Tutorial, Back Story?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Spectral Ceramite

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:15 AM

Sorry I have not followed the lore (as in not much knowledge, I played spacehulk or whatever was called and got into 40k (have read all books etc) in the 80s I think, was maybe early 90s).

I have played this game for a few months (think have 3k or so solo drops), I find it fun.

I was looking forward to CW and find it fun but there is no video explaining the Lore, how to navigate CW or even really mech history that I can find? How am I suppose to get mates interested if I have to show them the ins and outs of months of playtesting/research and picked up knowledge from watching streams, for basic aspects of the game?

In every other game I have played has given me the back story, from TT to Computer (In book form or a video), for this game I have nothing. I don't know what faction hates what?

The only research I have watched/seen is the first and only series of the cartoon.
However, if this is a serious franchise and is going to be a long term game, I would think would make tutorial for CW, video for the back story, and at least has more info on what faction is doing what in CW.

(I have played a few games in CW and is fun, but I just don't think I can get mates into it there is nothing supporting it???)

Just a plea, I like the game and what lore have figured out and I want it to succeed, just needs more.

#2 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:18 AM

http://www.sarna.net

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:20 AM

All your information can be found on classicbattletech.com.

#4 Spectral Ceramite

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:21 AM

View PostNextGame, on 13 December 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

I know but in any game just starting out, have you had to refer to another place for back story,tutorial or anything? No, the main parts are covered in the game, back story maybe from books or sites or other, but the main is in game. The other may not be the mainstream, but is there if need, there is no backbone for this game so far? Only thing I find crazy.

Edited for clarity

Edited by Wulf1666, 13 December 2014 - 04:23 AM.

#5 Pillgor

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:21 AM

Hi Wulf

I can only recommend sarna, cause if u wanted to read the extended lore u would be busy for a while. You can check the timeline mayor and minor Houses, BattleMechs and -Units.

So have fun.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:24 AM

View PostWulf1666, on 13 December 2014 - 04:21 AM, said:

I know but in any game just starting out, have you had to refer to another place for back story,tutorial or anything? No, the main parts are covered, back story is from books or sites or other. The other is not the mainstream, is still a back bone established, there is no backbone for this game so far? Only thing I find crazy.

True, but this information has been there for decades and could be linked to by PGI so they don't have to waste time/effort repeating what is already out there.

An Into video with a MechWarrior Cartoon style Intro could do fine, but there is plenty of info on the sites that are dedicated to this universe already.

#7 Spectral Ceramite

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:35 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 13 December 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

True, but this information has been there for decades and could be linked to by PGI so they don't have to waste time/effort repeating what is already out there.

An Into video with a MechWarrior Cartoon style Intro could do fine, but there is plenty of info on the sites that are dedicated to this universe already.

I totally understand that for some1 like me that is into the game or others who are familiar with the universe, but how am I to convince others to play this game?

For example, like most I want some of my RL mates to play this game with me. I have tried and their exact comments are: WTF we doing, why are we doing this and there is no real tutorial *** this lets go pigging :P , I suppose I am selfish but I also would like maybe a 5min clip explaining the current era, and a tutorial that leads off it.

Also a 1min tutorial that runs through CW all the acronyms etc would be advantageous.

Gunna add a EDIT:
Have you seen Dawn of War video clips? (What ever version) Even if don't know back story for 40k they are awesome and get you enthralled... That's what this game needs.

Edited by Wulf1666, 13 December 2014 - 04:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users