Madcat/Timberwolf running through desert

6 replies to this topic

#1 Unluccy

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

The long wait for the release of MWO has made me creative and inspired me to experiment a little more with 3D animation, which is something I used to do many years ago. Since everyone is posting their 3D models and animations I thought I'd share some of my results.

This is a Madcat I modeled and rendered in Blender.

I chose a form of cartoon-style rendering because doing something realistic means spending a lot more time on modeling, texturing and rendering. Since I may be doing a little short film I really cannot afford to spend hours and hours on detailing and rendering. Also I want to use comic-style 2D characters which integrate much better with cartoony CGI.

Before I turned to 3D, I tried my best with 2D animations:

But ultimately I think only three dimensions get across the scale and awesomeness of Mechs. :)

Anyway, that's just some background info for whoever is interested. I hope you enjoy the animations!

#2 Helvetica

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

very cool dude. If am really honest i think your 2d work is far stronger. It has way more character/atmosphere too it and i think more scale and awesomesauce can be added with scaling factors like trees buildings and the motion feels better.

Kick out a battle on a storyboard and do it, could split elevations up with top downs too. :) surprised your not using flash for 2d.

i'm also getting creative while i wait. I think a ton of people are!

Edited by Helvetica, 29 June 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#3 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Animation 1 <the Timber Wolf> felt very very much like MW2 to me. Had the same ambiance to me. Way to rock!

#4 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

The 2Ds seem to be lacking a little something, it is probably just because it is 2D.

The 3D feels great, although if you put in a slight side-to-side roll I think that would give it more life. Plus remember that these are very heavy, bipedal machines. Their feet would sink into the ground a bit further accenting the side to side movement with every step. That said, they look great. Better than anything I could do.

#5 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

VERY cool 2d animations, reminds me of the old homeworld cinimatics, also castlecrashers... cause its epic.

Edited by Skadi, 29 June 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#6 Unluccy

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

Thanks everyone!

View PostHelvetica, on 29 June 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Kick out a battle on a storyboard and do it, could split elevations up with top downs too. :) surprised your not using flash for 2d.

Thanks! I use After Effects because it's actually much more versatile for 2D animation than Flash (unless you intend to do web animation that is).

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 29 June 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

Animation 1 <the Timber Wolf> felt very very much like MW2 to me. Had the same ambiance to me. Way to rock!

Thanks, I went for a more oldschool look, even though I personally like the redesigns of MW4, for example. Also I think the cartoony look does remind one of Mechwarrior 2 graphics a bit. :lol:

View PostAlaric Wolf Kerensky, on 29 June 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

The 3D feels great, although if you put in a slight side-to-side roll I think that would give it more life.

Thanks! As for the side-to-side motion: Unfortunately I did not really manage to get the Mech rigged in a way that it could do that (even though I modeled specific joints for that). I did have slightly better motion in this Shadowcat-Video but the legs bend in physically impossible ways, also the feet are more static because the toes do not move (the model is not by me but the famous version by Pawel Czarnecki)

#7 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

like everyone else in this thread im really likeing that 2d animation, the 3d timberwolf, needed a little more bend in the knee joint and a tad slower but other then that its all cool :( loving the shadowcat too :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users