Balance

13 replies to this topic

#1 Straith

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:12 AM

To slow down the B33F and his folks using 12xLights to destroy the OG in 2 minutes, I would like to suggest the addition of cooling towers around the gun that need to be taken out in order to force the OG to open it's generator for direct air venting. The OG would be invulnerable until the cooling towers are taken out.

One or more of these could be strategically located around the gun so it would take a little more time than spawn, JJ, GGEZ!

Perhaps as a bonus, the game clock can be tied to this as an objective. The gun is bombarding the assaulting dropship and destruction of a cooling tower adds more time to the clock as the gun can no longer fire at it's max fire rate, allowing the dropship to stay in position longer.

Reference materials

#2 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:12 AM

As long as the cooling towers can be shot at range, I'm okay with this.

#3 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:18 AM

It works against PUGs, but against organized teams, especially now that this is a known thing (two days - that didn't take long), it's not as effective. It can still work, but you have to plan for the long game:

1) Hit the turret with an alpha as you jump the wall (don't stop to do it, just do it on the run - if all of you do it, that turret will die).

2) Hit the door generator with an alpha as you jump the wall (or land). If everyone hits it, it will be really hurting. Again, don't stop, just alpha it on the run.

3) Attack the TURRETS closer to the base. Those LL turrets HURT and once they're out of the way, and different waves come in, the enemy will begin to get spread out and less able to respond to a direct attack on the base from another direction.

4) Finally, put as many hits on the base as possible.

With the turrets out of the way, a concentrated deathball might be able to win the game very late and with very bad odds.

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:20 AM

I would entirely change it, maybe into something like:

there are 2 towers of kinda giant ecm making tracking the cannon impossible, so that orbital artillerie cna nto destroy the cannon.

Then the atackers have to take down both towers to win the scenario. Those towers can be claimed by two ways: one is conquering like in assault mode, one is by shooting it down. yet any of those towers should ahve a much larger amount of HP than the main cannon now has, like 10x.

otherwise people will hardly truly fight over something if the time to do the objective is too low.

#5 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:21 AM

That's a pretty interesting idea. Any effort to make the generator tougher needs to be balanced with against the fact that it will make the match last longer (meaning more advantage to the defenders).

At this point I am waiting for strategies to settle in to see how bad the rush really is. Right now it seems nigh unstoppable, but it also seems like the only reliable strategy for the attackers. After a week, once PGI has amassed a lot of data I'm sure we will see some significant changes.

#6 Spurowny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:21 AM

Why not just give the generator 10 times the amount of health it has now?

#7 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostSpurowny, on 15 December 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

Why not just give the generator 10 times the amount of health it has now?

Defenders already have enough of an advantage. That's way too much. More things to shoot should be enough to adequately slow the light-mech zerg rushes without extending match length too terribly much. Maybe. Who knows.

#8 Straith

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:30 AM

I think the generator health is actually fine, but as a means to slow down the rush this should work. I don't think this would greatly harm the overall mechanic as the towers should be easy enough to knock out from a distance, but trying to run around to all of them in a hurry would be hard.

As it is, I think the defenders have a hell of a lot of advantages and trying to knock them out at present is freakin HARD, which it should be, but could use some tweaks for that as well, but I'm focusing this solution against light rushes in the first two minutes of the game. Once the towers are down this strategy becomes perfectly viable, but later in the games progression.

#9 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 15 December 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

Defenders already have enough of an advantage. That's way too much. More things to shoot should be enough to adequately slow the light-mech zerg rushes without extending match length too terribly much. Maybe. Who knows.

You could decrease turret ranges at the same time of increasing health.

We will still need longer match times. I have had two games run out of time even if we were winning on the attack side.

#10 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

Defenders already have enough of an advantage.

Not really.

Attackers can win simply by rushing the generator.

Defenders have to kill every attacker or survive 30 minutes.

Defenders are at a HUGE disadvantage against a coordinated Attacking team.

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 December 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Not really.

Attackers can win simply by rushing the generator.

Defenders have to kill every attacker or survive 30 minutes.

Defenders are at a HUGE disadvantage against a coordinated Attacking team.

yes but the issue is the rushing, if you buff the generator health by 10x you reduce the rush and negate nearly any other possibility.
The workaround for the rush is to make people stop for a reason on the way to Omega. While people who normally brawl themselves through the opponents would simpy pass by this case as well doing it witout much extra effort.

#12 Kiblams

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostStraith, on 15 December 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

To slow down the B33F and his folks using 12xLights to destroy the OG in 2 minutes, I would like to suggest the addition of cooling towers around the gun that need to be taken out in order to force the OG to open it's generator for direct air venting. The OG would be invulnerable until the cooling towers are taken out.

One or more of these could be strategically located around the gun so it would take a little more time than spawn, JJ, GGEZ!

Perhaps as a bonus, the game clock can be tied to this as an objective. The gun is bombarding the assaulting dropship and destruction of a cooling tower adds more time to the clock as the gun can no longer fire at it's max fire rate, allowing the dropship to stay in position longer.

I really like this idea, i was thinking 2 generators destroyed to drop a shield, but your idea is much more thematic!

There are loads of ideas they can lend from the MechCommander games for bases, everything from Command Tower captures (to control turrets and gates) to generators that if destroyed; disable the turrets for that section of the base.

#13 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:20 AM

Some randomly-placed mobile field bases could accomplish the same purpose here, and introduce a little bit of a hunting element to attacking lights. LIGHT ROLE WARFARE!

#14 Straith

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostKiblams, on 15 December 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

I really like this idea, i was thinking 2 generators destroyed to drop a shield, but your idea is much more thematic!

There are loads of ideas they can lend from the MechCommander games for bases, everything from Command Tower captures (to control turrets and gates) to generators that if destroyed; disable the turrets for that section of the base.

Mechwarrior has no shield technology to my knowledge, thus an alternative has to be considered such as these cooling towers. It would be awesome to be able to interact with more things on the map, such as you describe. Mechbay's could be captured to allow repair/rearming. Anti-air positions could be knocked out to allow respawning at forward positions. Lots of options, but of course PGI would have to balance them all out so they make sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users