15 replies to this topic

#1 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

With all the talk of community warfare coming up I want to get involved with Clan Wolf for the invasion.

I have only PUG'd up until this point and have received various unit invites but have always declined them because they were from some other faction. I see that we have different units within Clan Wolf here but they all have various requirements and I don't think I can meet one of them at this time: third party voice chat programs. Without getting into too much detail about why they irritate me is this going to be a barrier for joining a Clan Wolf unit?

I wouldn't see anything else as a barrier and would actually enjoy being able to participate in private games finally and would welcome trials or zellbrigen matches.

#2 Fantastic Ergo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 242 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWolf City, Arc-Royale

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:42 AM

Hello Kain Thul

I am a member of the Golden Keshik a unit who will be reprecenting Clan Wolf in CW. My opinion is that it is a must to have communications going with your teammates in order to play effectively. Otherwise is the same as PUGGING. Teams tend to have a drop caller and they also communicate recon information, it is a different style of playing once you are with a team, for me this makes the game a lot more fun and enjoyable. It also lets you get to know your teammates well. I am not sure why it irritates you, may be you should find a more mature group than the ones you may have tried before, not sure. But I would recommend you to give it another try. Playing in a team with good teamwork is going to be a much better experience, at least try it.
Best of luck,

F.E.

Edited by Fantastic Ergo, 01 October 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#3 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

We tried a member who was not a voice comms person...(still unsure as to why)...ultimately it just does not work as well as you might think. Sometimes the flow of battle is fast and calls are made and followed quickly and not being able to hear them leads to frustration on both ends. The group becomes frustrated because an integral piece is out of touch, and the player becomes frustrated because the group is unable to communicate quickly through text comms in game.

What are your reservations about voice comms?

Edited by Gyrok, 01 October 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#4 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostGyrok, on 01 October 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

We tried a member who was not a voice comms person...(still unsure as to why)...ultimately it just does not work as well as you might think. Sometimes the flow of battle is fast and calls are made and followed quickly and not being able to hear them leads to frustration on both ends. The group becomes frustrated because an integral piece is out of touch, and the player becomes frustrated because the group is unable to communicate quickly through text comms in game.

What are your reservations about voice comms?

A few--mostly the fact that they necessitate the use of a headset (so as not to irritate the rest of my family) which then irritates people who are trying to get my attention away from the controls. Also I assume people are playing "open mic" so you don't have to push to talk which has always bothered me. LIstening to 3-5 heavy breathers or dogs barking in the background or various other things don't help immersion.

#5 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 01 October 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

LIstening to 3-5 heavy breathers or dogs barking in the background or various other things don't help immersion.

We usually always use push to talk, but i cannot talk for the others.

#6 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

A few--mostly the fact that they necessitate the use of a headset (so as not to irritate the rest of my family) which then irritates people who are trying to get my attention away from the controls. Also I assume people are playing "open mic" so you don't have to push to talk which has always bothered me. LIstening to 3-5 heavy breathers or dogs barking in the background or various other things don't help immersion.

I used to have many reservations about voice chat, but that was years ago and in looking back I feel like I was quite silly. If voice chat = Hanging out with friends, then that's all that really matters. It's fun, effective, and almost certainly going to be a requirement in units.

#7 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

Sometimes people end up with a hot mic, in which case it's easy to temporarily mute them. Aside from that, there isn't really any issues with voice chat.

Another possibility is having a headset just so you can listen in. Most often used when players can't talk because their family is sleeping, but they're still able to hear targets being called, and where to go.

The worst is when a player is strictly text, because even if a player is really good, not being able to hear targets being called is a big disadvantage to the team.

If you're looking to play competitively, most competitive teams are all about minimizing every possible disadvantage by running the most efficient builds, using the most efficient tactics, etc. A player without any voice comms, no matter how good they may be, will not be able to operate at 100% of their full potential, which means the team cannot operate to 100% of their full potential, and thus, if you're looking for competitive play, don't be surprised if many units deny you solely because you don't use voice comms.

#8 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

Having played many games that require close communication most of them require voice communication to really work. They also do not use hot mike, rather they use push to talk since heavy breathing seems to bother abour 99.9% of players (Me included). There are some single ear headsets out there for those of use who have families and need to divide our attention at all times. That said pugging without voice is not as enjoyable as fighting with a cohesive group that you can communicate with at the push of a button.

#9 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:38 AM

Actually, we pretty forcefully recommend push to talk, though we really do not get any pushback on it anyway. As for checking out units come try us out, you might fit... www.cwdg.us

Edited by Gyrok, 02 October 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#10 Mako408

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

Honestly in Kappa, we tried the whole "You don't need a mic thing" and well, it didn't work out well.

If you are really interested in joining a unit, then you need a mic for comms, if you don't want to communicate using a mic, then PUGGING is the way to go.

If you do want to try and just do some drops with us visit us CWKG.enjinvoice.com

Mako

#11 bane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:37 AM

So far, PGI has said that solo players will be able to be part of CW. So, whether you are in a group or not, you should be able to participate. That said, it is always nicer to know you have a group of people to play with. Most groups, as you can see above, are going to heavily encourage the use of comms, if only to listen, since it is much faster then having to type out commands(and most of them really don't want to waste time typing when they can be shooting). You could probably even get away with a simple earphone, like from an iPhone, that doesn't require wearing a headset but allows you to listen in without having to talk back.

There are quite a few casual groups recruiting, but they don't necessary stick to the Lore based parts of being a Clanner. For the things like a Trial of Position or Bloodnames, you are probably looking at some of the bigger groups. They also tend to accept casual players but will reserve drop slots for their more competitive groups if they are on.

#12 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

If you want to join a team, then you have to communicate to be an integral contributor to the team. Voice comms do that. Please Visit www.team-sf.com and using Teamspeak software you can self-register and join us as a public guest and sample how we conduct ourselves. Either Push to talk or self mute is required, keeping language to a PG rating is required on our server. We are not quite Seraphim(zero tolerance) but we do try to keep blue language to a minimum. It makes the server more friendly.

Cheers,
Lynx

#13 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

The headset/Mic that comes with Dragon naturally speaking is perfect for the family man that doesn't want to disturb his family but wants to be able to communicate with his team.

#14 Rotten Bones

• Pip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

Teamspeak shouldn't be a precondition to have a kick ass Wolf experience. The problem is, I believe most roleplaying units have it as a pretty strict requirement and casual units that don't force their members to use TS if they don't want to tend not to be as into roleplaying as you might be, if trials and zellbrigen matches are your thing.

I think I've seen you in a few PUG matches come to think of it. Good luck with your search, I don't doubt that eventually you'll find something that works for you!

#15 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostRotten Bones, on 22 December 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Teamspeak shouldn't be a precondition to have a kick ass Wolf experience. The problem is, I believe most roleplaying units have it as a pretty strict requirement and casual units that don't force their members to use TS if they don't want to tend not to be as into roleplaying as you might be, if trials and zellbrigen matches are your thing.

I think I've seen you in a few PUG matches come to think of it. Good luck with your search, I don't doubt that eventually you'll find something that works for you!

Hopefully you saw me in good matches and not embarassing ones.

Well I ended up accepting Gyrok's offer. Delta Galaxy is good people.

#16 Rotten Bones

• Pip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

I don't remember any donkeys named Kain Thul, so I think you did okay :P

I dropped a couple of times with some CWDG guys before community warfare hit, glad you ended up with them. They're good fellas to drop with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users