Why Make Me Choose?

85 replies to this topic

#1 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

I have to say, PGI, I'm pretty upset with one major aspect of Community Warfare. I don't like that I have to choose between a clan or a IS faction and that I am then limited to only using some of my mechs. I have hero mechs, phoenix mechs, and clan mechs. You took money from lots of people for both types of mechs, and then tell them that they can't use them all without a penalty?

That's bull.

You need to let people play all of their mechs if you are going to sell them for real world money.

#2 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:22 PM

Its a faction war...

you know... one team using ones teams stuff vs another team with another teams stuff...

Car racing doesnt allow a dodge to race on the Ferrari team or vice versa...

The US Olympic ski team woudnt have Irish nationals in it

Playing your shooter games, if you pick a US marine, you go on a USA team and not the Asian or Russian teams right?

In Warthunder I've bought planes and tanks, some with real world money from all 5 nations. But in some events like historical campaigns you HAVE to pick a country and only use those planes allowed. No one cries about that their. Whats so different here?

Its really NOT rocket science or a conspiracy. You still have Public games to play all the stuff you bought. Otherwise, tow the line, pick a team/faction/race/what ever else you want to view it as... and play it in CW.

Edited by Keira RAVEN McKenna, 12 December 2014 - 12:44 AM.

#3 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:24 PM

This isn't a real life sport. It's a video game. If people have paid for content, they should be allowed to use it.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

This is the Clan Invasion era; Clans vs IS is the crux of the current conflict.

You can play regular drops for mixed tech. It's a fallacy to say that you cannot use all of your mechs or that they 'need" to let you play both mech types at the same time. You can switch factions in CW and you can play regular drops.

Personally I wish they had made a system of multiple "identities" per account (like having horde and alliance on WoW) but that is not the system they went with. If we ever move beyond the Clan Invasion era maybe we'll see a lot more mixed tech, but dropping in mixed groups would really dilute the theme of VW.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 11 December 2014 - 11:25 PM.

#5 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

I'm glad they keep Inner Sphere seperate from Clan in Community Warfare, very specifically because I love the lore, and that is how it's supposed to be.

I do find myself in a similar situation to your own, where I've put a lot of money into this game, and own quite a few mechs of both IS and Clan origin.

The answer I'm hoping they add at some point to address this, is multiple "characters" or Pilots per account, with different faction alliegiances and different mech and gear assignments (then you could have 1 Clan and 1 IS pilot, or even 2 pilots for 2 different Great Houses or Clans if you prefer possibly?), or possibly the ability to merge two accounts and share equipment pools and stuff (though I don't know how Premium Time would work in that model).

All I know is, I too would love to pilot my Clan mechs in CW as well, but I really don't want them to throw the lore completely out the window by letting anyone pilot anything. Keep the factions seperate, as it should be.

#6 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

They have to do it.. whats the point otherwise? Just do 7 day contracts. one week play inner sphere, next week play clans.
Sure you get less of a loyalty bonus, but that's what you get for wanting to jump around.

#7 eblackthorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:25 PM

OP... are you serious? I just.. I can't even...

#8 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

If you are a mercenary just take short term contracts. Play IS one week and Clans the next. It makes no sense from a Lore perspective but it is a completely viable tactic with how CW is currently set up.

#9 Alymbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSpace Australia

I can see both sides of the argument here. Its just a shame they didn't put a disclaimer on the clan packages when you are at the checkout saying that "Are you sure you wish to purchase this pack? They may be locked from future content". The non-forum warriors amongst us didn't really see this coming.

#10 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

I'm not saying let me mix them in my dropship.

I'm saying not make me leave the group of people I've been playing with in order to ever use my clan mechs in CW.

#11 Re-type Pilot Name

Rookie

• The People's Hero
  • 5 posts

I dont think you understand what mechwarrior is...

#12 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

Nothing at all stopping you from using any of your stuff............in the non CW arena, or in CW after a week at a time in one faction. Dramalamadingdong.

#13 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

I am in a unit that has aligned with Davion. Up until now, this has not mattered.

However, now there is a new game mode, which requires me to use mechs I am aligned with.

Therefore, my options are to leave my unit and play whatever I want using the contracts,
or I can stay with my unit and never play my clan mechs.

This is bull.

I understand the lore and all that, but they should have made it matter BEFORE charging hundreds of dollars for packages or individual mechs.

Yes, I can use them in solo play, but I should be able to play them in CW without having to leave the group I've been with for over a year.

