19 replies to this topic

#1 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

Just had a thought. (I know, and yes, it hurt.)

So when the Clan mechs started coming out, some people just kept everything in one account. Others set up alt accounts and have one for IS and one for Clans.

Now CW is out.

If you have one account you are now stuck playing one set of mechs in CW for the duration of your contract.

Those with 2 accounts can play either set at will, regardless of contract terms.

Just thought I'd point this out.

Some won't care, others might.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

*gasp*

There are restrictions in CW?

Oh my...

Whatever are we going to do??

-----

If you're going to run Hard Mode (CW), you have to abide by the rules of Hard Mode.

... and then there's the Public and Private queues, where there are no restrictions.

#3 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

I love it.

Except it seems to have fanned teh fires of the clan whiners.

Otherwise, its been great going up against full faction teams (both clans and IS)

#4 Chem1cal

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

I think this is just poor programming, it makes no nevermind to lore if you're able to have multiple factions (You should get less LP) but the multi-account theory gets the perm-contract LP bonus. 2 accounts is just a new grind where you don't get the MC you paid for in the first place.

* If one account can't play both sides then I think two accounts should be considered against the Terms of Service and bannable/enforced.

Edited by Chem1cal, 17 December 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

I have 2 accounts. One for Inner Sphere, one for Clan. I made the Clan account as soon as I realized PGI wouldn't let us have multiple characters per account. I do not regret it even one tiny bit. Yes, I had to re-purchase modules for my Clan mechs, but I also got a lot of C-bills and GXP trying to master my Clan mechs with Premium time. The modules are the only downside, really, but since I bought almost all my Clan mechs for real money and since I don't need any more Inner Sphere mechs (I have 44 of them and I only really play 5 or 6 regularly), I don't have anything to do with my money except to buy modules.

I do want to buy 2 Mad Dog's for C-bills. Those will probably be the last new mechs I buy for a long time. After that, it's all gravy and just wasting money on multiple modules because I don't want any more stuff.

The endgame. Just like the rest of the game, but with less angst.

#6 TIggerstYle

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Ab, CA

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:23 PM

i Also suggested something similar in a thread i started, They should allow a person who has purchased the clan packages or even the Phoenix or Resistance packs ie. Paying Customers, to have 2 factions at least. I've purchased every package this game has ever had but because my unit is aligned with Davion I have $300 in mechs i cant use. In CW that is.
And for every moron who is about to say" go play in pub queue then" your missing my point. As PAYING customers we should get some sort of benefit for , in my case, soaking about $1000 into this game. You want to let everybody do it fine by me, but at least give me the option to use the mechs i paid hard earned cash for.
And for the other clowns who i'm sure will chime in and say "then just switch factions" that's not the answer either. I have been playing with the same group for years, so i should just quit because some of them don't have clan packages and we couldn't align with the Clans?

2 factions solves everything, you want to cut my LP in half for it i'm fine with that. Right now LP does diddly anyway.

Edited by TIggerstYle, 17 December 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#7 Alex Warden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSearching...

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 17 December 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

I have 2 accounts. One for Inner Sphere, one for Clan. I made the Clan account as soon as I realized PGI wouldn't let us have multiple characters per account. I do not regret it even one tiny bit. Yes, I had to re-purchase modules for my Clan mechs, but I also got a lot of C-bills and GXP trying to master my Clan mechs with Premium time. The modules are the only downside, really, but since I bought almost all my Clan mechs for real money and since I don't need any more Inner Sphere mechs (I have 44 of them and I only really play 5 or 6 regularly), I don't have anything to do with my money except to buy modules.

I do want to buy 2 Mad Dog's for C-bills. Those will probably be the last new mechs I buy for a long time. After that, it's all gravy and just wasting money on multiple modules because I don't want any more stuff.

