Why Are My Allies Trying To Get Me Killed?

28 replies to this topic

#1 FatManBlue

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:20 AM

Grinding out XP on my 2nd direwolf... and I can't seem to get any help, just hindrance. Every match so far, I either have the light mechs on my team playing like assualts lingering in the assault line and blocking my limited movement, instead of flanking and spotting, or they are completely gone from the area not spotting or fighting the enemy lights that are shooting me in the back. Yes, ECM support is nice from a little guy, but it doesn't mean he has to hump your leg to provide it. I'm sorry I'm such a cranky old fart, but some of this is just common sense. It's very difficult to maneuver dires much less when you're stepping all over your little bity allies.

#2 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:22 AM

At least you don't have 4 mans hiding in a corner of the map till the rest of your team is dead because they are trying to get your team to lose on purpose.

#3 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:52 AM

Hate tripping over a raven 3l when I'm trying to work an angle on the front line. When all the lights are sitting in the middle of the team there is no recon, no spotting, no harassing. "Oh but we need ecm cover!" No! If you need ecm to survive you really are doing it wrong.

#4 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:21 AM

First of all, OP, new players are new. It's not as if there's any kind of tutorial to teach them what to do. Odds are, they learned in the "no Elo" solo queue. Keep that in mind.

Secondly, there are no "light mechs." Just smaller assaults. When a Spider can take more direct hits than an Atlas or Dire Wolf, then it's considered an "assault."

#5 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:38 AM

Haha...spider is definitely an assault. Its just pathetic what you can pump into a spider.

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:45 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 16 December 2014 - 02:22 AM, said:

At least you don't have 4 mans hiding in a corner of the map till the rest of your team is dead because they are trying to get your team to lose on purpose.

If they are hiding in the corner they are jerks. If they are waiting to see what you do to attempt to support as a unified team is a different story.

The Law will often tell what we are about to do at launch (Meet at F7, Scouts find enemy) then see the PUG section of team go to 3 different locations, die, and cuss us out cause we didn't support them! Guess YMMV.

#7 Xyuni

• PipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:45 AM

I find that the worst complaint about PUG dropping I have is those damn turds that sit behind me denying me the opportunity to reverse into cover.... I absolutely dread those fools.

#8 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:49 AM

Honestly, the problem is people group up so tight that they must be having mecha-sex. People need to give each other room to move and shoot.

#9 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostXyuni, on 16 December 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

I find that the worst complaint about PUG dropping I have is those damn turds that sit behind me denying me the opportunity to reverse into cover.... I absolutely dread those fools.

To be fair they are expecting you to move in so they can flood in behind you. you are an assault btw. Those 5 seconds of extra life are valuable.

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:36 AM

View PostTombstoner, on 16 December 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

To be fair they are expecting you to move in so they can flood in behind you. you are an assault btw. Those 5 seconds of extra life are valuable.

Both of you are making good points.

#11 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:46 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 December 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

Both of you are making good points.

Mmhmm....
In a PUG match, without communication, it can be hard to tell if your Assault is going to be pushing or if they're just planning on playing peek-a-boo with the enemy.

Of course, you should never be rubbing elbows with your teammates. The only paint coming off my chassis should be from enemy fire.

Anyhow, reading the battle always works better than just blindly following an assault.

****, I'm all over the place with this response...

#12 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:52 AM

That light dies in one hit you're lucky he is even sticking around with you.

#13 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

OP, there are so many unqualified assault pilots bumbling around and being ineffective that teammates simply ignore that they are there, hunker down and fight it out short handed instead of trying to coddle them through a match.

#14 ZippySpeedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dropship Earth

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

Generally I find that it's Assault Mech players that are always trying to get themselves killed all on their own...

There's nothing I love more then finding an Assault, all by himself, focused on a choke point, who's never looking around...

Usually a few shots to the back, and I move on to my next victim...

#15 Mergatroid Skittle

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:15 AM

I'm sure this is frustrating for Assault pilots. Just try saying something before the match starts, or once your team settles into a position. Something like "Hey lights, try not to block your fellow assaults. Give them some room". You might get some sarcastic remarks, but at least some newer light pilots will have that in the back of their head once the game starts.

As a light pilot that's been playing for little awhile now, I'm pretty conscious of my positioning and whether I am likely to prevent movement (or get blocked myself). When I first started I wasn't really aware of any of this. I know I've blocked people on accident in the past but I catch myself now.

In regards to these comments...

View Postoneda, on 16 December 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

Haha...spider is definitely an assault. Its just pathetic what you can pump into a spider.

I see these comments about the spider over and over. Go look at the "hit box localization" post and you'll notice that the hit boxes on a spider are:
1) Very thin
2) Oddly shaped.

So when you think you've dumped 40 points of damage into their CT, a couple things may have happened:
1) You only hit part of the spider
2) The damage was spread to various parts

Also, the devs are always tweaking hit boxes and I can tell you that the spider is not as "invincible" as it was a year ago. Look at the patch notes and you will see how many times the spider hit box has been tweaked over the past year and a half or so. I've piloted Spiders and Firestarters and can say that the latter are much more durable.

