#41 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostTezcatli, on 17 December 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

They pressured you into a faction. So what's the problem? They changed their mind?

No one "pressured" me.

I woke up one day, logged in and "bam", I'm suddenly Clan Ghost Bear on a 13 day contract.
I was not given the option to not join Clan Ghost Bear and instead leave the unit. In fact, I was barely given a notification that my faction had changed at all.

My previous faction was quite large, but as an Australian I couldn't often play with them and had no idea what faction they would choose, and had I known that they would be Clans (and that choosing a Unit faction forces it on everyone without warning) I might have left before CW launched to avoid such a situation.

CW was released early and in an unfinished state. No one was given enough time or information to understand the implications of choosing one faction or the other. I don't blame my previous unit or any player who accidentally joins a Unit or Faction without understanding how this works. The blame lies squarely on PGI's feet and how they have set up and handled this completely foreseeable situation.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 17 December 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#42 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

It does seem too rough and ready even for a beta. I actually want to try different factions out, because you know, it's a beta and I want to experiment, but I hardly want that to cost CBills. I had no idea breaking a contract would cost CBills. The waiting period is even worse. The implication is that if you break a contract you can't play CW for 2 days? That's literally outrageous. This game isn't good enough to get away with telling me to get lost for 2 days. If it already costs CBills to leave why the further punishment? It's like leaving a match early and having your 'mech being locked out for 2 days :P

I would also agree with the idea that if you leave or join a unit or if the unit leader makes any sort of decision such as switching factions or extending the length of the contract (if you can even do that) the player should be asked to confirm and so given the option to opt out.

For example if you join a unit the game should ask for confirmation: "Do you wish to join this unit? You will be put on a 2 week Davion contract with 9 days remaining.". My intended 7 day contract with Davion actually got extended to 14 days this way. Likewise if the unit leader switches contracts the next time a player logs on the game should ask "Your unit leader has switched to the Steiner faction. Do you wish to stay with the unit and accept this new contract?".

This really should happen to support larger units. A small unit will be OK because they'll likely to decide these things amongst themselves but larger units of more loosely affiliated players (which CW encourages and is a good thing) won't so much. I want the game to give me a chance to confirm these things rather than just being included without notification.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users