The endgame. Just like the rest of the game, but with less angst.

well, i would have made it regardless, because i am one of those "stupid lore fanatics", or how some call us... i would never have mixed up both factions on one character, so i was prepared for this over a year ago...

sure, some people in the our unit regret a little that they focused so much on the "cool toys", namely clan mechs, but i warned them a long time ago that this was gonna happen... they adapt, and grind out IS dropdecks for now :)

View PostTIggerstYle, on 17 December 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

They should allow a person who has purchased the clan packages or even the Phoenix or Resistance packs ie. Paying Customers, to have 2 factions at least.

i am elite founder, Overlord Phoenix and bought the wave 2 up to the Hellbringer for this clan account... i also payed alot of money on premium, bays, some mechs, xp and other fluff for my 2 active accounts...

i´d say i´m a paying customer with enough money spent to "feel entitled" as some do... and i say: nope, faction should be a choise... if we jump the timeline at some point (not TOO soon i hope) i am fine with IS pilots winning the rights to use clan mechs... but until then, neop... i know, easy to say for me, i can play my clanmechs (which i barely do btw, because i mostly play with my unit anyway, currently for Davion) ... but honestly, i think i earned it, because i put some thought into my decisions :P there you go, that´s "entitlement" :D

multiple pilots on 1 account, that would be another story... but then i want an actual avatar for those pilots (an old-eve portrait would do ;) )

Edited by Alex Warden Wolf, 17 December 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#8 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

I really wish I'd made a 2nd account when the Stormcrows went on the great C-bill sale, my first clan mech purchase. I should have used a new account with a cadet bonus to buy them, but instead I used my regular account. Now I only have one account with a bazillion IS mechs and 3 clan mechs.

I have no intention of XPing them now. I will wait for another C-bill sale and create a new account at that time, then sell the Stormcrows on my IS account.

Let this be a lesson to you noobs....create a separate clan account now!

#9 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

I asked this question in the Town Hall last night, and I think Russ missed the point of the question.

He made it out as a if you want to switch factions its "only 7 days"

The point is some set up 2 accounts and can switch back and forth all day long to their hearts content. Those who have one account, actually are restricted.

It was an unintended consequence I'm sure, but they need to address this.

#10 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

You've always been able to have multiple accounts.

You can only advance one account at a time.

There is no unintended consequence here.

If one player could advance multiple accounts at the same time, then there might be a problem. But if anybody wants to cause mischief by playing both sides on separate accounts, I say go for it.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 18 December 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#11 Lazor Sharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

I would like for PGI to have a one time only transfer of all of my/our clan mech's, and all other clan related content, to a alt account......

#12 Shaka808

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHonolulu

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

Except with two accounts you can advance both accounts in the same day/week. The 2 day thing seems very counter intuitive from a business side. Your forcing people to NOT play your game. Also arguments of well just play non CW is also counter intutive. CW is the new thing (its also beta so allowing people to play both sides would actually help testing, once its out of beta I would agree to more strict regulations regarding multiple accounts/time limits between contract switching)

#13 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 18 December 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

You've always been able to have multiple accounts.

You can only advance one account at a time.

There is no unintended consequence here.

If one player could advance multiple accounts at the same time, then there might be a problem. But if anybody wants to cause mischief by playing both sides on separate accounts, I say go for it.

Durant, I think you are missing the point as well.

When the Clan mechs started coming out, some people set up second accounts so that they would have one account for IS and one account for Clan. No harm no foul. Other kept all mechs, IS and Clan, in one account.

Those that kept everything in one account now are restricted in CW. Those that have two accounts can play either side at their whim. Log in as A and play Clan, log in as B and play IS. If you have only One account it is restricted to contract length. Two accounts, no real restriction.

Having two accounts actually defeats the restriction that Russ was talking about.

If this had been explained to all when Clan mechs were released, then fine. But at that time PGI didn't say, "oh, if you want back and forth between all your mechs, Clan and IS, in CW, then you'll need to set up a second account for your Clan mechs".

Its no sweat off my back as I got fed up with CW very quickly and won't be involved again until I see some major changes in the format/maps.

Those that are playing with all mechs in one account. Well, right now it sucks to be them.

