I Love Cw But...

5 replies to this topic

#1 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 12:05 PM

Damage to turrets and generators should count to your total damage and not just give players a reward for the kill shot. This "might" get pugs to actually accept that objectives are more important when attacking.

The gates.... so many things with this part of the game mode that I think could have been implemented better. First off i think that there should be two ways to open the gates. Direct damage to the gate itself (taking much more to do but possible). If that was implemented then the terrain would have to be adjusted and some ramparts added so that the defenders could get up on some kind of wall to shoot back. The second method would be to blow the generator and then actually have mechs with hand acuators to stand near the gate (sort of a capture the flag style) to force the gates open (because gates without a generator should not be able to open imo). To make this make more sense generator should be hidden better and actually require some jump jet mechs to take some risks to blow it. It should be a bit squishier if this was done.

Sorry the current system while it works seems really odd to me. A - Why would you put your generator on a raised platform with a raised platform out side the gate so people could shoot it? B - why would you allow a group unimpeeded access to your gates? You should be shooting them as they approach the gates not when they get close and are allready working on blowing them.

The zerg rush, something I feared the moment wave 1 was launched and clanners had no way to counter the speed of IS. Once an attacking team breaches and manages to take down a few turrets a simple zerg rush of fast mechs can be used to get back and even with the limited firepower those mechs possess easily focus down the last generator. Heck I even managed to sneak a hellbringer back there once with 2 er mediums a LBx 20 two machine guns and three small pulse lasers and I took the thing down to half on my own before a shadowhawk got behind me and took me out. If he had nto been there watching I could have taken the generator out myself. I think that is too squishy.

Arty and Air strikes are in why not a consumable that allows you to place mines. Would be great on this game mode.

Thats it, do not mistake me I love this game mode. Far better than the endless skirmish matches that people play. However I would really like the gates to matter. At this point it seems like it is nothing more than a time sink. They are tough to defend with relatively minimal reward for defending them.

#2 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

Thinking outside of the box a bit... eliminate the gates entirely?

#3 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

I do agree that the attackers get pretty much a free pass at the gates except when they go up the little ramp to shoot at the generator for long range defenders to engage makes the gates seem kinda useless

maybe change the defender's spawn points so they can defend the approaches to the gate perhaps I think would be more interesting though it's really unfortunate that the Zerg rush is soo successful and is really the only viable strategy. It's quite rare seeing teams winning the battle of attrition and having enough time to get the generator as well

#4 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

I think the gates for the HPG station serve well as a tactical choke point and obstical if needed, without all of the fuss of banging them open in the first place. There have been games where in an attempt to destroy the enemy base, the game has seen good quality battles waged for these gates.

#5 Team Chevy86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:55 PM

I don't really understand the functionality of the gates... Like you said. There's no ramparts for us to get onto and shoot at them. I've found in the few defenses I've played we just hang out 300m away in the safety of our hills, let them breach a gate which we can't defend, then take pot shots at eachother until the attackers are brave enough to storm in
All of your suggestions are great. You can bet they're watching this forum like hawks :)

#6 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

Mine consumables would be nice, but would have to be careful on potency or people would lay down enough at the gates to blow a half dozen atlas up. They would be great as a surprise against the zerg runners, but I could see the potential for disaster with the built in choke points at the gate.

that could be avoided if they were destroyable though, through weapon fire.

I would like to see turret consumables also in that respect. Maybe a SRM6 turret, a ERLL turret, a twin MPL turret, maybe something different like a SL turret, but you get two instead of one then, etc. Would be a way to bolster defenses at the gate, or at the generator, or where ever down the road when they start pumping maps out like they say.

I just had a match defending on the winter map as a pug group vs a mix of clan wolf premade, 2 units. it was my 2nd match in 2 days. It was again, the most fun I have had on MWO I think just about ever. Too bad it takes a whole day to get lucky and land a match. maybe i should say, it takes staying up till midnight to get into a match when the 12 mans finally lose a few members and make room for me. Of all the issues with CW, some pretty minor, some a little more urgent, the gated content of CW for anyone outside of a 12 man is the biggest one. PGI, you need to figure out how to run more matches, and let smaller groups and solo pugs into the mix more often. Even if they form a group and you set matchmaker up so it wont pair an 8 man or larger with a pug or something. If players could get into a lobbey, see that they had a full team, and most importantly, see an enemy team fill so they know people are coming in(enemy would see the full defense team or attacking team) CW would be a huge success.

it isnt right now. it is the most fun ever on MWO, gated off to everyone but 12 mans. It sounds like an exageration, but it is not acceptable, in the slightest, to have wait times like there are now for small groups and solo players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users