#16 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:22 AM

Knockdowns need to be added back. There was nothing wrong with them in the first place, just cry babies whining, mainly light players.

Edited by lsp, 16 December 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#17 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostMergatroid Skittle, on 16 December 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

In regards to these comments...

I see these comments about the spider over and over. Go look at the "hit box localization" post and you'll notice that the hit boxes on a spider are:
1) Very thin
2) Oddly shaped.

So when you think you've dumped 40 points of damage into their CT, a couple things may have happened:
1) You only hit part of the spider
2) The damage was spread to various parts

Also, the devs are always tweaking hit boxes and I can tell you that the spider is not as "invincible" as it was a year ago. Look at the patch notes and you will see how many times the spider hit box has been tweaked over the past year and a half or so. I've piloted Spiders and Firestarters and can say that the latter are much more durable.

100% right on. If you hit it with dual gauss it dies unless armor is 100% fresh. Hit it with two rounds off a ssrm clan boat it dies. I have taken out a whole lance with a ssrm boat before. Really if you bring an er laser to a light fight dont plan on winning.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 16 December 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#18 Necromonger Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:00 AM

In 1989 we had a review mirrors in our mechs (MW2), that was Lost Tech!

#19 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

View Postoneda, on 16 December 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

About 2-3 ER PPC + AC/10 shots per leg, in my experience.

#20 Styxx42

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPeterborough Canada

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:36 AM

View PostFatManBlue, on 16 December 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

Grinding out XP on my 2nd direwolf... and I can't seem to get any help, just hindrance. Every match so far, I either have the light mechs on my team playing like assualts lingering in the assault line and blocking my limited movement, instead of flanking and spotting, or they are completely gone from the area not spotting or fighting the enemy lights that are shooting me in the back. Yes, ECM support is nice from a little guy, but it doesn't mean he has to hump your leg to provide it. I'm sorry I'm such a cranky old fart, but some of this is just common sense. It's very difficult to maneuver dires much less when you're stepping all over your little bity allies.

There have been some great replies about the PUG que.
Here is why I get in front some times with my Raven.
It is not on flat open terrain. It is at the lip of a crest, ridge or terrain feature.

In my Mastered Raven, I have Tag with Advanced Target Decay and Tow ER LL

Here is One scenario.
I move forward NOT to get the shot but to tag the mechs that are hiding just down and around that Ramp so that
A: The LRM boats can Wail away at them with Missiles while not being seen.

B So that my Team mates know where they are and can slide left or right and not walk unsuspecting into the CF Zone.

Yes I take Shots with my DUAL ERLL.
It is NOT A Direwolfs or any assault for that matter job to walk forward around that corner to take it on the chin with no support being CF'd to death.

It may not apply to you but that is how I play my Lights. YES I sometimes get in the way and i almost NEVER complain when I am shot in the back.

But I am trying to get target data and telemetry for you assaults and provide Lock for my boats.
So this also sometimes necessitates me moving forward and back. I count the ATD cooldown and them move back to the renab the lock before it is broken.
This will if done correctly cause the mechs down the ramp to either CHARGE(which happens more then often) or retreat.
If they Charge ther eis nothing more vexing then being blocked from backing up by an Assault that doesn't know his job.

Just yesterday I was working the Center of Volcano perfectly with a Stalker.
We killed a KingCrab and chased away the rest of the lance, The Crab was trying to play Peepaboo on the one bridge leading over to the center. The Stalker Pilot played it perfect.(I wish I coudl Right click and friend players like that) He waited and watched me zap this king until he came up, I retreated behind the Stalker and the stalker unloaded. Crab retreated and we rinsed and repeated. It was beautiful. The stalker Pilot even knew when to advance when I moved over the lip of the bridge. he came right in(the Crab was trying to become a turtle at that point.
He was also aware that I was staying on one side of the bridge(call it a lane) and he stayed on the other side.

Two other observations why lights get in the way
I find a lot of pilots are not even aware or lose track of where their mechs are.
During combat this happens to us all.
Most frustrating is moving form one location to another like up a narrow path or across a bridge there is enough space for a light to move past an assault. But 9 times out of 10 they block the whole path. Lights can get across and scout for the assaults and heavies if you let us pass.
Try and leave room for the rest of the lance to move behind you if your the lead mech. Find a spot that gives you the opertumity to shoot but also allows the rest of the unit to continue to move and not wait behind you or risk taking fire because we have to move in front of you to get past you.

Last thought. ECM-- it is not our job to cower and never engage. This idea, that we are playing it wrong if we pop out front or sweep the enemies with a thrust and retreat.
I use my ECM to flank even just slightly and tag for my company to deal with.

That is my two cents. It might not be the reason you are getting assassinated by your companions but it is a Raven Pilots take on why he is where he is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users