44 replies to this topic

#1 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

My team has informed me that jumping on the back of the cannon in CW on that shelf is a ban able exploit.

Is this true? if so can you send me a link to where PGI has instructed not to do this.

I can't believe that this would be considered an exploit. It's not like I'm breaking the map and falling behind or under something. I'm just standing on a ledge that is purely part of the geometry of the turret.

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

sad having to explain people what an exploit is.

exploit is abusing an mechanic that was not meant to be and relies mostly on somethign bugged.

if someone thinks that an position where you are invinceable and able to take out the main objective is not an exploit, WOW, Common sense?

The zerg rush is already aborderline thing, yet not a bug, more a non in account taken feature when testing the CW. But fine the way it is, and probably will somehow get fixed.

Edited by Lily from animove, 14 December 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#3 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 14 December 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

sad having to explain people what an exploit is.

exploit is abusing an mechanic that was not meant to be and relies mostly on somethign bugged.

if someone thinks that an position where you are invinceable and able to take out the main objective is not an exploit, WOW, Common sense?

No, no - it's "skill" and anyone who disagrees is a "whiny sore loser" - or so I've been told.

That being said, it does seem silly to ban people from Beta CW. Part of the point is to find bugs and prove that they are a problem, so while winning this way is laughably lame, showing that the problem exists and reporting it is really what this is all about at this point.

#4 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

You can be taken out... I've been shot there before. It's an advantageous position but not an invincible one

And how is it bugged? There's no wall there to prevent a jump sniper from tossing my salad. It's not like I'm hiding between 2 walls and sniping from a position only I can see.

Now please advise me where PGI has stated that JJ'ing onto the back of a cannon is banable.

#5 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

You won't find a post specifically telling you its an exploit because they dropped this game mode on us, did some adjustments to playability, then went home for the weekend. As far as you getting into trouble for it, I doubt it. I just wouldn't count on it working for very much longer.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostKell Morgan, on 14 December 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

My team has informed me that jumping on the back of the cannon in CW on that shelf is a ban able exploit.

Is this true? if so can you send me a link to where PGI has instructed not to do this.

I can't believe that this would be considered an exploit. It's not like I'm breaking the map and falling behind or under something. I'm just standing on a ledge that is purely part of the geometry of the turret.

You were told a lie. PGI has not made any statements as far as I know. This is a beta and anything goes for testing purposes.

View Postoldradagast, on 14 December 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

No, no - it's "skill" and anyone who disagrees is a "whiny sore loser" - or so I've been told.

The "skill" kudos can arguably be given to the player who first thought of it. Everyone else can arguably be considered a copycat.

That being said, it does seem silly to ban people from Beta CW. Part of the point is to find bugs and prove that they are a problem, so while winning this way is laughably lame, showing that the problem exists and reporting it is really what this is all about at this point.

That's a much better response.

#7 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

it seems silly to ban someone for jumping on the back of the cannon. It's like saying you're being banned for jumping on the Citadel and sniping.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostKell Morgan, on 14 December 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

it seems silly to ban someone for jumping on the back of the cannon. It's like saying you're being banned for jumping on the Citadel and sniping.

Precisely.

Besides, during the only time I did it, I was role playing a desperate suicide bomber ( :ph34r:). I've also seen others do the same.

Edited by Mystere, 14 December 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#9 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

What's stopping you from jumping after enemy anyways?

#10 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

Nothing. Its a great spot until a jump sniper comes to mess up your day.

#11 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

Best example of an exploit..........knowing that HSR is easily confused by "bunny hopping" in jump jet mechs...........and running across an open area (nothing to jump up on, no reason to use jump jets) and hopping every second or two JUST TO CONFUSE HSR.

That is an exploit.

Using "meta" is not an exploit so much as it is finding a poorly designed game mechanic (not a broken game mechanic like HSR) and taking advantage of it............PPC/Gauss, the old Pop Tart meta etc........

#12 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:53 PM

finding a bug once, repeatedly using it is not findign a bug anymore, you don't need to find the same bug 20x in a row.

View Postkapusta11, on 14 December 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

What's stopping you from jumping after enemy anyways?

pitch angle? the position is unblanced enough to actually exploit the situation in terms of unfair and not meant to be advantage..

Edited by Lily from animove, 14 December 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#13 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 14 December 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

finding a bug once, repeatedly using it is not findign a bug anymore, you don't need to find the same bug 20x in a row.

pitch angle?

There is no bug. It's just a place on the map you can jump. You're not breaking anything on in an unintended part of the map. It's just like sitting on top of the citidel. You're not phasing thru walls or nothing.

Absolutely nothing stops you from jumping up and killing me. A Jager has killed me up there before. I don't see this as an exploit, just an advantages position.

#14 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

View PostKell Morgan, on 14 December 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

There is no bug. It's just a place on the map you can jump. You're not breaking anything on in an unintended part of the map. It's just like sitting on top of the citidel. You're not phasing thru walls or nothing.

Absolutely nothing stops you from jumping up and killing me. A Jager has killed me up there before. I don't see this as an exploit, just an advantages position.

wow, yes and I bet this was not intended to be, but again as usual, there are always people who try to exlain others that an exploit is not an exploit, because they seem to need that.

#15 pinsndneedles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAlegro

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

Arty doesn't damage the generator, so throw an arty up at the little cubby hole. I know I've died many times to that, or to an enemy just shooting me in the face since you can't totally hide up there.

#16 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

An exploit would be something that I could do to keep you from hitting me. (If anything running a spider is an exploit.) Tell me why you think this is an exploit, and how it is unintended.

Tell me how you think its a bug and any different than sniping from the citadel.

Also link me to a post where PGI has stated that this is a bug and ban able.

#17 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

Maybe you want to write to Russ and ask him this Question, because this is Beta, and only he, maybe knows how this Position was meant to be used, or not to be used. :unsure:

But i am sure, because of Beta, its not bannable.

Edited by Revorn, 14 December 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#18 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostKell Morgan, on 14 December 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

An exploit would be something that I could do to keep you from hitting me. (If anything running a spider is an exploit.) Tell me why you think this is an exploit, and how it is unintended.

Tell me how you think its a bug and any different than sniping from the citadel.

Also link me to a post where PGI has stated that this is a bug and ban able.

typical answer of an exploiter.

the top of the citadell does not grant you a win, poeple could just go away and avoid you. because you also have to kill, gather ressources or cap a base.

lets just wait and see what they do, and if that holde behind the generator will be fixed, then you have your answer.

#19 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:52 PM

So, would it be an exploit if a defender stood up there?

I am guessing not.

Just like there are areas outside the gate that can hit the gate generators without any possible return fire. Seems the Omega turret as the same set up but with the possibility of receiving fire.

It is not a guaranteed win.

#20 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

I'd say it's just like the zerg rush, not an exploit but maybe a design flaw that should be adressed.

In neither case should you blame the player. This is beta testing, we should all be trying to break the game as much as we can so that problems are apparent to PGI. Preferably this breaking should be done by both doing it and reporting honestly about it at the same time.

JJ animations are perhaps an exploit, but they still fall under the category of things that need to be exploited so that the problem proves big enough to warrant a fix. I do hope it gets fixed, therefore i will use it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users