Which Mad Dog Variant Should I Get?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Vancer2

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:57 PM

I want to get a Mad Dog, but I can't really decide. I was hoping some of you guys who have experience in them and know some of the good builds with the various variants can help me in determining which variant is right for me.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

Their CTs are all identical, so it doesn't really matter. You'll want to get all three eventually to get any one to mastery, but with omnipods, which is which doesn't make much difference. That said: Most of the best builds major in missiles and that means the A STs, which means that's probably the cheapest to get off the ground for your first one.

#3 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

So to reiterate some

XP levels (Basic, Elite, Master) are tied to the CT of the chassis - so eventually you will want all 3.

You can change all the other parts of the Omnimech around - but as all the CT to the MDD family are identical - the big thing for the first choice would be which one comes with the other parts you want.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:07 PM

If there was something unique about each one's CT, i.e. a CT-mounted turret ala MW4, or a specific trait or quirk for the CT that makes it preferable... then you'd pick based on that.

Since its an Omnimech, in truth there is only one Mad Dog. That Mad Dog just has many basic configurations. (Unlike Battlemechs, whose variants are entirely different machines often with different manufacturers, an Omnimech is the same machine with snap-in parts).

Use whichever one has most of the parts you want right off the bat, and go with that one.

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostKoniving, on 16 December 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

If there was something unique about each one's CT, i.e. a CT-mounted turret ala MW4, or a specific trait or quirk for the CT that makes it preferable... then you'd pick based on that.

Since its an Omnimech, in truth there is only one Mad Dog. That Mad Dog just has many basic configurations. (Unlike Battlemechs, whose variants are entirely different machines often with different manufacturers, an Omnimech is the same machine with snap-in parts).

Use whichever one has most of the parts you want right off the bat, and go with that one.

Yep. It makes me just nuts when I hear people ask for a "SCR-D" build. There's just one SCR. If the omnipod set bonus wasn't such a joke, you could make an argument otherwise, but since it is...

#6 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 16 December 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

Yep. It makes me just nuts when I hear people ask for a "SCR-D" build. There's just one SCR. If the omnipod set bonus wasn't such a joke, you could make an argument otherwise, but since it is...

In that case it would be people like me, who prefer not to change their omni-pods around a whole lot.
(saves us some Cbills or the time changing back and forth :P)

IE: a decent build using just those parts.
Edit: or those who do not realize you CAN change parts. :ph34r:

Edited by Shar Wolf, 16 December 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#7 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Aside from needing 3 to master them, if you get the -A variant it comes with the good missile side torsos and would save you from having to purchase new ST for the Prime and B variants.

The non-prime's can get to cool faction camo too. When they're out for Cbills I'm planning to buy 2 more A's to try a 4 Doge deck with all matching faction camos.

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostAlphaToaster, on 16 December 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Aside from needing 3 to master them, if you get the -A variant it comes with the good missile side torsos and would save you from having to purchase new ST for the Prime and B variants.

The non-prime's can get to cool faction camo too. When they're out for Cbills I'm planning to buy 2 more A's to try a 4 Doge deck with all matching faction camos.

They've said (I) variants are going to be faction camo enabled in a few patches, so you should be able to save some CB.

#9 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:48 AM

#10 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:18 AM

I've just bought some recently and I've had the most fun in the A with its default loadout. 6 SRM 6 is no joke, and people will keep their distance if they know you've got it, which somewhat offset's the Mad Dog's fragility in close combat. Plus you have a PPC for sniping and a shotgun for close in defence. One of my favourite mechs so far.

I'd start with the A & the B & buy the prime last.

#11 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:10 AM

View PostKoniving, on 16 December 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

Wasn't the MW4 version canonized as the Mad Dog MK.II?
I wouldn't mind having a MK.II CT but if we actually got it there would be no reason to use any of the others. Then again we already have several omnimech CT configs that are undeniably better than other configs, so it probably wouldn't be such a big deal.

#12 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:34 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 16 December 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

In that case it would be people like me, who prefer not to change their omni-pods around a whole lot.
(saves us some Cbills or the time changing back and forth :P)

IE: a decent build using just those parts.
Edit: or those who do not realize you CAN change parts. :ph34r:

Or people who say they want a good "bla bla bla" build and actually mean something simular to the stock hardpoints.

For eg if you google direwolf B builds you see lots of builds with 6 ballistics and stuff, search direwolf A or prime and you do not have anything with over 4 ballistics.

Or stormcrow D. where they are asking for a missile based build.

Anyway we do know the quickening will happen for clans eventually and we do not want to go off and build a dakka build on a nova prime to find out all the dakka quirks are on the B. or something like that.

Personally I try to keep all my builds diverse and usually that is done by using certain omnipods. Usually the stock helps.

View PostSatan n stuff, on 31 December 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind having a MK.II CT but if we actually got it there would be no reason to use any of the others. Then again we already have several omnimech CT configs that are undeniably better than other configs, so it probably wouldn't be such a big deal.

clans getting quirks soon.

The CT one will be the only one with no quirks/ massive quirks.

(ontop of that, I think the CT energy could be a good hero mad dog)

#13 W00DSTER

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

would have to say A or prime

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:01 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 31 December 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

It could be. Truth be told I've yet to be able to really play MW4 because I've had a dual card system without a way to turn it off and that game has no support. Though I should be able to run it now...

Honestly, in Battletech there's no difference between a Config and another. It's the same mech. That was the big deal about Omnimechs. There is no difference. You just swap parts, they are interchangeable. So I don't even see why the 3 mech system was even done. You simply have the nickname change based on the loadout if at all, and you have triple the requirements to get it mastered with smaller increments on each individual unlock. (So basic "Hardbrake" gets unlocked 3 times, in total giving you about the same as an IS hardbrake).

Battlemech variants, however, are entirely different machines. And HBK 4G is not the same mech as an HBK 5G. In fact its a whole new generation. An HBK 4H couldn't just be made with a 4G, either, it required a whole lot of work to make the changes, many of them internal and some external. In the end you'd get something that would look like it was thrown together with a rivet gun, super glue and duct tape with Larry the Cable Guy sayin' "Get 'er done."

#15 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

honestly, ya need three... so it really doesn't mater.. aren't there only 3 versions of all clan mechs so far?

#16 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:50 AM

After playing MW 4 and watching the intro vidoe, I really started to like the MD, a great mech. As long as it dosent make things too unbalanced, I would really like to see a MD MKII with a chin mounted center torso with room for 2 energy or 2 ballistic, heck even missile hard point(s) Perfect for SRMS to scare off lights ramming your front. I guess an offset by having less quirks, as somone said would be good.

As http://www.sarna.net...g_%28Vulture%29 mentions. The medium pulse lasers were merely taken from the arms and put in under the central torso. It could be an unique aspect of the mad dog/ vulture, but then again could there be similar treatments for other clan mechs?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users