#1 Truthstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

The more layers of crap you implement the more crap we experience in battle.

Zerging: Resulting from two items.

1. Mission objectives.

The majority of the MW community wanted PC for a long time. We are predominately a PvP playerbase NOT PvE. Winning a battle by blowing up a stupid generator caters to PvE. Is this an FPS or RTS.

2. Tonnage Drops.

Again, we will go to the basics. The standard Lance is widely recognized as Assault, Heavy, Med, Light. It's something called combat balance. Kind of important in PvP, The tactics come into play with weapon load outs and utilizing your forces; not from trying to be clever BEFORE the match even begins. ie. Super Lance Leader decides on zerging w 12 lights or meds.

It's literally stupid to allow unlimited # of a specific mech class per battle. Each class has its own strength and weakness. Screwing around with tonnage is not only a waste of time but completely off balances COMBAT. I really feel half of those making the decisions are wrapped up in boardgames or books, playing armchair tacticians, instead of keeping in-game combat paramount.

So far you got some things right. Attack/Defend.

Things you got wrong:

-Is there a need to have 48 mechs per match aside from marketing 'large scale' mech battles which is just disingenuous. You limit your own playerbase dropping bc of an expectation to play for 30min+. I'm fine with a longer battle but not when the combat sucks and is completely unbalanced.
-Very limited # of planets.There should be hundreds. Your mechanics make taking planets painfully slow. Check out Aces High2; they have their map capture mechanics set perfectly.
-Mission objectives. Is this Command and Conquer? Next thing lances will be asked is to go kill 5 wild boars.
-Get rid of Counter attack. Its stupid. We want to conquer planets in masse through pure combat, House/Clan destruction.
Change it to something like: Planet has 6 zones(separate lobbies), Winning a Zone turns each over to winning Unit/House/etc. Each zone needs to be won(occupied) for a planet to be taken.

Simple, fast, fun.

KISS.

#2 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

Respectfully... no. I like their implementation more than most things you proposed.

#3 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostTruthstar, on 17 December 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Things you got wrong:

-Is there a need to have 48 mechs per match aside from marketing 'large scale' mech battles which is just disingenuous. You limit your own playerbase dropping bc of an expectation to play for 30min+. I'm fine with a longer battle but not when the combat sucks and is completely unbalanced.

If you want a fast game, you can always play in the regular queue. Players have been asking for a large scale game mode, and in this regard I think CW delivers.

-Very limited # of planets.There should be hundreds. Your mechanics make taking planets painfully slow. Check out Aces High2; they have their map capture mechanics set perfectly.

The queue times for specific planets are already crazy high. If anything, planets should be limited more.
As for "taking planets painfully slow" the Clan Wars raged on for years, as do most large scale wars. If capture time were increased then a good week for a single faction could wipe out the entire map, causing the need for weekly resets and the loss of any "permanent" or meaningful progress.

-Mission objectives. Is this Command and Conquer? Next thing lances will be asked is to go kill 5 wild boars.

Oh no! Objectives outside of kill everyone, how will we ever cope!?
Also, the boar farming mission in CnC was my favourite one.

-Get rid of Counter attack. Its stupid. We want to conquer planets in masse through pure combat, House/Clan destruction.
Change it to something like: Planet has 6 zones(separate lobbies), Winning a Zone turns each over to winning Unit/House/etc. Each zone needs to be won(occupied) for a planet to be taken.

What were you just saying about KISS?

Simple, fast, fun.

KISS.

Eh, not really.

#4 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

nah.

#5 Adamski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

I think a better KISS principle would be to keep IS and Clan separate while they work on balance, considering we never got a chance to stretch our legs and establish proper faction rivalries.

#6 Iron Felix

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

Simple is always best...as far as major strategic goals is concerned...complicated micromanagement is preferable for the individual trying to max out his/her mech, etc.,.

ok..."ZERGing" is a big topic lately..I have seen alot of arguments about it, for or against, but remain convinced that any viable tactic that works is fair. dig deeper. why is this an overwhealming tactic?...one reason, because this game prefers light mechs as the "golden children". you cant have 2 or 4 heavy or assault mechs posted and standing guard, because they are ineffective against a rush of lights. in my opinion, assault mechs SHOULD be devastating (in the right hands) to light mechs, not balanced with them. a rush of assaults might not even be considered a rush.

tonnage restrictions are a major problem..again, if you arent a light pilot, you are screwed, and forced to play outside your experience and comfort zone..(240/4 = 60)...if i drive a mech that weighs more than 60 tons, i cant actually play with 4 mechs that im actually proficient with?...i cant drop with less than 4 mechs, so, what?...im restricted to only 1 or 2 that i can actually play well?....so, i have to change what i might be capable of doing in a battle because im afraid of losing my 1 or 2 mechs and being stuck with mechs i can neither use well or enjoy....that doesnt seem right..

ok...why am i joining a queue for a planet, and then trying to find teammates to attack/defend it?...shouldnt we be joining a faction team first, with the intention of finding a battle (planet, queue), once we have one, afterwards?..why not focus on a single planet per week (or some specific time period..days maybe), per faction, and add up the results at the end of the week (day, etc.)?...this would certainly streamline things...

#7 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

no thanks

if you want KISS play PUB. Thanks :)

#8 Truthstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostSandpit, on 17 December 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

no thanks

if you want KISS play PUB. Thanks :)

And how are PUB matches simple? Still no balance whatsoever. Still no lobbies for UnitvsUnit battles. The only purpose of PUB matches are one thing; leveling up mechs, not wanting to wait x amount of time for a CW match or being unable to get in a organized CW lance.

Edited by Truthstar, 22 December 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#9 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostTruthstar, on 22 December 2014 - 06:22 PM, said:

And how are PUB matches simple? Still no balance whatsoever. Still no lobbies for UnitvsUnit battles. The only purpose of PUB matches are one thing; leveling up mechs, not wanting to wait x amount of time for a CW match or being unable to get in a organized CW lance.

There's private matches for Unit vs Unit battles isn't there...?

Every game I go into I must say the response I've had in CW has been most positive to my communicating, suggesting and ordering in its varying degrees.

You just gotta try to be that guy who gets everyone talking and I think you'll find your game quality go up. (Tip, negativity gets you nowhere, ever)

As for simplicity, 12 light mech rush on the 2nd/3rd wave = the epitome KISS

Fighting through layers of crap is what warfare is all about, keeping it simple is the grunts job.

Edited by Sadist Cain, 22 December 2014 - 06:33 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users