108 replies to this topic

#101 BlakeAteIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostSalinor, on 17 January 2015 - 04:26 AM, said:

Not to interrupt, but how did this discussion get from why Liao is getting rekt to VSD and Devlin Stone?

Because the answer is we are a smaller faction, and a lot of people like the old queues. For some reason, the thread can't die, so a new topic is needed. None of the Liao threads are really on topic.

#102 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

View PostBlakeAteIt, on 03 January 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

Kai Liao was a good guy, but he was such a mary sue, I'm not sure he counts.

I left out Marik, but so did the BT canon, so whatever.

Kai Liao was invented when FASA realized they hadn't sold a single Liao Sourcebook.

Poor Marik loyalists waited for years, playing the terrible mechs they use, and how was their patience rewarded? The Jihad- an event that propelled Marik from obscurity to 'the guys that let WoB ruin the game'.

Edited by Davers, 23 January 2015 - 01:14 PM.

#103 Tasker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostFaith McCarron, on 26 December 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

Generally speaking, Davion are the space-good guys, the western values type that most North American players are going to exhibit a bias towards. Especially in the early days of the novels, Davion was portrayed as the good guys, hands down. If you read the Warrior Trilogy, it's full of proselytizing about how great Hanse Davion and the Fed Suns are because they stand by their people and encourage camaraderie, loyalty, and honor. Liao is painted as devious bumbling idiots, Kurita is painted as rigid and bloodthirsty, Marik is hardly mentioned at all, and Steiner serves as the people to whom the lesson of Davion greatness and justice is being taught. As a result, a majority of people flock to the Davion side when playing the game.

Kurita's popularity is easily explained by the Anime/Karate fanboy crowd, there is a significant niche crowd that has some oddly idealized version of Japan. These are the ones who watch all kinds of anime, took Japanese in high school, study martial arts, and bought a Japanese sword set from the Home Shopping Channel to mount on their wall. They pretend to like sushi, and are often Nintendo fanboys as well.

Then when the clans came along, they drew in the power gamers, the ones who wanted the best min maxed advantage they could field all the time.

Bitter space commies. Ha ha. Very funny. Guess that why they call you House Lmao.

#104 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

I am no Anime Fan - but i like to play Japan in games since "Nobunagas Ambition" and "Sword of the Samurai" - though i play Egypt in Civ.
Do we have Battltech Egypts?
Maybe should seize some Peripherie-Worlds and proclaim myself "Pharao".
Oh well.....CW does not let you do that...

PS: I am a Merc stranded in Kuritan Space...

Edited by Thorqemada, 23 January 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#105 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 23 January 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

PS: I am a Merc stranded in Kuritan Space...

The Confederation is ready to embrace all Kuritan refugees. Your sense of honor is aligned with our own.

In other news, compared to half the IS we're not getting "rektd" at all :D

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 23 January 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#106 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

I've been scouting out the Innersphere in search of a temporary home away from Rasalhague and the hectic clan border,

and when I look at Liao, it seems you've won the past ten border disputes with Davion without any losses at all. Well played, Green Arm, well played.

Now why should I come play for you guys instead of Purple Bird? Posted Image

#107 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

We're more slapdash than House Marik, but as a member of either House, you're friends of ours.

We -do- pay better than Marik does, owing to our smaller size. And if you like stomping Fedrats, why we're the best House around! We specialize in Rat removal, even if they decide to take a contract with Marik and try and break our ceasefire. Rats painted purple are still rats, after all!

Posted Image

#108 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:56 AM

View PostDavers, on 23 January 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

Poor Marik loyalists waited for years, playing the terrible mechs they use, and how was their patience rewarded? The Jihad- an event that propelled Marik from obscurity to 'the guys that let WoB ruin the game'.

Hey, Marik got the most pages in "Brush Wars". ;)

#109 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users