#101 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

a few nights ago I had an excellent match,

I joined a 12 man group from my unit. the drop leader laid out the plan, it was basically the first 3 drops take out all the turrets and try to cripple (not kill) as many Mechs as possible, when you die wait for the rest of the team to die then perform the next coordinated attack, no-one went for the orbital Gauss until the final rush, everyone held back a 120+KPH Mech for the last drop, and that last drop we do a coordinated rush through a single gate towards the orbital gun, it worked perfectly, by removing the turrets and leaving enemy Mechs in the sort of condition where you have to decide if it is worth ejecting, the enemy could not respond in time to stop us.

our whole strategy was to put ourselves in the best possible position for our "zerg rush" to work.

that was a well executed plan, not a no skill rush.

#102 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 17 December 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

I joined a 12 man group from my unit. the drop leader laid out the plan, it was basically the first 3 drops take out all the turrets and try to cripple (not kill) as many Mechs as possible, when you die wait for the rest of the team to die then perform the next coordinated attack, no-one went for the orbital Gauss until the final rush, everyone held back a 120+KPH Mech for the last drop, and that last drop we do a coordinated rush through a single gate towards the orbital gun, it worked perfectly, by removing the turrets and leaving enemy Mechs in the sort of condition where you have to decide if it is worth ejecting, the enemy could not respond in time to stop us.

our whole strategy was to put ourselves in the best possible position for our "zerg rush" to work.

But you rushed in the end! That is still a Zerg Rush!!!
Blah! Blah! Blah! That's not fair.
Blah! Blah! Blah! That's cheese.
Blah! Blah! Blah! (@)**@!!!

:lol:

#103 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:35 PM

So what you are saying is you rushed the base with lights and tried to rack up some cbills before you did. Same thing boss, you just wasted the defenders time by delaying it.

#104 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

The disabled/crippled defenders should have moved up to greet your new wave at the gate. For some reason people are really reluctant to let go of their mechs even if they are severely damaged. That would give them enough time to eject or die to get a fresh mech to continue defense.

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 17 December 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

So what you are saying is you rushed the base with lights and tried to rack up some cbills before you did. Same thing boss, you just wasted the defenders time by delaying it.

Just no.

The attacker objective is to kill the orbital cannon not kill all base defenders. Not every focused effort on the orbital cannon is a "rush".

#105 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:46 PM

, everyone held back a 120+KPH Mech for the last drop, and that last drop we do a coordinated rush through a single gate towards the orbital gun,

View Postpwnface, on 17 December 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

The disabled/crippled defenders should have moved up to greet your new wave at the gate. For some reason people are really reluctant to let go of their mechs even if they are severely damaged. That would give them enough time to eject or die to get a fresh mech to continue defense.

Just no.

The attacker objective is to kill the orbital cannon not kill all base defenders. Not every focused effort on the orbital cannon is a "rush".

hmm... Im sorry, I think the very word he used was "rush". I think you know just as well as any, with a light rush you can do it in one run. Yes you can do a couple feel good runs to get some legs and turrets, but is a rush all the same.

#106 Popper100

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

This right here, this is a game. Well, kind of a game. In the end you probably could have still gotten away with simply pushing to the gun each wave and not worried about the defenders.

What I think a lot of us want is for this to happen, that rushing is still a viable strategy to be employed in its own time, but that it can be employed at any time in a match and be equally effective is the problem. A sort of ring, like say additional defenses that prevent the foolish early rush, that are set up and can be taken down in their own way. A ring of defenses that augment, but not dominate, the difficulty of any rush while they remain up. Something to make the attackers have to work, but also eases their attack when they have done the work. Things to defend, to keep up so they can do their work. Things to fight around and have mech on mech combat.

A man can dream.

#107 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 17 December 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

Man, Im not going to tell you how to win. But if we have not killed 6 and rekted the others of their 1st wave before the gates open I don't even feel good.

People who sit there and wait for the fight to happen normally loose.

You haven't faced a proper rush. A proper rush ignores the gates.

#108 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

Why are all these IS pilots telling the Clans how to defend themselves?

#109 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 17 December 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

hmm... Im sorry, I think the very word he used was "rush". I think you know just as well as any, with a light rush you can do it in one run. Yes you can do a couple feel good runs to get some legs and turrets, but is a rush all the same.

oops it looks like I misread your comment, sorry!

#110 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 17 December 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

Lol I guess you are thinking I am talking about just sitting on the outside till they open lol

#111 ShadowSpirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 17 December 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

PUG vs PUG we put our entire defensive team at the generator and within 3 mins, 1 zerg rush manage to take out the Generator.

... there's your problem right there. You have to take the fight to the enemy. If you set up at the generator that means they can shoot the generator. Good teams push out and go on the offensive once they obtain number superiority.

#112 operatorZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 556 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostMystere, on 17 December 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Where? I want to give him a piece of my mind because I don't want the "I can't seem to counter it so I will run to the forums" people getting their way.

Yeah, I don't want the "herp a derp, no need for battle or brains, lets just rush the generator!" crowd getting there way.....oh wait they have it now.

in before "l2play n00b"

how about you try an argument that's valid for keeping the zerg rush....instead of just insulting people

#113 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostoperatorZ, on 17 December 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

Yeah, I don't want the "herp a derp, no need for battle or brains, lets just rush the generator!" crowd getting there way.....oh wait they have it now.

in before "l2play n00b"

how about you try an argument that's valid for keeping the zerg rush....instead of just insulting people

Why does anyone have to prove or validate to you that the "zerg rush", an EXISTING tactic needs to be kept? The onus is upon those who want to have something changed to make their case. "I don't like it" isn't a valid argument.

There are numerous threads detailing why the light zerg rush can easily be countered, heck I even made a forum thread with specific tactics on how to stop it : http://mwomercs.com/...h-zerg-rush-qq/

Many people ( and I count myself among them ), don't think that the light mech zerg rush is a problem and that PGI shouldn't make changes to a game mode to deal with a problem that doesn't exist. Planning and coordination is a large part of the enjoyment I get out of MWO, dumbing down the game so that specific tactics and counters are irrelevant is a bad idea in my book.

Edited by pwnface, 17 December 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#114 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostoperatorZ, on 17 December 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

in before "l2play n00b"

Fine, I'll be first.
L2P n00b.
Seriously the zerg isn't the problem, your lack of ability to react to it is.
Why is it that, apparently (just looking at this thread) Clan Wolf is the only one having an issue w/ this?

#115 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 17 December 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Fine, I'll be first.
L2P n00b.
Seriously the zerg isn't the problem, your lack of ability to react to it is.
Why is it that, apparently (just looking at this thread) Clan Wolf is the only one having an issue w/ this?

That's interesting because clans probably have the easiest time dealing with a light mech zerg rush. A few SCRs or MDDs loaded with SSRM6s is a gauranteed counter. IS anti-light streak mechs take significantly longer to disable a light mech.

#116 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 17 December 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

Ahhh but we have. The spheroods jumped the unopened gate and rushed our turret... What they did not count one was us being in lights as well... We hammered their backs and save the generator.

Normally things do not come to that for us, we believe in an active, offensive defense. We do not sit behind the gates twiddling our thumbs waiting for all the gates to open.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users