#14 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

They shouldn't have had to, RW. People should have been smart enough to figure that out for themselves. When the devs said you have to pick your faction and that there would be penalties for going back and forth, you should have figured out that picking a faction would have restrictions, including the usage of faction 'Mechs.

This game mode isn't for super-mercenaries that want to play all sides at their own whim. And it never should be.

#15 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:14 PM

Perhaps as the gifting system advances we'll be able to gift 'mechs, which would solve the issue - just make a second account and gift the other 'faction' mechs to it.

#16 TIggerstYle

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Ab, CA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

Duran't i'd like to know what you think the difference is between a person having 2 accounts or a person having 1 account with 2 alias'?Are both not accomplishing the same thing?. One just goes about it in a more painfull and slow way. Your argument will be what, Money and XP gains shouldn't be shared between aliases, no problem completely agree. but at least let me share mc between the 2.

#17 Shaka808

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHonolulu

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 18 December 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

They shouldn't have had to, RW. People should have been smart enough to figure that out for themselves. When the devs said you have to pick your faction and that there would be penalties for going back and forth, you should have figured out that picking a faction would have restrictions, including the usage of faction 'Mechs.

This game mode isn't for super-mercenaries that want to play all sides at their own whim. And it never should be.

Except they said that AFTER the clan mechs were sold. Thats what people are upset about they werent told hey give us your hundreds of dollars you wont be able to use down the road potentially. IF they had said you will only be able to use clan mechs or IS mechs in CW drops so make sure you dont give us any money then that would be a whole different story.

#18 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

I have actually been thinking about this a lot lately. When Clan mechs were first announced I thought to myself that I should create a second account for just my Clan mechs. At the time I decided not to do so because when MWO first launched I remembered them having a rule of one pilot per account.

Because of that rule I mistakenly thought that it meant you could only have one account per person. I knew at the time there would be no way for PGI to know this, but I wanted to play by the rules or at least my interpretation of the rule.

By doing so I have handicapped myself in CW, luckily I do not play CW much. If I did I would be quite frustrated because I would only be able to choose from half of my mechs at any given time.

For the idiots (or goody two shoes?) like myself who did not separate them with two different accounts I have to assume we are stuck? Although I could see that hurting PGI in the long run because my plan is to just play only one faction and only one set of mechs. Meaning they will not longer get my hard earned cash for Clan mechs in the future. Why buy a mech that I can't play at end game base on my faction choice? Exactly!

That said I guess switching faction is viable to many, but to me it seems like I will be penalized by doing so because the rewards are greater the longer you commit to a faction. And since I have had a favorite Clan and IS faction since I started playing tabletop I'd like to be able to have a lifetime commitment to my favorite on each side.

Just my thoughts.

#19 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 21 March 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

I have actually been thinking about this a lot lately. When Clan mechs were first announced I thought to myself that I should create a second account for just my Clan mechs. At the time I decided not to do so because when MWO first launched I remembered them having a rule of one pilot per account.

Because of that rule I mistakenly thought that it meant you could only have one account per person. I knew at the time there would be no way for PGI to know this, but I wanted to play by the rules or at least my interpretation of the rule.

By doing so I have handicapped myself in CW, luckily I do not play CW much. If I did I would be quite frustrated because I would only be able to choose from half of my mechs at any given time.

For the idiots (or goody two shoes?) like myself who did not separate them with two different accounts I have to assume we are stuck? Although I could see that hurting PGI in the long run because my plan is to just play only one faction and only one set of mechs. Meaning they will not longer get my hard earned cash for Clan mechs in the future. Why buy a mech that I can't play at end game base on my faction choice? Exactly!

That said I guess switching faction is viable to many, but to me it seems like I will be penalized by doing so because the rewards are greater the longer you commit to a faction. And since I have had a favorite Clan and IS faction since I started playing tabletop I'd like to be able to have a lifetime commitment to my favorite on each side.

Just my thoughts.

Just be a merc that switches factions and you can play both sides.

#20 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

In case anyone was wondering. They do not have the functionality to merge accounts. I asked a few months ago. And they simply don't have that ability. I doubt they'll make it possible either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users