#14 Robot Kenshiro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:36 PM

I understand the money issue. You pay a lot of money and want to my use what you paid for. But in this instance you have to choose a side I guess. I have both IS and CLAN mechs and I play both of them. But as of CW I chose to use my IS mechs during a 14 day contract. After that I might switch to another faction. Don't forget about that. You aren't locked into any faction permanently unless you want to be. Give it a go and I assure you that you'll get to use both types of mechs if you just use short term contracts. I intend to just play every faction cos I want to so that I can run all my mechs and also enjoy what's happening with in CW in every aspect. Good and bad.

#15 Re-type Pilot Name

Rookie

• The People's Hero
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:37 PM

Think of it like this, You are trying to attack Pearl Harbor in a P-51 with a meatball on it...

#16 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:38 PM

We've known this for a while, not sure why it's a surprise.

#17 Alex Warden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSearching...

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:39 PM

View PostSkribs, on 11 December 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

This isn't a real life sport. It's a video game. If people have paid for content, they should be allowed to use it.

they are, in public matches... CW is all about FACTIONS... and it will stay this way... (hopefully)

also

View Postgregsolidus, on 11 December 2014 - 11:38 PM, said:

i made this clan account additionally to my Merc account the day the KFX came for CB... and i was prepared to do so 1 year ago :P

now i´m playing mercs with my unit, and when i´m bored i go solo as a wolf... easy as that ;)

Edited by Alex Warden Wolf, 11 December 2014 - 11:42 PM.

#18 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:42 PM

I understand the money issue. You pay a lot of money and want to my use what you paid for. But in this instance you have to choose a side I guess. I have both IS and CLAN mechs and I play both of them. But as of CW I chose to use my IS mechs during a 14 day contract. After that I might switch to another faction. Don't forget about that. You aren't locked into any faction permanently unless you want to be. Give it a go and I assure you that you'll get to use both types of mechs if you just use short term contracts. I intend to just play every faction cos I want to so that I can run all my mechs and also enjoy what's happening with in CW in every aspect. Good and bad.

You're missing the part of me being in a unit that is permanently alligned. I can't just switch contracts willy nilly without leaving said unit.

You're right. Between two jobs, real life, and actually playing the game, I should have looked on the forums at something that's coming out in the future to know that I wouldn't be able to use these mechs. It makes perfect sense.

If they didn't charge real money for mechs, I wouldn't have a problem. But I now feel like I've wasted plenty of real life money. As a paying customer, I should be allowed to complain.

#19 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:46 PM

they are, in public matches... CW is all about FACTIONS... and it will stay this way... (hopefully)

If you could get the rewards from CW in the public matches then it wouldn't matter as much. But there are more rewards available in CW, and I should be able to get a return for real life money spent. That's the point of the packages and the hero mechs that I got, after all, is the boost to income you get while piloting them. If I can't farm loyalty points in them, what's the point in having them?

I'm fine with being locked in for a week or so, but I don't like the fact that I would have to leave my unit to change.

i made this clan account additionally to my Merc account the day the KFX came for CB... and i was prepared to do so 1 year ago :P

Then what they should have done is limit you to one or the other, or allow you a sub-account for each type that you can swap in and out of.

If I'm playing World of Warcraft, which has 2 factions, I can make Alliance and Horde characters. I can only play my Alliance characters for the Alliance faction, and vice versa, but I can still play them. I also don't have to leave my guild to log in on an alliance character and do any end-game content with other faction members.

I should be able to play Clan mechs for the clans and IS mechs for the IS, without ever having to leave my unit.

#20 Alex Warden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSearching...

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:48 PM

they will make a timeline jump, don´t worry... that means clan mechs will eventually be usable by IS players when that happens... just not for now, because they want to reflect the initial CLAN INVASION (thats why it was called "invasion pack") as good as possible...

View PostSkribs, on 11 December 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

Then what they should have done is limit you to one or the other, or allow you a sub-account for each type that you can swap in and out of.

yea well, me and others have said that last year, multiple times... didn´t happen, now we have to live with it for now...

View PostSkribs, on 11 December 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

I should be able to play Clan mechs for the clans and IS mechs for the IS, without ever having to leave my unit.

ahm...no not really... the point of the whole CW concept is that units decide on which side they wanna fight... one unit for all is not exactly what this thing is about...

we are planning a subunit for the case that some of us wanna play as clans a bit...

Edited by Alex Warden Wolf, 11 December 2014 - 11:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users