Zerg Rush A Problem? Reduce Cw To 8-Mans

7 replies to this topic

#1 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:01 AM

Sweet, easy, short, simple; I think we can all agree, at least on the hot-yellow-cheese map, zerg rushing is clearly the go-to tactic for the attackers, and very difficult to stop as the defenders.

On the artic map, it's more the opposite: fighting head-on (usually at range) against enemy mechs is the way to play, and the defender hands down has the advantage (so long as everyone knows to lineup on the ridges, that is).

As far as I can tell, the most direct and simple solution would be to limit CW to 8 mechs per side.

It would solve issues for both maps:
- Zerg rushes are alot harder to pull off with only 8 mechs
- Ridge camping is a lot harder to pull off (and successfully block an enemy team completely) with only 8 mechs

Plus, it could help with the matchmaker taking so long.

I know that everyone's getting used to 12 mans for quite some time now, but the way I see it, CW would be alot more fun, easier to get into, fluid, and less centered around zerg-type tactics.

Discuss!

#2 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:05 AM

Even such zergs can be repelled, proper positioning and tactics make it manageable. With poor tactics your 8-man would get slaughtered even faster than 12-man so getting in shape is what unit has to do regardless of circumstances.

Compared to what you suggest, limiting your drop decks to 2 mechs of the same category at max would go a long way.

#3 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

From other threads:

View PostMystere, on 14 December 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

I do not think PGI should do anything about the zerg rush, at this point in time anyway.

What I do think is that players should spend more time and effort using their gray matter in figuring out how to counter it. For crying out loud, this is supposed to be a "thinking person's shooter". Players better act like it really is.

View PostMystere, on 14 December 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

Or defenders need to come up with a tactic that nullifies the zerg.

Asking PGI to constantly make things easier for someone is the worst approach. It should be the last possible option and obviously should never be done only 4 days after release.

Force people to use their grey matter. Of course, if they have none ...

Edited by Mystere, 15 December 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#4 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:08 AM

View PostMystere, on 15 December 2014 - 12:06 AM, said:

From another thread:

This isn't a thinking man's shooter, and never was. It's TDM with giant robots.

#5 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:12 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 December 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

This isn't a thinking man's shooter, and never was. It's TDM with giant robots.

Hence the "supposed to be" part. Besides, someone has to keep the impossible dream alive.

Posted Image

#6 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:21 AM

Sweet, easy short answer.

NO

#7 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:41 AM

I don't agree with tactics being a cure-all solution...purely for the fact that you can't instantly kill a given mech (not without lots of intense focus-fire, at least, and even that can take up 10-30 seconds under optimal circumstances).

If you send a team of 10 medium/heavies all with SRM/MLbarf loadouts, with 2 other mechs serving as distractions, and successfully make a push to the base, even if the defending team can react properly and shoot and everything, odds are 3-4 attackers at least will make it to the back of the gun relatively unscathed, and be able to bring down the gun's health at least by a third before dying.

Multiply this by 3 waves, and you get an attacker victory every time, with a 4th wave available in case something screws up.

If you try that with only 8 mechs, I don't see it being such a sure success - maybe 1-2 attackers might make it, and won't be able to do enough damage per wave to make it a repeatable, viable tactic.

Possibly, making more dropdeck limitations could make it slightly more difficult, but I don't see how it would really fix anything. You can turn just about any chassi into a zergboat, especially easy for clanners.

Edited by Telmasa, 15 December 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#8 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:53 AM

I will add, the zerg tactic is fully viable, I have no complaints about it.

The problem is that when that becomes the meta, it skirts most of the heavy fighting that is so crucial, by comparison, on the Arctic map. That heavy fighting is, by FAR, what gives us the most points for experience, c-bills, and loyalty points.

So when the meta on the yellow-cheese map becomes minimal-fighting zerg-rush tactics, each fight becomes far less rewarding in the most tangible sense.

Edited by Telmasa, 15 December 2014 - 12:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users