Destructiod Cw Article

141 replies to this topic

#1 SpeedingBus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:25 AM

So destructiod wrote an article about introduction of CW and I found it amusing so I decided to share it!

http://www.destructo...nt-285078.phtml

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

Time to use PGI's favorite phrase--It is still in BETA!

Well, the whole game is, really. :ph34r:

Edited by El Bandito, 17 December 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#3 elismallz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

That article taught me what it feels like to be a petulant child.

#4 Daoa Hakoke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

For some reason I feel like I have not been playing the same game hes complaining about, even though they both have the same initials, MWO.

#5 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

Good article, so true.

#6 SpeedingBus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostDaoa Hakoke, on 17 December 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

For some reason I feel like I have not been playing the same game hes complaining about, even though they both have the same initials, MWO.

Are you sure? Most of his complaints are what I have of MWO although the whole separation of clan/is mechs will eventually be dissolved one would hope.

#7 Asrrin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 200 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

He talks about this glorious vision of reshaping the galaxy by pledging loyalty to a house or clan and fighting off the rest for dominance, and then curses the fact that CW does exactly that and has to actually pledge to a particular faction and his friends may or may not be part of it.

I mean, what did you expect to happen in a franchise with a 30 year history and 10 different factions to choose from? It's not the fault of PGI, it's a natural outcome of having that many mutually exclusive options present.

I actually applaud PGI for having the foresight to allow all IS or all Clan players to defend against Clan/IS attacks. With sync dropping and a little luck, all of your friends from many different factions can all play together.

#8 KharnZor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

A sub par article with 0 insight and a general lack of knowledge of mwo as it stands right now.
Game journalism indeed lol

#9 fleshwoundNPG

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 303 posts
  • LocationGreencastle, Indiana USA

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:17 AM

"Finally ingratiated into the mighty House Marik, it was time to stake our claim and defend our precious homeworld against the invading Clans!"

Uh...

#10 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

It's a craptastic whining article. 1/10 wouldn't read again.

#11 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

I find I kinda have to agree with the review. It's like PGI never made a multiplayer on line game before and is piling up lots of beginner mistakes. (What did you say - this is their first attempt? Oh, well at least that explains a few things).

#12 Talis Thunder

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

"It's hard to believe them when they say they've been working on this for three years."

Well said, that's exactly my feeling.

IGP was definitely not the main reason why CW and the development of MWO were in the shithole. And I don't believe that the development of Transverse hasn't affected MWO at all.

PGI released a half-finished CW on a crappy game server that can't properly process hit registrations, and they used the term "Beta" to sugarcoat this rushed product. I'd give 10/10 to Destructoid's article.

#13 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:00 PM

The author (and I use that title loosely..) lost any remaining credibility here: "Then there are the saddest of all, the true believers who never lost the faith, desperately pinning their hopes on PGI making good."

Regardless of the journalistic intent, the article is rift with snarky swipes at PGI, it's supporters and makes the biased mistake of languishing over promises made...

Pro-tip: If your going to write a quasi-review of the recent CW offering... Spend a little more time reviewing that aspect and spend a lot less time complaining about past transgressions such as length of development, promises made, and loitering on the inference of being lied to.

There are far more balanced and contextual reviews penned in this very forum that one does not have to sift through angsty contempt to try and gleen a viable review.... :rolleyes:

Edited by DaZur, 17 December 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#14 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:03 PM

Poorly written and steeped in butthurt angst. .25/10

#15 elismallz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 17 December 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

I find I kinda have to agree with the review. It's like PGI never made a multiplayer on line game before and is piling up lots of beginner mistakes. (What did you say - this is their first attempt? Oh, well at least that explains a few things).

See, this could have been the basis of an actual article with actual journalism. The author could have used descructoid's weight as a gaming news rag to wrangle an interview with Russ or Paul. They could have discussed the size of the dev team and how that affected what was in this release. They could have discussed lessons learned or a path forward from here. They could have even gotten into the dev process at PGI and maybe we could all learn a little something.

Instead the author wanted to talk about feelings. Missed opportunity IMO.

Edit: DaZur beat me to it. Well said sir.

View PostDaZur, on 17 December 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

The author (and I use that title loosely..) lost any remaining credibility here: "Then there are the saddest of all, the true believers who never lost the faith, desperately pinning their hopes on PGI making good."

Regardless of the journalistic intent, the article is rift with snarky swipes at PGI, it's supporters and makes the biased mistake of languishing over promises made...

Pro-tip: If your going to write a quasi-review of the recent CW offering... Spend a little more time reviewing that aspect and spend a lot less time complaining about past transgressions such as length of development, promises made, and loitering on the inference of being lied to.

There are far more balanced and contextual reviews penned in this very forum that one does not have to sift through angsty contempt to try and gleen a viable review.... :rolleyes:

Edited by elismallz, 17 December 2014 - 12:07 PM.

#16 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

Article gives a pretty clear idea how I feel about it over the last few...years.

#17 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

View Postelismallz, on 17 December 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

See, this could have been the basis of an actual article with actual journalism. The author could have used descructoid's weight as a gaming news rag to wrangle an interview with Russ or Paul. They could have discussed the size of the dev team and how that affected what was in this release. They could have discussed lessons learned or a path forward from here. They could have even gotten into the dev process at PGI and maybe we could all learn a little something.

Instead the author wanted to talk about feelings. Missed opportunity IMO.

Edit: DaZur beat me to it. Well said sir.

Well he would have said the same things that have been said over and over and still haven't changed. Which is why the tone for the whole thing was spot on. They can't do what they said they would, and never will yet some people still belive they will or are please with meh.

#18 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

Look up the term Game Post-mortems. **** happens to every game ever made. Pretty sure no half decent PC game was made in a mere 6 months (in this last 1/2 century). Now lots of ****** games may have been made in 6 months but MWO does not fit that profile thankfully.

#19 elismallz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 17 December 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Well he would have said the same things that have been said over and over and still haven't changed. Which is why the tone for the whole thing was spot on. They can't do what they said they would, and never will yet some people still belive they will or are please with meh.

Really? You haven't seen any change in the last 6 months to a year? I would assert that there are well documented changes in the company showing real results in what is delivered. Aren't you sick of the tired "Why are they doing YYY when XXX is broken" complaints? Wouldn't you like to know WHY that is happening? That's really the job of journalists, to give us insight past what we see upon a casual glance.

#20 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 17 December 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Simple. You want it all yesterday and have no concern for what is really involved to make one of these things. But believe what you will. Each to their own right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users