7 replies to this topic

#1 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

for myself.

I simply haven't participated. I kinda new when it dropped it was going to be buggy and there would be issues, so I am waiting, not getting wrapped up in it, and not worrying about it.

Seriously people, PGI technically has only had about 2.5 years to work on it, what did you expect?

OK...that was a joke, laugh a little for a change would ya?

At least it's here, and from what I've seen and read it actually has a lot more "content" than I expected it to based on past disappointments.

In the new found spirit of cooperation I'm not gonna get all bent out of shape about it, I'll give them a few weeks, a month maybe to start to iron out the wrinkles in the basics. If by then they are still buggy and another mech pack comes out first, then I will start to wonder just what they care about more.

I might do some drops with buddies this weekend just to experience what I've read for myself, but even then I'm not going to judge it just yet.

#2 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

Not getting bent out of shape = a good thing.

Getting all uppity because things aren't the way you like = childish.

Unless you have participated in a highly complex, very financially constrained software development project where your small development team is being pulled in several different directions, just keep your :
"Seriously people, PGI technically has only had about 2.5 years to work on it, what did you expect" crap to yourself.

Enjoy the beta or keep playing the death matches and keep your tongue out of your cheek.

Edited by nehebkau, 13 December 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#3 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

^ TElling someone what they can or can't have a opinion on is pretty uppity, and douchebagery. Take your own advice.

#4 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

No he's right. You can have your opinion, no one argues that, but you're a whiny little bi*ch if you do it in the way OP and like minded people do. It's been 2 days since CW release. 2 days. At least wait for a while to see how it will pan out before you complain

Its a free game. CW caters to a certain crowd. CW is in the beta. If you complain DESPITE these facts you probably grew up on participation trophies and if you cried loud enough you always got your way.

Go away, make your own forum and complain there. Leave the game alone.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 13 December 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#5 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

View Postlsp, on 13 December 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

^ TElling someone what they can or can't have a opinion on is pretty uppity, and douchebagery. Take your own advice.

Sometimes you just need to call people out. MWO is not a game where you should get a 'participation' medal for being a special little snowflake. Sometimes, the only way to achieve that is to be a bit of a ****. IMHO it is the worst type of disrespectful and rude behavior to slam the development team when we have no real understanding of the constraints they have been under. You want to slam the executives -- that's fine -- its why they get paid more.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

Leaving the more "meta" aspects of this aside:

If you're kind of sensitive about the whole thing, and not willing to push through bugginess, wait a month or so, or at least let them get a few hotfixes out.

With that said, CW is fun. A lot of fun. It's a whole new game, and battles play out in really unique ways that you'd never see in traditional matches. While the "light mech rush" game isn't a lot of fun, I'm sure things will be addressed with regards to that. It should be a viable strategy, but not quite as easy as it is right now.

Those 30 minute matches feel much, much more epic than the Good Ole 15 Minute Regular Matches, even if you don't care about the overall conquest aspect of it though it's even more fun when you do. Instead of just a random, unconnected match, you get a match to which the results actually do matter. You've got more Fun In The Mechlab (my favourite part of the game, IMHO): What mechs are you bringing in your drop deck? What is their roles? What loadouts do you take? What order are you dropping in?

And once you drop into a match, you know that every kill matters (a big plus, as respawn PvP greatly reduces that normally) but that killing 3-4 mechs in a push doesn't mean you've just won the game. It doesn't suddenly get easier, and matches regularly turn even after one side has a noteworthy lead, as teams remain at 12v12 for quite a while.

Finally, unlike regular matches where every match is Team Deathmatch, CW matches (in my experience) nearly never end as pure combat matches. The defender advantage means attackers must play smart to win. Unless they're vastly superior players/well organized vs. totally unorganized, the defenders have a very solid combat advantage. But because the attackers have a goal, an eminently attainable goal, some strategy can go a very long way.

CW is awesome, warts and all. Really awesome. It's a whole new game.

#7 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

It's going to be messy. I'm going to help PGI develop it by testing it for them. I don't expect clean. I imagine constructive feedback will help, bu I'll just give them my play data.

It is what it is, and in my own online game experience, often, polished =/= better.

#8 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

The whole point of releasing CW in the state that it's in, with the Beta tag and whatnot, is so that players can help shape the outcome while also giving PGI a far more broad-based and high volume user experience with which they can develop actual robust systems. The best way to make sure that things go well for you and for everyone is to participate as much as possible, while also posting advice and suggestions, constructively formatted.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users