJason1138, on 28 November 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

that doesn't answer my question at all. WHY do that? yes, alot of the canon hero mechs don't have variants that are significantly different than the regular variants. but alot of them do, so why not use those first?

just saying "this is what we're going to do" isn't an answer to "why are you doing that". also, it doesn't answer whether or not they're going to just wholesale invent new mechs either

Because they really aren't different, or heroic, so they add better ones that warrant the dollar tags.

#11 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

It's a very cool mech, and I'm looking forward to it, but hopefully the next one will be the AS7-D Atlas 'Danielle'. Three energy hardpoints per arm would be niiiiice. :P

#12 Jeff K Notagoon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

Yes, it does answer why.
-There actually aren’t a lot of legendary MechWarriors whose Mechs are fully statted out.
-Many of those Hero Mechs that do have record sheets aren’t significantly different from one of the standard variants.

#13 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

View PostPadic, on 28 November 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

There is an opportunity here for PGI to flex their creative muscles in a way that they have not really been able to yet in this project. The course they have plotted in the game adheres remarkably closely to battletech cannon (so they're just following in the footsteps of creators who have come before).

Original hero mechs give them an opportunity to make something well and truly new.

Additionally, there's only a handful of "hero" mechs on sarna. Haven't those few individuals in battletech lore gotten enough screen-time? I like the idea of MW:O fleshing out some of the less-notable (and less Mary-Sue'd) mechwarriors.

just a lie that there are only a "handful" of hero mechs on sarna. if they want to flex their creativity, why are they doing a BT game? why not make an all new mech game?

#14 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

Because they can.

#15 ValdnadHartagga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationBehind enemy lines

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

Not to mention the potential issue of licensing. I don't know what kind of rights to character names are included with the game rights, but canon heroes are in tabletop territory, which means Wizkids/Catalyst. For all we know, PGI could be paying extra to use the YLW name.

Edited by ValdnadHartagga, 28 November 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#16 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

yes, alot of the canon hero mechs don't have variants that are significantly different than the regular variants. but alot of them do, so why not use those first?

Name them.

#17 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

View PostJeff K Notagoon, on 28 November 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

Yes, it does answer why.
-There actually aren’t a lot of legendary MechWarriors whose Mechs are fully statted out.
-Many of those Hero Mechs that do have record sheets aren’t significantly different from one of the standard variants.

except that its a lie that there aren't "alot" of legendary mechwarriors whose mechs are fully statted out. and since we have 1 in the game so far, even if there weren't alot it doesn't mean that we're out of the ones there are. there are plenty still left even with the 10 mechs we have to work with

not to mention that the 1 hero mech we have now, the YLW, is not significantly different than the free variant they removed to make way for it, so why didn't they just start with all new ones from the get go?

#18 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 28 November 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

Does it matter their explanation? There are 3 custom variants and "[color=#000000]George Lytton's [/color]Lucky Thirteen". Is an actual Hero in the BattleTech universe. And proper to the timeline.

Add a second Davion hero before any other factions feel the love?

#19 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Amazing how people don't read things anymore. The simple fact they got the YLW in the game probably meant they had to pay a bit extra for the property of it. Honestly, you wont hear ******** about hero mechs from me. If there's some new lore being made about any kind of characters, paint me pleased!

#20 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

View PostValdnadHartagga, on 28 November 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Not to mention the potential issue of licensing. I don't know what kind of rights to character names are included with the game rights, but canon heroes are in tabletop territory, which means Wizkids/Catalyst. For all we know, PGI could be paying extra to use the YLW name.

that makes more sense than anything else i've heard so far

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users