6 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:56 PM

I think the current maps and their "forced" player shaping, is really hindering the dynamics of the game.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an open style map with "one base" on it. Simply, it would be better, because if would

1) Force Defensive Recon
2) Force movement and interception
3) Prevent Bum Rushes by means of Dispersing Units, or having the "FIELD of engagement" somewhere else then directly on top of the base.

4) Force division of units/ attackers

Basically there are better ways to approach the base defense then strait and narrow tunnel.
Good Examples are maps such as Tourmaline, and caustic valley.

1) Maps should be HUGE, to have significant time in between drop points and bases.
2) Multiple, "Midway objectives" Such as securing many different "midway drop drops" options, and the choice to choose which spawn point you anchor on, Would add much to the game.

3) Partial Victory conditions, such as securing 1 of many objectives, (destroy/ control) regain control, would make the game more then 1 dimensional get to the other side.

For example: Secure a point in a semi fortified enclosure, this could be a drop point or a strategic location, and other secure it to the end of the match to achieve partial victory or move on to other objectives to gain complete victory, however abandoning it leaves it able to flip back or such a thing.

Bottling up the defenders behind some artificial gate is frankly the stupidest gameplay decision ever.

Edited by ManDaisy, 13 December 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#2 The Dancing Joker

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

Relax... PGI just started CW. This game just got 500% more interesting with CW. The number of people playing and streaming on twitch has not been higher, as far as I am concerned.

#3 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

Throughout the day, some planets should receive "special events" either for the day or for an hour or two, which allows 4v4 or 8v8 on an old map and game mode.

I think it'd be really neat to bring the old maps and game modes into CW with a special twist on them like that, but still enable the use of dropships. Would be pretty fun! Those would be some long and strategic games.

I don't think 12 mans should have exclusive rights to the fastest drop times. It would be great to see support for smaller units, so they could seek out these special events and partake in CW in their own way with just as short wait times as 12 mans.

This would make all the "old" content relevant, it will give a fun new way to play (4v4, or 8v8), and it will give those smaller groups a chance to contribute to CW. Seeing support for smaller organized groups would be a really great thing to see. 12mans are great, but there's no reason we cant have meaningful smaller scale battles take place as well.

Also, there was some talk about PGI looking into a game mode that had one side defending a point, and the attackers had to claim that point, once they did, that became a new check point for them, and the defending team is spawned at a new checkpoint further back. I think the reference they used was Battlefield 4. I'm not sure what came of that.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 13 December 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#4 McQueen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 187 posts
  • LocationOff grid

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

Agreed. Planetary invasions don't need to be all base assaults. Mixing in some for the other maps would make it even better.

#5 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:23 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 December 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

Throughout the day, some planets should receive "special events" either for the day or for an hour or two, which allows 4v4 or 8v8 on an old map and game mode.

I think it'd be really neat to bring the old maps and game modes into CW with a special twist on them like that, but still enable the use of dropships. Would be pretty fun! Those would be some long and strategic games.

I don't think 12 mans should have exclusive rights to the fastest drop times. It would be great to see support for smaller units, so they could seek out these special events and partake in CW in their own way with just as short wait times as 12 mans.

This would make all the "old" content relevant, it will give a fun new way to play (4v4, or 8v8), and it will give those smaller groups a chance to contribute to CW. Seeing support for smaller organized groups would be a really great thing to see. 12mans are great, but there's no reason we cant have meaningful smaller scale battles take place as well.

Also, there was some talk about PGI looking into a game mode that had one side defending a point, and the attackers had to claim that point, once they did, that became a new check point for them, and the defending team is spawned at a new checkpoint further back. I think the reference they used was Battlefield 4. I'm not sure what came of that.

What you're describing sounds like War mode in CoD: World at War...there's one linear set of points and the battlefront gets pushed back and forth by both sides:

#6 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:30 PM

I like moon units idea with new twist. "Tug of war mode/american football mode" Players battle over who controls the respective 60% line. Defending drop point is captured, line spawn point moves back, attacking spawn point moves up and vice versa. Both players start at opposite ends and start the match sprinting for control of the farthest drop point, both trying to push into each others and secure the 60% line. Like football kickoff.

Edited by ManDaisy, 13 December 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#7 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:41 PM

I agree maps should be huge

Both map suffer from the same choke points 1 path rubbish

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users