This Game Doesn't Need Voip

59 replies to this topic

#41 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

one thing ive always said about team speak and the like "if i wanted to hear an arse hole

i'll fart"

Edited by badaa, 15 December 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#42 Rick Rawlings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 15 December 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

So for anyone still doubting the technology... on my Samsung phone (which is yesterday's news now and is not awesome) I can dictate to it telling it to open apps or dictate text messages to it with a 99.9% success rate.

It's not even a question of doubting the technology...you've gone a step too far. Say what the plan is and we're good. Translate it into text and now I am squinting at text on the side of the screen instead of operating my mech. There's really nothing to say that makes that more effective than VOIP. (Ok, deafness, so conceded...) If you are really that worried about hearing...well, whatever you are worried about hearing, turn the whole thing off and follow your few brave teammates who have the sand to hear voices on the internet and profit...

#43 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

I think it's funny that spiffy wants to be able to communicate with his team, but is simultaneously certain that he would have to mute all of them, because he is sure they will all be screaming constantly.

I've actually developed speech recognition systems myself. The current state of the at has come a long way, but i wouldn't recommend it for this. First, you will have a slight delay during recognition, while not beginning the real recognition process until the transmission is complete, due to the way the Markov models are used to recognize the words.

Beyond that, within the context of a scenario like mechwarrior, you would generally want a customized speech recognition model, since you would generally have a lot less user based context than you have with something like Google now's system.

And ultimately, such a system would be foolhardy, because the problem is far more easily and eloquently solved by a simple voip system, which doesn't really require anything complex at all to implement. I mean, Christ, i implemented a voip system that allowed users to communicate efficiently over multiple radio channels, and also did speech recognition on those transmissions so that autonomous entities could communicate and collaborate with human users. That's something that i personally actually made.

A simple voip system is not rocket science.

#44 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:46 PM

As I have said in other threads. If you are anti-VOIP, then you are are a bad team player. Every in game VOIP I have ever seen has an easy to use mute feature so the jerks of the world cannot ruin your day. You can say you are a team player that is against VOIP but you just are not. Even if you don't want to talk, you can still benefit from the situational awareness of others who will talk and call out enemy positions and movements. And the only reason anyone ever has to be anti-VOIP is that they don't want to listen to jerks on the chat. That's a weak argument unless you have a tough time operating a mute button.

#45 xxREVxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:03 PM

View PostRoland, on 15 December 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

Beyond that, within the context of a scenario like mechwarrior, you would generally want a customized speech recognition model, since you would generally have a lot less user based context than you have with something like Google now's system.

We have a lot of terms/words that would not be recognized. I just used the talk to text in my phone and said "thunderwub", it came up on the phone as "underworld"....which was a great movie ;)

#46 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:27 AM

So here is the thing, if I'm in the middle of a fire fight I am NOT reading text...

Yes I have missed some important info that way.

#47 Jonny Taco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 706 posts
  • Locationan island

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:24 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 14 December 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

I might argue that listening to children, people belching, drunk idiots and control-freaks is even harder.

Then how about include a mute button? OH WOW SO HARD!

But lets rather prevent anyone from benefiting from voip because of a minority of ass wipes...

Edited by lartfor, 24 December 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#48 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostVixNix, on 24 December 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

So here is the thing, if I'm in the middle of a fire fight I am NOT reading text...

Yes I have missed some important info that way.

Speech to text would be fine, but only after the chat interface has been revamped.

Yes, things can be missed in a chat screen for a split second but it can be improved if it was adjustable and stayed open/visible, then that quick turn of your head as you answered the question of a loved/hated one does not spell disaster, or if you have a temporary moment of tunnel vision.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 December 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#49 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

I used to think VOIP would be good for this game...but I came to the decision that its detractors are right; there's way too many annoying people out there.

So, unless they implement it with the ability to quickly and easily ...and permanently mute individual players, having it would be more of a hindrance than an asset.

I'd prefer to see a speech to text feature...and have looked into setting up a 3rd party solution in the past, but with no luck.

So, yeah...It'd be awesome if MWO had native support for speech to text.

#50 Furious Zen Master

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:07 AM

Do you know how you have those nice tickboxes in the game options that say things like "All Chat" "Team Chat" "Arm Lock" etc? You know, the ones that you set once and forget about?
Now, imagine a revolutionary concept, a tickbox saying "Voice Chat" that you can toggle on and off.
Surely, you are grown men and it has occured to you that this is possible, so i can only assume you oppose it only because it would give small groups a better fighting chance.

#51 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostMajor Tryhard, on 24 December 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

Do you know how you have those nice tickboxes in the game options that say things like "All Chat" "Team Chat" "Arm Lock" etc? You know, the ones that you set once and forget about?
Now, imagine a revolutionary concept, a tickbox saying "Voice Chat" that you can toggle on and off.
Surely, you are grown men and it has occured to you that this is possible, so i can only assume you oppose it only because it would give small groups a better fighting chance.

GIVE THIS GUY A MEDAL,...
and a Cookie,

jokes aside,
ya there are thousands of ways your could stop VOIP Abuse,
Mute button, VOIP toggle, add a Push to Speak,

#52 Procale

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

Nope, I'm against it because I know how much it would be abused by people trolling or raging while taking up my bandwidth. If it lets me permanently set it to off and not take bandwidth then i'd be fine with it.

Edited by Procale, 24 December 2014 - 10:17 AM.

#53 Furious Zen Master

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostProcale, on 24 December 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

Nope, I'm against it because I know how much it would be abused by people trolling or raging while taking up my bandwidth. If it lets me permanently set it to off and not take bandwidth then i'd be fine with it.

That's exaclty what i said, so where is the need for all the "nay" posts?

#54 Procale

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostMajor Tryhard, on 24 December 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

That's exaclty what i said, so where is the need for all the "nay" posts?

It's not exactly what you said, you didn't mention bandwidth usage and you tried to end it with a poorly thought out assumption in the last line. By the way, I'm in a small group.

To make the bandwidth part clear before people start talking about other services like TeamSpeak taking up bandwidth. I am referring to not only my own general bandwidth but in particular the connection to the MWO server which already is plagued by lag without VoIP. I don't want part of that bandwidth to be taken away for a non-essential service and further cause lag between the game server and my client

Edited by Procale, 24 December 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#55 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

Bottom line is that this game needs something to increase the communication within teams for pug players. weather its VOIP or a command rose of some kind its needed urgently now more than ever.
Personally i'd like to have both, command rose for those who dont want to vocally communicate and voip for those that do.
It is absolutely vital that any kind of voip have an easy to access mute function imo

#56 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

View Postdarkkterror, on 14 December 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

Reading is too hard.

Reading is rather inconvenient mid battle. It's easier to respond to commands or acknowledge a "x spotted in A1" when you hear it first.

Of course, PGI would need to develope a lexicon for it.
You know, so we don't hear "urrr p. p. c."

#57 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

I find that even typing an order AND saying it twice on coms usually gets me at least one or two wingmen who clearly didn't read or listen either saying or doing something contrary within 20 seconds of whatever the order was.

I would prefer voice to shock collar.

#58 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

I misread the post as "text to speech", which would instantly turn MWO into moonbase alpha with 'mechs. :lol:

#59 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 14 December 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

It needs speech to text.

Do you pay in groups on team speak? If so you are full of it.

Speech to text is a nice tool to have to get around language barriers, however nothing beats direct voice communication.

#60 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 14 December 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

I might argue that listening to children, people belching, drunk idiots and control-freaks is even harder.

Good thing a mute button is easily to implement.

VOIP, now.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users