10 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzbandit1313

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

I've been hearing a lot of complaints from teamates when I play my ER-LL lights on defense that I don't "help the team out" or "do any damage". What I don't understand is how they can say that after seeing my score. Earlier today I got this beauty of a first "life"
Posted Image
After this, I proceeded to drop in my Zoidberg and quickly dispatch a jager with a 250 M headshot (just FYI)

My point here is that lights, even "*****-tier" ERLL sniping mechs, can do sooo much for either side of the fight, and using one isn't taking away from your team's performance. Other light mechs to be feared during invasion are the Leg-eating SPLS FS9 and anything over 135 KPH with a NARC. Don't discredit us because we are small! With the correct amount of distraction from your teamates and and the right positioning, a couple of ERLL can rip open side torsos and leg mechs from a *mostly safe distance for a sustained amount of time.

*I say mostly because my demise was a dual ER peep shot to the CT. R.I.P. in squak swet prinse.

Edited by Jazzbandit1313, 15 December 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#2 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

The issue isn't that ERLL lights can't contribute to defending with high damage scores, it is that they deal out damage so much more slowly than a larger mech. Yes, you got 1083 damage in a light mech but that is after 13:24 in battle. It might be more useful if you brought a larger mech that was capable of dealing 1083 in 6 or 8 minutes instead.

It really comes down to having the right tool for the situation though. If the enemy force is outside the gate and poking at long range, an ERLL light mech makes a great harasser. If the enemy team is pushing through the gate aggressively toward your objective, it might be a good idea to get a bigger mech that can dish out damage more quickly.

#3 Koda Shy

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationTriPoint-Kapenja

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

or maybe if........you could tell before you dropped, (that really needs to be shown some where). which side you were on before you dropped you could take a heavier first drop, and take the light later.

plus if you are dropping solo..... just do your thing man. that's really all you can do in beta... 80% of the community is hell bent on total jerks..and I have no answers for that.

Win or lose knowing you did your best with what you brought to the fight. :)

#4 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

Lights are essential for defense. They react fast, and provide intel and needed ecm coverage. Plus they rack up harassment damage

#5 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

I have seen lights swing a battle, and it isnt through their damage output.

#6 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

My 3L raven is my best Mech it has ECM, carries ERLL and has 3 1/2 tons of LRM ammo

I use it to open gates (solo) it’s a little slow at 129.8 KPH but that can’t be helped

I can get into position to use my LRMs quickly and open almost any gate
It is getting harder since I now have to use half my LRM load to knock out a gate generator

What I need is suggestions on the heavy side of my drop deck
I have a Victor but that thing is so week it’s not even funny

#7 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

I don't understand why people complain about lights in CW when pretty much everyone has to take one if they want to take something heavy in their drop deck (like your King Crab).

It's really not like you have the option to not run them unless you want to pilot 4 mediums or something

#8 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

Especially on sulfur, lights are worth their weight merely in intel. Being able to tell what gate the enemy is pushing for at any given time before they even arrive at it can make or break a battle.

#9 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:03 AM

OP, +1. Light Mech in defence has advantages (survivability comming from speed and low profile) and several cons (smaller damage and stopping power). Your screenshot says that you put your advantages to good use while dealing with your disadvantages because you did a lot of damage. Great job :-)

Disregard people like pwnface, his opinion while somehow valid is short-sighted. You did over 1k damage in 13 minutes. Should you play the rest of the match in the same way, you would end up with well over 2k damage, easily pushing you to best players in the match. It was I suppose the beginning of the match, so your Mech was clearly the right one for the job. So, scratch the fact that you are an IS stravag, you did very well.

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:32 AM

I wouldn't worry about what others say. Bring what works for you and do your best.

#11 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:55 AM

Seem to remember reading a topic saying light rush on CW should be NEFD.

Personally I like my fire and forget PPC raven with NARC. And 148 combat point with it alone.

But like any battle in CW if you are not a team you are DEAD. But I must say I have seen fewer stomps in CW.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users